I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Cleanest-Burning Alcohol?
Posted by: Mark Talmo (---.lightspeed.irvnca.sbcglobal.net)
Date: April 14, 2018 01:42AM

Of the four most easily-obtainable alcohols,which is the cleanest- burning (No soot)? Isopropyl, DNA, Methanol, Ethanol. Maybe I should just ask what YOU guys use to burn thread fuzzies / puckers (yes, Tom, that is a "P", although,,,).

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Cleanest-Burning Alcohol?
Posted by: Victor Heal (---.sub-174-255-135.myvzw.com)
Date: April 14, 2018 07:47AM

After I knocked my alcohol burner over and set my table on fire I started using a disposable lighter. Just my .02

Posted by: Jay Dubay (---.clv.wideopenwest.com)
Date: April 14, 2018 08:13AM

I don't use alcohol

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/14/2018 08:31AM by Jay Dubay.

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: April 14, 2018 09:48AM

Disposable lighter, too. I use 90% isopropyl for clean-up of uncured epoxy. It works, smells clean and fresh.

Posted by: Ray Zarychta (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: April 14, 2018 10:11AM

Denatured in my case but use carefully, use latex gloves to keep fingers from drying out.

Ray Zarychta
Glastonbury, CT

Posted by: Bill Sidney (---.gci.net)
Date: April 14, 2018 11:02AM

D & A all the way , it burns clean , an has the lowest heat range of all that I know of, an no wast to take care of , but be careful , as it was pointed out it has a low temp flash point ,
I just want to get the fuzes, not the wrap ,

William Sidney
AK

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: April 14, 2018 12:46PM

I use a butane lighter, as I can point the flame precisely and it does not have to be very close to do the job quickly, and no soot. Don't like the idea of a constant open flame in the house! Accidents can happen and mentioned above.

Posted by: Matthew Pitrowski (---.lightspeed.milwwi.sbcglobal.net)
Date: April 14, 2018 01:10PM

went to a disposable lighter years ago glad I did

some times the wick that comes with the burner isn't pure cotton and causes the soot and over heating the epoxy can do the same.
The Alcohol also still evaporates and don't like the idea of having the fumes around just a spark could cause a unwanted problem.

The best day to be alive is always tomorrow !!
Think out side the box when all else fails !!!
Wi.

Posted by: Ron Weber (---.tc.ph.cox.net)
Date: April 14, 2018 01:13PM

Those are one of the most dangerous items related to rod building

Ron Weber

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: April 14, 2018 01:20PM

I use alcohol all of the time in the shop. For cleaning, for mixing and for burning.

Go to the big box construction store and go to the paint section. Purchase a gallon of alcohol that is used for a solvent in painting. It is the perfect fuel to use in your burner.

If you can see the flame, you don't have the correct fuel. The alcohol flame should be essentially colorless.

[www.homedepot.com]

If you don't need so much, purchase a quart.

[www.homedepot.com]

But, if you plan on using a bunch over time, it is much cheaper to buy it by the gallon as you can see from the pricing.

I have used an alcohol burner similar to this one for all of the many years that I have been building rods. A very handy tool. I use it constantly.

When I do wiring, I use the burner to shrink heat shrink tubing because it is so convenient.

I just prefer the soft flame - so to speak - compared to the "harsh" flame of a butane burner.

Best of luck.

Date: April 14, 2018 06:58PM

And Roger's comment is one of the main reasons to not use it, a virtually non visable flame which has caused many accidents.

Ron Weber

Posted by: herb canter (70.40.111.---)
Date: April 14, 2018 07:38PM

Ron Weber Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> And Roger's comment is one of the main reasons to
> not use it, a virtually non visable flame which
> has caused many accidents.

I used a flame that i had a near impossible time telling if there was one so i had to hold my hand above it and feel for heat . I don't use that stuff anymore , can't even remember where i got it. I use just basic denatured now and you can tell that there's a flame , it's a mix of blue & yellow and does a great job. I have tried 91% isopropyl as well and thats a pure yellow flame .

Date: April 14, 2018 11:20PM

Wow!!! Thank you for the informative replies from all of you. I would never have suspected 2/3 of you DO NOT (or WILL NOT) use an alcohol burner to get rid of thread wrap fuzzies. The almost colorless flame combined with the obviously potential fire hazard is well heeded, but I have “sooted-up” too many wraps with my Bic lighter held to what I thought would be a safe distance from the wrap to avoid any faint yet obvious black smudge.
Roger, can you build me Laser Thread Fuzzy / Pucker Remover?

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: April 15, 2018 09:23AM

Mark,
In spite of the comments about the invisible flame - that is exactly the reason that I will continue to use the burner.

The invisible flame means that there is no carbon to leave a deposit on a wrap or a blank.

I keep a box of matches handy. When I am ready for the burner, I light it, and as soon as I am finished with it, I snuff it out with the cap.

I never leave the burner burning when I am not using it.

Good luck

Date: April 15, 2018 10:04AM

Mark Talmo Wrote:
> Wow!!! Thank you for the informative replies from
> all of you. I would never have suspected 2/3 of
> you DO NOT (or WILL NOT) use an alcohol burner to
> get rid of thread wrap fuzzies. The almost
> colorless flame combined with the obviously
> potential fire hazard is well heeded, but I have
> “sooted-up” too many wraps with my Bic lighter
> held to what I thought would be a safe distance
> from the wrap to avoid any faint yet obvious black
> smudge.
> Roger, can you build me Laser Thread Fuzzy /
> Pucker Remover?

Mark , regular denatured alcohol is all i use in my alcohol burner , it instantly removes fuzzies without damaging your thread wraps and leaves ZERO soot . When i have tried a Bic lighter it's a disaster , makes everything black , same with Isopropyl 91% . I buy Kleen Strip Denatured from Walmart , it says clean burning fuel on the canister .

Date: April 15, 2018 12:31PM

Roger, you have saved me the money and avoided the time required to build me a laser unit. My next supply order will include an alcohol burner.
Herb, DNA will be the first used in my burner. Since I have access to methanol, I’ll test it as well (maybe it will bring back memories of my son and my racing endeavors). Even though I have kept the flame of a Bic lighter at least to the side if not above the thread wrap, I still get soot some of the time.
Thanks to all!!!

Mark Talmo

Date: April 15, 2018 02:12PM

Mark Talmo Wrote:
> Roger, you have saved me the money and avoided the
> time required to build me a laser unit. My next
> supply order will include an alcohol burner.
> Herb, DNA will be the first used in my burner.
> Since I have access to methanol, I’ll test it as
> well (maybe it will bring back memories of my son
> and my racing endeavors). Even though I have kept
> the flame of a Bic lighter at least to the side if
> not above the thread wrap, I still get soot some
> of the time.
> Thanks to all!!!

Alcohol burners are absolute cake to make yourself , i had an old glass horseradish jar and all i did was take a large screwdriver and puncture the metal lid . Walmart's camping section sells a 5 pack of wide all cotton wicks and they cost me a buck , i installed one and instant alcohol burner .

Posted by: Bill Sidney (---.gci.net)
Date: April 15, 2018 08:13PM

just remember use the side of the flame, not the tip you can control the heat a lot better , I think

William Sidney
AK

Posted by: Chad Huderle (---.static.ctl.one)
Date: April 16, 2018 09:49AM

If your goal is to remove fuzzies or gently warm epoxy to remove bubbles then there is no reason to use a dangerous alcohol burner. They're nothing but an accident waiting to happen. All that is necessary is a simple Bic lighter held to the side of the fuzzy or epoxy. No need to hold the flame directly underneath what you are trying to heat. Hold the lighter to the side of the wrap and the radiant heat is more than able to remove bubbles or fuzzies. Holding the flame to the side also removed the possibility of any "soot" getting into your wrap. I have not personally had any accidents using an alcohol lamp but when I started rod building I thought I needed to buy everything that was available for the craft. I no longer used the alcohol burner shortly after having read other's builder's accidents. We don't mean to have accidents but why tempt fate when such a simple alternative is available??? If you disagree with what I've said and you've used one forever, I'm glad you haven't had any accidents but I really hope people stop advocating for their use.

Be safe.

Thanks,
Chad Huderle

Huderle Custom Rods
Prior Lake, MN

Date: April 16, 2018 01:59PM

Well stated Chad

Ron Weber

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster