I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

cork handle and reel seat mating surfaces
Posted by: Rick Derr (138.162.0.---)
Date: April 17, 2018 09:26AM

Newbie here so please be patient. I am building a spinning rod with a Fuji VSS handle system/reel seat. I think it is my fault but the cork grip and the VSS reel seat doesn't mate together on one side exactly. There is maybe 1/16 inch of the cork is above the reel seat mating surface. Since it has already been glued, can I just sand the cork some to make a perfect fit or will it be obvious where I tried sanding it? If I can sand the cork what grit would you all recommend I use. Keep in mind it is a very small imperfection and most likely could be left alone and no one would be the wiser but I would know.

Thanks in advance,
Rick

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: cork handle and reel seat mating surfaces
Posted by: Matthew Pitrowski (---.lightspeed.milwwi.sbcglobal.net)
Date: April 17, 2018 09:35AM

nothing a little 230 grit can't fix followed by some a bit finer to finish it off

The best day to be alive is always tomorrow !!
Think out side the box when all else fails !!!
Wi.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: April 17, 2018 10:26AM

Use masking tape to carefully cover all parts that are not cork, this will help keep any minor scratching to a minimum.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: April 17, 2018 11:12AM

Appears that you may have used the VSS16/15 reel seat with the cork grip that’s sized for the VSS16 reel seat. The VSS 16, and VSS 16/15 have different size barrels and thus require different cork grips. If you used the VSS17 and the cork grip made for it then I don’t know what happened. In either case sanding to fit will work.
Norm

Posted by: Rick Derr (138.162.0.---)
Date: April 17, 2018 11:45AM

Thanks guys. So 220 and finer and use masking tape for protecting the reel seat. Got it. Thanks again,
Rick

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: April 17, 2018 01:04PM

Rick,
I sand a lot of grips when making special cork grips.

Depending on how much cork needs to be removed, I may start with 80 grit and work down to 600 grit.

If you need to remove a lot, start with a coarse grit to make the removal go more quickly. If you need to remove a medium amount of material start with a 100 or 150 grit. etc. etc.

Good luck

Posted by: Bill Sidney (---.gci.net)
Date: April 17, 2018 02:06PM

Rick, when putting together a grip, reel seat , with rod, it is a good idea to DRY fit it all before you use EPOXY , I know this is kind of late, but on your next build it should help
a lot , I think ,

William Sidney
AK

Posted by: Donald R Campbell (---.socal.res.rr.com)
Date: April 17, 2018 02:59PM

Rick,

The problem probably was a result of the reaming out of the cork grip was not concentric with the outside of the cork grip. That can be pretty tuff to get that perfect. I fight it all the time, since I don't have a lath to chuck the grip in and ream it out.

Don Campbell
don@sensorfishingrods.com

Posted by: Roger Templon (---.jst.pa.atlanticbb.net)
Date: April 17, 2018 07:07PM

Try using a couple of fingernail emory boards for your sanding. They come in different grits and are easy to control where you are sanding.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster