I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Latest opinions on the NFC blanks many recently ordered .
Posted by: herb canter (70.40.111.---)
Date: April 18, 2018 01:22AM

So , i know a ton of anglers on these boards took advantage of the 50% discount on NFC's blanks , would love to get feedback from many of you who received them .

Thank you very much

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Latest opinions on the NFC blanks many recently ordered .
Date: April 18, 2018 02:39PM

The silence on this one pretty much tells me all i need to know lol.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: April 18, 2018 02:44PM

Not really, you didn't specify what your looking for, there is a lot of ground to cover otherwise. 4 series of materials, many species, many tecchniques. We-re talking Gary Loomis here, really expect sub par rods/blanks from him?

Date: April 18, 2018 03:05PM

Nonsense Spencer , i think everybody knows exactly what i meant , if i wanted to know about specific models or materials i would of made sure i mentioned that in my inquiry . I knew my second post would get someone to bite so thanks for that .

Posted by: David DeBruhl (170.7.248.---)
Date: April 18, 2018 03:08PM

I have built two of the Delta series for friends of the DS-6107. 6"10" Mag-Lite XF tip. Built both spinning with Fuji TVS seats, Winn split grips and KR guide setup. 16H,8H,5.5M, with 4.5 runners. Casts smooth and handles fish easily with 15 Lb. braid. We catch mostly spots in the lakes we fish 2-4 Lb avg. Good sensitivity for this technique where the bite is 20-35 feet deep and subtle. Very nice inexpensive setup for drop shotting ( When these are 50% off). A little on the limber side. Would like to see an offering of Medium action to stiffen up in same length. Also just finished an IM-MB705 7" MHF casting with the carbon fiber split grips for myself. Going this weekend to try out. Very light, casts great in the yard and feels good. We'll see if this dog will hunt.

Date: April 18, 2018 03:17PM

David DeBruhl Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I have built two of the Delta series for friends
> of the DS-6107. 6"10" Mag-Lite XF tip. Built both
> spinning with Fuji TVS seats, Winn split grips and
> KR guide setup. 16H,8H,5.5M, with 4.5 runners.
> Casts smooth and handles fish easily with 15 Lb.
> braid. We catch mostly spots in the lakes we fish
> 2-4 Lb avg. Good sensitivity for this technique
> where the bite is 20-35 feet deep and subtle. Very
> nice inexpensive setup for drop shotting ( When
> these are 50% off). A little on the limber side.
> Would like to see an offering of Medium action to
> stiffen up in same length. Also just finished an
> IM-MB705 7" MHF casting with the carbon fiber
> split grips for myself. Going this weekend to try
> out. Very light, casts great in the yard and feels
> good. We'll see if this dog will hunt.

Thats fantastic feedback Dave , thank you . The # 1 concern/complaint / criticism i have come across regarding NFC blanks in general is regarding their backbone and being a little too limber so you mentioning that is not surprising at all . Even on blanks that are rated for heavier action it seems they tend to be less robust than people are used to .

Thanks again.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/18/2018 03:28PM by herb canter.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: April 18, 2018 04:46PM

I have no idea what a "heavy action" is.

Posted by: Tony Tomanek (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: April 18, 2018 04:51PM

Have 4 SJ 604. Building one now and a friend has one finished. Love the blank. I am going to order an HM 7' for my next blank. It's all because of Gary Loomis.

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: April 18, 2018 05:47PM

Herb, I'm curious.................what did the "silence" tell you?

Posted by: Lance Schreckenbach (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: April 18, 2018 08:37PM

The 7' HM blank I got was comparable in action to other HM blanks like the K2 or the Point Blanks. I guess it might be the model you got.I do have an order in for an 8wt fly blank and few other other things and it is going on a month since I placed the order and it has not shipped yet.

Date: April 18, 2018 08:39PM

Phil Erickson Wrote:
> Herb, I'm curious.................what did the
> "silence" tell you?

To me it means two things Phil , # 1 would be that people don't have enough experience with them or # 2 , that they would prefer to stay silent because what they have to say isn't going to be as positive as what you would expect out of Gary Loomis branded sticks. Anglers by nature tend to praise the blanks that they have built great rods on.

That is why i asked for what people thought of them since many were bought over the past two months .

Date: April 18, 2018 08:42PM

Lance Schreckenbach Wrote:
> The 7' HM blank I got was comparable in action to
> other HM blanks like the K2 or the Point Blanks. I
> guess it might be the model you got.I do have an
> order in for an 8wt fly blank and few other other
> things and it is going on a month since I placed
> the order and it has not shipped yet.

Thanks Lance , everything i have heard about the HM blanks is very very positive and at their current price they're very tempting .

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: April 18, 2018 09:34PM

Same criticism about the original G Loomis rods back in the early days when bass fishing rods were short gripped, 5 1/2 - 6 1/2 ft broom handles. Just like fly rods, I think gear rods have regional influences, fly rods from the west were always designed around our more open spaces, gear rods shaped more toward the softer side for lighter presentations, less vegetation, clearer/deeper water, less heavy cover.
Was really surprised by my first St. Croix blank, the tip was much stiffer than I was used to from the west coast manufacturers.
The Delta rods I've used lost little to the all graphite rods in weight, casting response, or reaction time, but the tips were a bit softer than the all graphites I like. Doesn't sound like it should work that way, as that's sure not my experience with other composite blanks, but they found a way to minimize the fiberglass side of the costruction without losing the composite's serious durability and reserve power when needed. Saw some early pictures of the blank's development, the construction looked very much like the original Lamiglas Triflex blanks starting with thin walled glass and lower graphite overwraps of the glass inner blank. Just bought a Seeker Super Seeker blank of reported similar power and action, we'll see.
The all graphite blanks have been a pleasure to fish, but I did some talking to the people in the company before I started so I've had no surprises, the website now is much better than it was originally, still I've not been as adventurous as many need to be if your going to use these blanks in a big way. I've just been filling in holes in my blank selections from others that aren't available any longer.

Date: April 18, 2018 10:03PM

Lots of great information in your post Spencer & regional differences are something that many probably don't take into account but should.

Thank you

Posted by: Matthew Pitrowski (---.lightspeed.milwwi.sbcglobal.net)
Date: April 18, 2018 11:12PM

So , i know a ton of anglers on these boards took advantage of the 50% discount on NFC's blanks , would love to get feedback from many of you who received them .
Herb should have been more specific with you query feed back on what the rods, the shipping, the price, the quality. kind of a real open ended question
Spencer is right no nonsense in his response, we aren't mind readers

With the discount I was able to increase my inventory and have built quite a few in the past couple years for others/customers and NO problems never had a problem and get more requests for them than St croix

The best day to be alive is always tomorrow !!
Think out side the box when all else fails !!!
Wi.

Date: April 19, 2018 12:41AM

Matthew Paul Wrote:
> So , i know a ton of anglers on these boards took
> advantage of the 50% discount on NFC's blanks ,
> would love to get feedback from many of you who
> received them .
> Herb should have been more specific with you
> query feed back on what the rods, the shipping,
> the price, the quality. kind of a real open ended
> question
> Spencer is right no nonsense in his response, we
> aren't mind readers
>
>
> With the discount I was able to increase my
> inventory and have built quite a few in the past
> couple years for others/customers and NO problems
> never had a problem and get more requests for them
> than St croix

Matthew , spare me the "You need to qualify whether it's the shipping , the price etc...." @#$%& OK . I specifically said opinions on the blanks, PERIOD . It's no different than someone asking what they think about the Rainshadow brand or St. Croix brand of blanks , people respond with they like them a lot or they don't like them very much . Unless there is a specific inquiry about specific models than it's a basic general question .

You want specific , OK , lets see how many responses i get about the NFC LMX PSI surf blanks , anybody familiar with those ? Didn't think so , so lets keep it as NFC's blank opinions as a whole .

Don't take my response as an attack Matthew , i'm just too old for this very basic question being turned into something more than what it is. On another note i expect them to be much better than St. Croixs blanks which imo are grossly overpriced.

Thanks for your comment regardless.

Posted by: Eric MONTACLAIR (---.subs.proxad.net)
Date: April 19, 2018 01:44AM

I build some NFC and for me they.re some of the best (if not the best) you can afford.
MB 705-1 HM a do it all, but do it fine (very very good blank).
MB 661-1 HM ultra finesse but with power on the butt, never handled something comparable, a must have if you fish finicky fish (not too big).

A number of MB-664 and 665

NFC offer some Mag Bass on 8 foot, not so common and nice if you want it longer.

Posted by: Bill Sidney (---.gci.net)
Date: April 19, 2018 11:18AM

William Sidney
AK

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/19/2018 04:18PM by Bill Sidney.

Date: April 19, 2018 12:31PM

Bill Sidney Wrote:
> don't know still waiting for the rod .

LOL , i had a feeling some may still be waiting , they got mobbed with orders with that 50% off sale.

Posted by: David Baylor (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: April 19, 2018 03:35PM

Herb, I hesitate to even respond for fear of your response, but here goes. Your original post and your second post in this thread took place a mere 13 hours and 27 minutes apart. I don't know what your expectations were as to the number of responses you would have had in that time frame, but based on your second post, it clearly wasn't what you expected it to be. Perhaps a ton of anglers on these boards didn't take advantage of the 50% off sale? Or, and I include myself in this group, perhaps they weren't even aware of the sale. Or, perhaps those that took advantage of the sale, hadn't yet seen your post. Whatever the case, I certainly wouldn't have jumped to the conclusions that you did.

Those being that people don't have enough experience with them, and that the feedback wouldn't be as positive as one would expect from a blank whose name is tied to one of, if not the top legend in the industry. North Fork Composites has been around for a good period of time. Anything with the Loomis name attached to it is highly sought after. Particularly in the bass fishing world. There are a lot of people that have a lot of experience with North Fork Composites, blanks.

As for the responses possibly not being as positive as one would expect...... As Spencer said, you are talking about a product tied to Gary Loomis. To expect less than an outstanding blank would be IMO, ridiculous. If you're still with me and care about my opinion of the blanks, here goes

I bought two NFC blanks late last year during a 60% off sale. I certainly didn't expect an inferior product because the blanks were on sale. I expected exactly what I received. A beautifully crafted blank, with absolutely zero signs of imperfections. The finish of the blanks was impeccable. Second to none. Measurements were spot on to those published for the particular blanks I ordered. As to the blanks being under powered. I certainly wouldn't agree. One of the blanks I purchased was the DS6107 from the IM series of blanks. Initially I thought the blank was under powered, until I realized that the blank is a drop shot blank. A drop shot blank is a different animal than a spinning blank, a spin jig blank, or a casting blank. Once I put the blank into proper perspective in my mind, I wouldn't call it under powered at all.

The other blank I purchased was the MB 709. Also from the IM series. I doubt anyone with experience with that blank would call it under powered for what its specs are. If a person thinks that blank is under powered, then they aren't familiar with how different actions can make a blank feel more, or less, powerful.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster