I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Matte finish on epoxy
Posted by: John Wright (---.om.om.cox.net)
Date: April 23, 2018 02:00AM

I purchases a couple of blanks that are matte black finish. I want to keep the matte black theme and was wondering if anyone knows of a way to give epoxy a matte finish. I saw this rod with regular epoxy finish on wraps and it really didn't look very good. So I was looking around to find a way to give the epoxy a matte finish. Otherwise I guess its old school and semi-gloss varnish.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Matte finish on epoxy
Posted by: Ross Pearson (---.dlth.qwest.net)
Date: April 23, 2018 07:18AM

If you lightly rub just the areas you want to change (thread wraps?) with some super fine steel wool or a fine scrub pad, it will dull those spots resulting in a matte finish look there.

Date: April 23, 2018 08:32AM

I'll give that a try. Thanks.

Posted by: ben belote (---.zoominternet.net)
Date: April 23, 2018 08:42AM

Most of my rod wraps loose their gloss after a few fishing trips..lol.

Date: April 23, 2018 08:47AM

ben belote Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Most of my rod wraps loose their gloss after a few
> fishing trips..lol.

Good point!

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: April 23, 2018 09:11AM

You can add a "flattening" compound to epoxy to give the epoxy a matt finish.
Essentially the same thing that is added to poly finish to either achieve a gloss, semi gloss or flat finish.

Try some experiments and mix in some baby powder or talc into the epoxy finish. Do a bunch of testing on scrap blanks to find the effect you want to achieve and to also insure that you have not adversely affected the properties of the epoxy guide finish.

Good luck

Posted by: Mud Hole Custom Tackle (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: April 23, 2018 03:40PM

Hi - for a matte type finish, you may want to consider one of Seymo's products found here:

[www.mudhole.com]

When it comes to finishes and the final look - opinions vary, some like it - some don't.

So before using it on a project, you might want to get some scrap/practice blank segments and try it there first to be sure it is the look you are going for.

Hope this helps - thanks.

Regards.
Team Mud Hole Custom Tackle
Web: [www.mudhole.com]
Email: sales@mudhole.com
Toll Free Phone #: 1-866-790-RODS (7637)

Stay Connected with us:
FaceBook: [www.facebook.com]
YouTube: [www.youtube.com]
Instagram: [www.instagram.com]
Tik Tok: Tik Tok: [www.tiktok.com]
Twitter: @mudholetackle

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (172.58.37.---)
Date: April 23, 2018 03:43PM

Klass Kite has a flattening agent for their epoxy and urethane paints, wasn't expensive and you get a decades supply as you use very little for each rod finishing job and your thread work pretty much disappears. They also have a satin catalyst which I haven't used.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/23/2018 03:48PM by Spencer Phipps.

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: April 23, 2018 05:42PM

Thanks for the ideas, Mudhole and Spencer. Mudhole, does the matte product result in a fairly good build, or is it more like Lumiseal and Permagloss.?

Posted by: Jay Dubay (---.clv.wideopenwest.com)
Date: April 23, 2018 06:44PM

Posted by: Christopher Lee (---.sttl.wa.frontiernet.net)
Date: April 24, 2018 01:30AM

I have found that rubbing with denatured alcohol and a paper towel prior to the epoxy fully setting tends to dull the finish. That was discovered unintentionally.

Posted by: chris adams (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: April 24, 2018 09:24AM

Michael, that seymo product is thin like water so it more like permagloss consistency.

Posted by: Justin Carlson (---.64-179-164.vastbb.net)
Date: April 24, 2018 08:55PM

3M makes a 3000 grit and 5000 grit sand paper for the automotive industry. You may be able to try using this on your epoxy after its dried. Just remember to use it wet. I may have to try this on a test piece. When I use it on clear coat on a car it dulls the finish but you don't see the scratches.

Date: April 29, 2018 09:32AM

Thanks everyone. Lots of really great ideas. I can see I will be doing a lot of testing in the next few months. Will post photos of the result and the way that gave me what i am looking for.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster