I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Cleanest-Burning Alcohol?
Posted by: John Shear (---.ams.hpecore.net)
Date: April 16, 2018 04:46PM

I haven't had a need to burn fuzzies. Since I do two coats of TM epoxy, I just slice them off after the first coat of epoxy has set up overnight. Then the second coat is nice and smooth.
Honestly, I don't get many fuzzies.

John Shear
Chippewa Falls, WI

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: April 16, 2018 05:01PM

Simply put.
An alcohol burner is an open flame.
A candle is an open flame.
A match is an open flame.
A bic lighter is an open flame.
A butane lighter is an open flame.
A propane torch is an open flame.
A natural gas or propane stove is an open flame.

So - in degrees of relative danger, I believe that an alcohol burner is about as dangerous as any of the afore listed sources of fire.

But, by far, the most serious source of danger from the ones listed above is the gas or propane stove, simply because if a fuel supply line breaks - there is an essentially unlimited supply of fuel.

If an alcohol burner tips over, the fuel is limited to a couple of ozs.

------------------
But, CAUTION with any of the afore mentioned sources of open flames. Used carelessly, they will all do an excellent job of burning down a home or shop and causing $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ of property damage.

Just be careful.

Good luck

Posted by: Chad Huderle (---.static.ctl.one)
Date: April 16, 2018 05:19PM

Simply put, and not looking for an argument here, but a Bic is hardly an open flame. If you drop a Bic the flame is out before it hits the floor. If you bump it off your work area, you pick it up. Every other item you mentioned will stay lit until physically turned off or blown out.

I'm advocating for common sense the safest way to accomplish the simple task of removing fuzzies or bubbles.

Thanks,
Chad Huderle

Huderle Custom Rods
Prior Lake, MN

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: April 16, 2018 06:48PM

Roger, never saw a "gas or propane stove" listed above.

Date: April 16, 2018 07:32PM

Phil,
Every kitchen around the country that uses either natural gas or propane for fuel.

Kitchen range - natural gas.

Kitchen range - propane

Kitchen range - dual gas

Date: April 16, 2018 07:34PM

Or, other sources of flame.
Every gas fired hot water heater in the world.

Every gas fired home heating furnace.

Flames are everywhere. Just use common sense and use it safely.

Be safe

Posted by: Ron Weber (---.tc.ph.cox.net)
Date: April 16, 2018 08:01PM

Yep and all of those are in a gaseous state, not a liquid state like the alcohol burners. You are also not too likely to accidently knock over your stove, water heater, furnace, or dryer

Ron Weber

Date: April 16, 2018 08:07PM

I agree that fires need to be treated with caution and to remain safe.

Just do so and you will be in good shape.

Posted by: Chase Timmons (199.48.25.---)
Date: April 18, 2018 02:12PM

Does anyone use a heat gun to get out bubbles in epoxy? Or should i just stick with my lighter? Thanks!

Date: April 18, 2018 03:59PM

Chase,
Yes.

If I don't use my alcohol burner, I use my heat gun.

I use each about 1/2 the time with equal success.

Your choice.

Good luck

Posted by: herb canter (70.40.111.---)
Date: April 18, 2018 09:14PM

Chase Timmons Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Does anyone use a heat gun to get out bubbles in
> epoxy? Or should i just stick with my lighter?
> Thanks!

Well , i don't worry about bubbles in epoxy at all anymore after i read something that Billy said in a recent post . He said a Propane torch is the ultimate bubble remover but i didn't have a Propane torch , i have a small butane torch and let me tell you i have been completely bubble free ever since. You just put the mixed epoxy on the wraps, (Doesn't matter if the mix is full of bubbles) and flame the wraps moving the torch at all times and ZERO bubbles . I was truly blown away .

It makes straws and motorized epoxy mixers obsolete .

Date: April 19, 2018 01:32PM

Herb,
10-4 on the use of heat to remove bubbles.

I have done that for years and agree.

Posted by: herb canter (70.40.111.---)
Date: April 19, 2018 03:24PM

roger wilson Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Herb,
> 10-4 on the use of heat to remove bubbles.
>
> I have done that for years and agree.

I'm not talking just about applying heat Roger , i have tried and still have the alcohol lamps, i have used a heat gun and blowing through a straw and all that but none of those methods come close to how easy it is to just rapidly flame the epoxy after applying it to your wraps , it instantly makes a finish loaded with bubbles glass clear and smooth .

I was completely shocked and now don't worry about bubbles whatsoever , completely bubble free for the first time in my life. I'm not sure why it's so much more effective , maybe it's the intensity of the heat applied , Propane & Butane probably burn a lot hotter .

Date: April 19, 2018 08:50PM

Herb,
I do have to agree with your statement.

I have been in another rod shop where the builder used a butane torch fo flame his wraps and - yes - they were instantly bubble free.

Take care

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: April 19, 2018 09:56PM

I have used a Bernzomatic butane touch for years to remove bubbles from my epoxy. I mix my epoxy pretty vigorously in an aluminum mixing cup and after mixing I quickly pass the butane flame over the mixed epoxy and the bubbles instantly disappear. After applying the epoxy to the threads I quickly flame again, and no more bubbles. All that is needed is a very quick pass with the torch moving rapidly. Some people will use a propane torch, I like the small butane torch because it’s easier to control.
Norm

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster