I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Beginner question on guides and glue
Posted by: Phil Eisermann (---.ec.res.rr.com)
Date: April 21, 2018 11:09AM

Hi all,

I have found this site to have answered many beginner questions , both the FAQ and forum. Two things I haven’t found that I hope someone can answer before I start my first rod build:

I bought titanium coated guides (I fish primarily saltwater) . After filing/grinding to get a smooth transition, obviously the coating has been damaged. Do I need to re-coat or protect them somehow? Or will the epoxy that is applied over the thread wraps protect from corrosion? I assume the epoxy is enough, just want to be sure.

The second question I have found info on. But I found lots of different opinions, and lack experience to decide, so I though I would ask here. I have some “marine epoxy” left over from another project. Is that acceptable for the reel seat and cork handle? It says it forms a waterproof bond in fresh or saltwater.

Thanks for any info.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Beginner question on guides and glue
Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: April 21, 2018 12:22PM

Phil,
Especially with salt water guides, do yourself a favor and do not grind or file on the guides. Work with the guides to get a perfect wrap without doing any grinding or filing on the guides.
You can use a sharpie, to recolor the guides, but that does not give you much protection. But, if you do a good job of coating the guides, including the tunnels, you will be in good shape.

Any two part epoxy that has the thickness, or thinness that you need for the job and cures completely - no matter the age or brand will work just fine to assemble fishing rods.

But, for guide coating, please use one of the excellent 2-part thread coating epoxies that are sold for this specific purpose.

Good luck

Posted by: Phil Eisermann (---.ec.res.rr.com)
Date: April 21, 2018 07:39PM

Thanks! I will see about not grinding/filing the guides. I did buy the rod dancer epoxy kit, so I should be good to go. Thank you for the feedback

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: April 22, 2018 10:22AM

If your "marine epoxy" is a paste type product, you may find it difficult to easily use in what should be fairly close fitting assemblies. A thinner viscosity product, or a gel type epoxy, might be easier for you to use.

Posted by: Joe Vanfossen (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: April 22, 2018 10:25AM

Roger,

Use a chloride free sharpie, or the late Bill Stevens will promptly dismiss you from the craft ;-) I've greatly missed reading Bill's thoughts and ideas.

Phil,

Chlorides will react with stainless steel to produce micro fractures. On the tip of a guide foot, it is largely immaterial, but in high wear parts it can prove catastrophic.

As far as the marine epoxy, as long as it's an adhesive epoxy, it should do just fine for bonding grips and reel seats. As a new builder, try to avoid 5 minute epoxies. You just won't have enough time to place the part align, double and triple check before the epoxy starts to set.

Posted by: Mark Talmo (---.lightspeed.irvnca.sbcglobal.net)
Date: April 22, 2018 05:56PM

Phil,
You received very good advice from qualified veteran rod builders. Deviating too much from the advice from such can be risky.
Roger, do SOLID Ti saltwater guides also fall into your “No dressing of the feet” as well? If so, please afford explanation.

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: April 22, 2018 08:35PM

Generally, with many of today's very well made guides, there is really no reason to do anything to them; except to fasten them to the blanks , wrap and coat them.

In general, if you can do without putting a mark, grinder, or file oln the guide foot - you will have the guide as originally designed by the guide manufacturer for maximum guide live and durability.

Good luck

Posted by: Lance Dupre (---.mycingular.net)
Date: April 23, 2018 07:07PM

Joe Vanfossen Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Roger,
>
> Use a chloride free sharpie, or the late Bill
> Stevens will promptly dismiss you from the craft
> ;-) I've greatly missed reading Bill's thoughts
> and ideas.
>
> Phil,
>
> Chlorides will react with stainless steel to
> produce micro fractures. On the tip of a guide
> foot, it is largely immaterial, but in high wear
> parts it can prove catastrophic.
>
> As far as the marine epoxy, as long as it's an
> adhesive epoxy, it should do just fine for bonding
> grips and reel seats. As a new builder, try to
> avoid 5 minute epoxies. You just won't have
> enough time to place the part align, double and
> triple check before the epoxy starts to set.

Correct Joe. Sharpie markers will cause corrosion on guides that were ground. Painting them with testers or similar paint is the preferred way.

Posted by: Lance Schreckenbach (---.lightspeed.hstntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: April 24, 2018 07:10AM

Low chloride industrial type paint markers will work also. I believe if you just coat them with epoxy and get an airtight seal and the epoxy doesn't crack you will be alright. I don't believe the introduction of chlorides at low temperatures (below 140 F) and minimal stress will cause micro structure fractures but rather galvanic corrosion due to the higher ferritic content of the material that SS guides are made from. Just saying.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster