I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Thread Art Loosing Tension at the Ends
Posted by: sam Ledbetter (---.cable.conwaycorp.net)
Date: April 18, 2018 05:14PM

A problem I run into when doing thread art on my rods is that the threads become loose towards the ends of the wrap in both direction and in completing the wrap. The thread tension seems to be good at first but as I add more thread, to the pattern, it falls apart until the thread starts to bunch up. It occurs at both ends. I am using more layers of masking tap on the butt end of the wrap than on the tip end of the wrap.

Any suggestions on how to prevent this from occurring or as to what I am doing wrong so that I can adjust my technique?

Thanks

Sam

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Thread Art Loosing Tension at the Ends
Posted by: Bruce Robb (---.gci.net)
Date: April 18, 2018 06:45PM

I experience the same problem, so I run my wrap a couple pattern repeats longer than I actually want it to be. Then tie down the wrap before I get to the troublesome repeats.

Pesco Ergo Sum

Posted by: Matthew Pitrowski (---.lightspeed.milwwi.sbcglobal.net)
Date: April 18, 2018 08:13PM

what type of thread art wrap are you doing that would help get you the right answers

The best day to be alive is always tomorrow !!
Think out side the box when all else fails !!!
Wi.

Posted by: Grant Darby (172.92.64.---)
Date: April 18, 2018 08:33PM

Skip the masking tape. Use the thin double sided tape. Your pattern is most likley sliding up or down the blank. Butt wraps?
Tape a popsicle stick at each end (grip and tip), a turn of the two sided tape and you're good to go. Add another tape turn after so many passes. Cut through your tape bands on top of the popsicle stick to remove your waste

Posted by: herb canter (70.40.111.---)
Date: April 18, 2018 08:53PM

One of my biggest issues is having the thread lose tension the further i move away from where i started and i'm talking just regular guide wrapping in general , instead of snipping the excess after starting the wrap i tape the excess past where the guide wrap ends which helps snug the tension up at the start of the wrap .

I know probably the wrong way but haven't found a better way yet.

Date: April 19, 2018 09:34AM

I am doing fairly standard cross wraps. I am copying various patterns from Dale Clemens' book "Custom Rod Thread Art" and other patterns I can get off the internet. the patterns have as few as 40 cross overs and as many as 96.

Sam

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: April 19, 2018 12:57PM

THe only problem with using those resources is you don't have someone who can help when you run into a problem like this

Date: April 19, 2018 01:32PM

Yes, that is very true. I have been teaching myself this craft of rod building and thread art as I go along. Getting better but I know there are tricks of the trade that kind make it quicker and results more pleasing.

Posted by: John Wright (---.om.om.cox.net)
Date: April 29, 2018 10:03AM

When I do a cross wrap I will cut three or four lengths of thread, Tape them to the but section then warp all four at once up the rod. When I get to about 1/2' beyond where I want the pattern to end, I continue around the rod to the opposite side and wrap down the rod, then tape the thread at the but section. Grab the next three or four threads and repeat until pattern is done. I can normally do a cross wrap using this method in about 30 minutes or so, not that I am in a hurry building is a way for me to relax, but one thread at a time can get boring.

Anyway, I'm sure there are other ways to do the same thing, this is just the way that works for me.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster