I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Double-sided Rod
Posted by: Tony Sanchez (---.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: April 23, 2018 01:21PM

Has anyone experimented with a double-sided rod? This would be with casting guides along top and spinning guides on the bottom and using 2 plate-type reel seats.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Double-sided Rod
Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: April 23, 2018 01:42PM

Tony,
Why in the world would you want to have a rod that is 2-5 times heavier and less responsive than a conventionally wrapped - single rod.

However, why don't you build such a rod and let us know your thoughts after you have used it for 10 years - both as a casting rod and as a spinning rod.

Always willing to try unique ideas.

Good luck

Posted by: brian rossi (107.77.75.---)
Date: April 23, 2018 01:53PM

I believe there was an article about doing something similar. The difference was spiral wrapping the casting side so you used the same running guides for both. Still not sure why somebody would really need such a rod but if I were going to do it that would be the way.

Date: April 23, 2018 01:54PM

I can see a lot of problems with it too but the thought just came to me and figured I would ask if anyone has tried it.

Posted by: Donald La Mar (---.lightspeed.lsvlky.sbcglobal.net)
Date: April 23, 2018 02:03PM

Seems to me you would have either heavy (as in mass) bait caster with questionable spinning capability, or a heavy (as in mass) spinning rod with questionable bait casting capability.

Having a hard time thinking about a single blank doing double duty with guides and wraps everywhere being a fun thing to fish.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: April 23, 2018 02:10PM

Tony,
Actually one thing that does work pretty well and that is to simply use a spinning reel seat and guide setup and then use either a casting reel on the rod or a spinning reel.

Remember the picture of one of the President Bush's on the cover of some magazine holding a spinning reel upside down?

So, if our president says it is all right, then we can all do it.

But, actually, if you want to put a casting reel on a spinning reel - go for it. It will work all right. -- With the typical guide spacing of a spinning reel, it is quite possible that the line might be touching or be below the blank on a loaded rod when used as a casting reel, but that won't hurt the function of the rod.

Good luck

Posted by: Matthew Pitrowski (---.lightspeed.milwwi.sbcglobal.net)
Date: April 23, 2018 02:18PM

kind of a crazy ider and the one thing not mentioned is how you or what kind of tip top do you use or make to accommodate both sets of guides ?
you often see people using a spinning rod upside down or using a casting reel on a spinning rod but not so much the other way casting rod with spinning reel.

The best day to be alive is always tomorrow !!
Think out side the box when all else fails !!!
Wi.

Posted by: John DeMartini (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: April 23, 2018 02:19PM

The best education and experience comes from doing and then learning from the results. We know that when we see a sign "HOT SURFACE" there is always someone who touches it and burns themselves. The consensus is that it is not the way to go, however, building such a rod will enhance your experience and building skills and be a good conversation piece.
I agree with Roger try it and give us a report.

Good luck

John

Date: April 23, 2018 02:31PM

Matthew: An old vintage Agate stirrup tiptop would work

Posted by: Gregg Zambrovitz (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: April 23, 2018 03:47PM

Interesting idea - for me I think if I was looking for a type of all in one deal - I'd probably try to find a 2 piece rod that will do the job, and find an extra bottom segment. Probably can cheat the top running guides to work with either spinning or casting - but then you'd have two bottom pieces - one built for casting the other for spinning. Then again, I'd probably just build two rods.....lol....interesting idea thought having both on one.

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: April 23, 2018 05:04PM

I think it could be done satisfactorily with minimum weight gain by using spiral wrap (as stated above) with two reduction spinning guides for the spin side. So the running guides would be the same for both reels. I would consider using electrical tape or similar for attaching both reels. I'm not saying it would be an optimum rod, but I don't think it would be a disaster, either. It would gain the weight of two spin guides and lose some weight in the reel seat function. Or at least break even. Limit the line to about 15 braid for spinning.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: April 23, 2018 05:52PM

You could use fly-rod snake guides on a spinning or casting rod, or you could use roller guides on a fly rod, but the generally agreed upon goal of rod builders is to supply the best rod for its intended use.

Posted by: ben belote (---.zoominternet.net)
Date: April 23, 2018 06:18PM

Tony, think about it for a while, then build it and enjoy it...

Posted by: David Parsons (---.s16300.c3-0.drf-ubr1.atw-drf.pa.cable.rcncustomer.com)
Date: April 23, 2018 07:42PM

a stirrup tip like tony said or I also have tips that screw on to a ferrule that gets glued to the rod tip and you can spin ring 360 degrees . if you need some email me

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: April 23, 2018 08:13PM

Tony
I have not built a double sided rod -casting/spinning

But I did build a double sided rod, all casting about 8 years ago, guides all on top verses a spiral wrapped guide train to demonstrate how much further the spiral would cast opposed to an all on top guided train.
(link posted below).
The result was that all the extra weight hindered to rods over all performance.
Based on that I would advise against it

[rodbuilding.org]

Posted by: Tony Sanchez (---.biz.bhn.net)
Date: April 23, 2018 08:13PM

Thanks to everyone for the feedback. It was just an idea that popped into my head today. I have a couple of other project rods that I need to cpmplete first, but I may try to make a 'double duty" rod - i like the spiral wrap idea.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: April 24, 2018 12:12AM

Tony,
Ever try a spinning reel on one of your casting rods? Even though it's about the worse combo there is due to the low and small guides, I think you'll be surprised by how well it does. Might help you brainstorm a bit.

Posted by: John McCleish (---.ip4.gtt.net)
Date: April 24, 2018 01:49PM

Rodmaker magazine. December 2015.

Mac

Posted by: ben belote (---.zoominternet.net)
Date: April 24, 2018 02:05PM

I use to modify a DPS seat so that i could rotate the hoods from top(casting) to bottom(spinning) and leave the guides on the bottom for both..

Posted by: Jay Dubay (---.clv.wideopenwest.com)
Date: April 25, 2018 03:37AM

Use a Carbon tube Tennessee handle with a Fuji plate reel seat, And use a set of american tackle Airwave guides. It will Fish

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster