I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

top coat on carbon Fiber grips
Posted by: Bill Sidney (---.gci.net)
Date: April 11, 2018 03:16PM

what type of top coat do I put on the carbon grips I could use FLEX COAT but it will turn color in time any help ??

William Sidney
AK

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: top coat on carbon Fiber grips
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: April 11, 2018 03:25PM

You can use epoxy if you like, although I don't find it to be the best product for top coating these grips. I like PermaGloss. It's thin, light and won't ever yellow. But, it can't be used as a sealer to fill depressions or holes - it's too thin and would take many, many coats for that. So you either need to sand your grip smooth at the outset, or use an epoxy as a sealer-filler and then top coat with something like PermaGloss.

Date: April 11, 2018 06:58PM

Have ordered, back issues of ROD MAKER on how to do the the fiber grips , THANKS FOR ALL THE HELP

William Sidney
AK

Posted by: Donald R Campbell (---.socal.res.rr.com)
Date: April 12, 2018 12:27PM

Bill,

I built a rod for a return client and he requested a carbon fiber split grip. Not having a lot of experience with making a carbon fiber split grip, I order one from a vendor and it was beautiful. Coated with epoxy and really pretty. A couple of months later he returned and ask me to cut it off and replace with a cork split greip, which I did. He explained that he had almost lost the rod in the water, while casting a large plastic worm the rod had slipped out of his hand. He said he had caught it in midair and almost had a heart attack!

I would suggest coating the carbon fiber grip with Perma Gloss and applying just enough coats to retain some gripping adhesion.

Don Campbell
don@sensorfishingrods.com

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: April 12, 2018 02:31PM

I think a lot of grip slippage is from grip shape not the material. I myself and many others have had rod slippage from all materials. The old Lew's reverse taper spinning rod grip, and casting split grips with a slightly larger diameter swell, just behind the reel seat, that fits the depression in the center of my palm work well for me.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/12/2018 02:35PM by Spencer Phipps.

Posted by: Mark Hahn (---.50.117.75.dynamic.ip.windstream.net)
Date: April 12, 2018 03:35PM

PermaGloss, two coats. It provides a nice sheen finish and plenty of friction for grip.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: April 12, 2018 04:56PM

Right, smooth and slippery are not the same thing. Hammer handles have been finished with a smooth varnish or urethane coating for years but they are not slippery, even when wet. The shape is the key.

Surface for surface, you can easily slide your fingers on cork, but not on the carbon fiber grips coated with PermaGloss. These actually require you to loosen your grip and move your fingers into the new position.

Date: April 12, 2018 08:51PM

2 coats of urethane I hope that will do it or one of epoxy a one of urethane , not sure yet waiting for the back issues of rod maker to decide ,
got them on order as I type with one finger ,

William Sidney
AK

Posted by: Capt. Michael Harmon (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: April 13, 2018 11:18AM

I use them for fly rod grips, and I always coat carbon fiber with epoxy. It makes a big difference. The grip becomes sticky with wet hands. Plus you can put your rod label on the grip. I haven't tried permagloss on the grips yet but I'm sure it work. Permagloss is a great product.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster