I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Noisy rod build
Posted by: Bruce Phillips (---.sub-174-234-137.myvzw.com)
Date: April 20, 2018 12:37AM

My 3rd rod build and i used a MHX blended 8 foot rod with cork grips and graphite reel seat. The handle resonates or transmits sounds that i have never heard any other rod do, it will amplify the little bit of noise of the reel or if you bump it. Instead of using the foam core for the reel seat i used the ole masking type way, did i do something wrong or is this the nature of the rod being that sensitive?

Thanks Bruce

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Noisy rod build
Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: April 20, 2018 09:56AM

Bruce,
The secret is to tune the rod so that the sounds are in harmony with nature.

No issue. Some rods like to creak and some like to whistle. Enjoy the sounds of nature.

Good luck

Posted by: Bruce Phillips (---.sub-174-234-144.myvzw.com)
Date: April 20, 2018 03:11PM

LOL thank you..

Date: April 20, 2018 06:25PM

Bruce,
Noise in a rod is a rather uncommon occurrence, but it does happen now and then. The general source of the sound is the reel seat working in concert with the blank to create the sound.

As long as your glue joints are sound and well made, it will have no effect on the rod or its performance.

Good luck

Posted by: herb canter (70.40.111.---)
Date: April 20, 2018 06:32PM

I had a rod that i just wrapped make some noise when i first starting to fish it , i was pretty sure it was the guides since the epoxy was about a week old and had not been flexed since wrapping it . I just thought it to be a normal occurrence , i'm not certain though.

Posted by: ben belote (---.zoominternet.net)
Date: April 20, 2018 06:56PM

I always thought this noise was the epoxy around the guide tunnel breaking free from the rod. this was another reason for the forhan lock wrap, it stabilized this area.

Posted by: Bruce Phillips (---.sub-174-234-129.myvzw.com)
Date: April 20, 2018 07:41PM

I tapped the rod on the floor and the sound travels all the way to the butt end. My guides are forhan wrapped and it sat for 2 weeks before i used it and it maybe the characteristics of the rod.

Thanks again for replies.

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.97.252.156.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: April 20, 2018 08:21PM

It adds new meaning to sensitivity. The more signals you get the better.

Posted by: David Miller (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: April 21, 2018 01:00PM

Better put a patent out on that rod build. Call it the Rattler Rod and it will sell like crazy.

Posted by: Mark Talmo (---.lightspeed.irvnca.sbcglobal.net)
Date: April 22, 2018 08:33PM

Bruce,
I am jealous and envious. I’ll give ‘ya $3000.00 for that musical rod.

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Date: April 22, 2018 08:36PM

If I was that builder, the rod would be on its way, just as soon as the $3,000 was in the builder's account.

Be safe

Date: April 22, 2018 08:54PM

I would have known better with you, Roger. lol

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Date: April 22, 2018 09:08PM

All joking aside, you guys have really got my curiosity up with this “Noisy rod” phenomenon. At the risk of not sounding serious, I want to build a “Peter Frampton Rod” which talks back to me!!! Please, more info / tales / facts!!!!!!!! Maybe Roger will give me $5000.00 for a Frampton rod.

Mark Talmo

Posted by: Bruce Phillips (---.sub-174-234-137.myvzw.com)
Date: April 22, 2018 10:42PM

Instead of While my guitar weeps by the Beatles, i could get it to play while my rod weeps. lol

Posted by: John Cates (---.sub-174-207-20.myvzw.com)
Date: April 23, 2018 09:49AM

Roger

By far the funniest thing I have ever read on this forum. Thank you for that and all you contribute.

Flex Coat Company
Professional Rod Building Supplies
www.flexcoat.com

Posted by: Randy Kruger (---.dhcp.klmz.mi.charter.com)
Date: May 02, 2018 09:52PM

Are you using Rec Recoil guides by chance? They can make a ton of noise sometimes..

Posted by: Bruce Phillips (---.sub-174-234-131.myvzw.com)
Date: May 03, 2018 01:42AM

Randy Kruger Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Are you using Rec Recoil guides by chance? They
> can make a ton of noise sometimes..

No sir i used airwave guides...it's not the guides making noise, i guess it's just that sensitive of a rod blank.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster