I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Longevity of Winn Grips
Posted by: Fred Zimmermann (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: April 15, 2018 07:35AM

I use Winn grips on my clubs, they are very soft. They are by far my favorite grip. I do club repair and I almost exclusively install these things, we all love them. The only downfall is we will wear them out in one season, 2 if we don't play as much, and that is 13 grips that need replacing. Has anyone used the fishing grips on a consistent basis? Now that they have been around for a couple of years, I'd like to know.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Longevity of Winn Grips
Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: April 15, 2018 09:20AM

6 months to 5 years depending on the amount of use.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: April 15, 2018 11:40AM

As fishing grips the Winn grips have not been around all that long so it is difficult to tell how long they will last. I have installed a lot of Winn grips over the past few years and I have yet had to replace any of them. So far so good!
Norm

Posted by: Fred Zimmermann (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: April 15, 2018 01:15PM

roger wilson Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> 6 months to 5 years depending on the amount of
> use.

Hmm, not very long.

Posted by: herb canter (70.40.111.---)
Date: April 15, 2018 02:07PM

I love the feel and tackiness of Winn Grips but i can't stand all their designs as not a one appeals to me whatsoever . Unfortunately Mudhole decided to stop carrying their highly praised and tacky feeling Quip Grip with a far inferior Quick Grip material thats much slicker when wet and not near the quality of the old.

Rainshadows cold shrink i have not tried but it only comes in predetermined lengths which rules that out immediately .

If the Winn Grips lasted a minimum of 5 years i would say it's worth the money but 6 months minimum is ridiculous especially when i'm in the surf on a near daily basis .

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: April 15, 2018 02:13PM

Comparing the life of rod grips and golf grips may not be relevant, as golf grips are usually stuffed bag into the golf bag after each shot, this creates friction on the grip. I have used Winn golf grips for years and playing two to three times a week, my grips on the most used clubs last about three years. on the least used still have not replaced them after five years.

Posted by: ben belote (---.zoominternet.net)
Date: April 15, 2018 06:01PM

are Winn grips just a more costly EVA grip? Thanks. i never had one in hand

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: April 15, 2018 06:20PM

I know for a fact that they will last for several years of hard fishing, how much more I have no idea, because they have not been around that long. Most people who try ‘em love ‘em. They really do have a unique non slip feel about them. Like I mentioned above I have built and retro fitted a lot of rods over the past few years with Winn grips and so far have not replaced any of them. I do not think the fishing grips get the same type of wear and tear as golf grips do. I do not think EVA or cork handles would wear any better on golf clubs either.
Norm

Posted by: Sam Folds III (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: April 18, 2018 09:55PM

i have winn grips on multiple baitcasters that i fish with . and i fish a LOT. keeping them clean has been the biggest issue to date. ive noticed no appreciable wear as yet. i feel they will hold up better than eva, but not as well as cork. the wet grip performance is outstanding.

Posted by: Mud Hole Custom Tackle (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: April 19, 2018 02:43PM

Hey everyone - just wanted to mention a few things on this.

First, we have not heard of any wear issues. We sponsor a few Bassmaster Elites (Brandon Lester and Bradley Roy) and FLW Pro John Cox (who went back to Winn Grips on tour) - they all swear by them - for what its worth. They mostly use the MHX version found here:
[www.mudhole.com]
Same materials, the MHX casting swells have a larger OD, and the spinning versions fit perfectly into the ATC Aero seat (16).

In fact, we have Pro fisherman and ProStaffers (who are always fishing) still using the Winn grips they built with when we first started carrying them several years ago.

To answer the question of if they are just eva or not - they use an eva type base and wrap their WinnDry® Polymer around it.

For a look at Winn's entire line - you can browse it here:
[www.mudhole.com]

Thanks

Regards.
Team Mud Hole Custom Tackle
Web: [www.mudhole.com]
Email: sales@mudhole.com
Toll Free Phone #: 1-866-790-RODS (7637)

Stay Connected with us:
FaceBook: [www.facebook.com]
YouTube: [www.youtube.com]
Instagram: [www.instagram.com]
Tik Tok: Tik Tok: [www.tiktok.com]
Twitter: @mudholetackle

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: April 19, 2018 04:33PM

Good info Mudhole, Norman, and Sam. Good to get some real experience passed on.

Posted by: ben belote (---.zoominternet.net)
Date: April 20, 2018 08:17AM

Thanks Mud Hole..

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster