I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pac Bay Omni Arbor
Posted by: Justin Carlson (---.64-179-164.vastbb.net)
Date: April 14, 2018 01:47PM

Has anyone tried these yet? I have some and I was thinking of using them on my next build. I have everything fit and sized up but was wondering how I should epoxy them on. I was thinking of epoxying them on the blank in place first then after the epoxy dries put the reel seats on. I thought I would check here first to see if anyone has used them.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Pac Bay Omni Arbor
Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: April 14, 2018 02:01PM

I've not tried them. They look like a very good product, conceptually. [www.youtube.com]

Posted by: Travis Thompson (---.mobile.uscc.net)
Date: April 14, 2018 03:12PM

there are good videos on youtube on how to install them i plan on using them from now on

Posted by: Mark Talmo (---.lightspeed.irvnca.sbcglobal.net)
Date: April 14, 2018 11:31PM

They certainly look like a very good idea and I am intrigued as well if the ID of the seat is significantly larger than the blank OD. Sorry I cannot offer any hands-on experience, but I am interested as well in the comments of others who have.

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Posted by: Christopher Lee (---.sttl.wa.frontiernet.net)
Date: April 15, 2018 03:52AM

Looks like they count on a fluidly running epoxy. I personally only use Rod Bond (great stuff) for mounting handles, reel seats. Guess I will stick with tape arbors.

Posted by: Thomas Kaufmann (107.77.111.---)
Date: April 15, 2018 10:47AM

Does anyone know how they compare weight wise? I will say I really like the concept

Posted by: Bruce Phillips (---.sub-174-234-141.myvzw.com)
Date: April 15, 2018 12:45PM

That would have to be some very runny epoxy to fill all that space. [www.mudhole.com]

Posted by: Justin Carlson (---.64-179-164.knology.net)
Date: April 15, 2018 12:48PM

I had to order a few more winding checks from mud hole so I hope I get them before next weekend so in can glue this up. I noticed in the video that he didn't put any epoxy on the outside of the arbor, I plan on putting some on the outside so I know that there is a layer of it between the reel seat and the arbor. I'm using the Fuji SKTPSM Split Casting Reel Seat on this rod.

Date: April 15, 2018 05:09PM

Regarding runny epoxy, yes, it is intended that liquid epoxy be used. Paste will not work. If enough epoxy is used there will be solid contact between the arbor, the blank, and the seat. It's on the inside, so no clean-up should be necessary.

Posted by: Lance Schreckenbach (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: April 16, 2018 04:31PM

Justin Carlson Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I had to order a few more winding checks from mud
> hole so I hope I get them before next weekend so
> in can glue this up. I noticed in the video that
> he didn't put any epoxy on the outside of the
> arbor, I plan on putting some on the outside so I
> know that there is a layer of it between the reel
> seat and the arbor. I'm using the Fuji SKTPSM
> Split Casting Reel Seat on this rod.

I have done a couple casting rods with the SK split grips and used the Pac Bay arbors. They came out pretty light and did make it easier because I mostly use the foam arbors and have to ream them out and put glue channels in them. I use the paste type epoxy and I do it all at one time. I do however mount the trigger part of the split grip first and give it time to harden before mounting the thread barrel. The spacing on that will be 1.25" from edge to edge and don't forget your WCS winding checks. Make sure you build up enough epoxy on either side of the arbors to bridge the gap between the blank and the reel seat. The place I get them from over here doesn't have them anymore so I have gone back to the foam. I use 2 on the trigger and 3 on the barrel. I hope this helps.

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.97.252.156.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: April 17, 2018 08:57PM

Still not quite getting this. What glues the outside of the arbor to the inside of the seat. Are we to depend on seepage of the epoxy as the rod stands in the corner while the epoxy sets? Pac Bay video did not address this issue.

Date: April 18, 2018 06:57AM

Use enough epoxy to "overflow" the arbor "cup" and it will bridge between the inside of the seat to the arbor- it bonds the seat to epoxy to arbor to blank. If this bridging is there, there is no need to bond the OD of the arbor to the ID of the seat. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, please.

Posted by: Bruce Phillips (---.sub-174-234-139.myvzw.com)
Date: April 18, 2018 11:18AM

So you would need to use this type of epoxy Then?....[www.mudhole.com]

Posted by: Lance Schreckenbach (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: April 19, 2018 01:26PM

Bruce Phillips Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> So you would need to use this type of epoxy
> Then?....[www.mudhole.com]
> -Slow-Cure?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIjoXw147E2gIVy1YNCh2Hq
> gmNEAYYBSABEgJpx_D_BwE

I would and do use the gel / paste type that sets in 15 minutes. The paste is much easier to work with on the grips and the reel seats. I do not like it on gluing the cork rings because it is too thick and will show between each ring, I use a clear thin viscosity 15 minute epoxy on those. The only thing I would use slow setting epoxy on would be the wraps.

Posted by: Mud Hole Custom Tackle (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: April 19, 2018 03:00PM

For those who may not be familiar with the Omni Arbors - we have specs and options listed on our website - if you want to take a look. Thanks.
[www.mudhole.com]

Regards.
Team Mud Hole Custom Tackle
Web: [www.mudhole.com]
Email: sales@mudhole.com
Toll Free Phone #: 1-866-790-RODS (7637)

Stay Connected with us:
FaceBook: [www.facebook.com]
YouTube: [www.youtube.com]
Instagram: [www.instagram.com]
Tik Tok: Tik Tok: [www.tiktok.com]
Twitter: @mudholetackle

Date: April 19, 2018 04:30PM

Bruce, yes, you need to use liquid epoxy, whether fast or slow cure. It has to flow to get into the right position on the inside of the reel seat. Paste will not work properly in this application. Watch the U tube in my first post, second in this string.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster