I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Threadless - Should I Sell My Thread Stocks?
Posted by: Rob Pridgen (107.72.162.---)
Date: April 09, 2018 03:13PM

So I’m in Bass Pro Shop yesterday and noticed a St Croux spinner
with threadless guides. $250 they want for that rod by the way.
I go home and Google ‘ Threadless rod guides’ and get a hit on this:

[www.youtube.com]

Is it time for me to dump my rod thread stocks?
:-)

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Threadless - Should I Sell My Thread Stocks?
Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: April 09, 2018 03:38PM

Many years ago in RodMaker magazine there was an extensive article about threadless guides, and it wasn't particularly a new concept than, Ralph O'Quinn had played around with it years before that. Used Permagloss as the finish over the guides, pretty effective system, had a picture in the article of a pair of pliers bending and distroying the guide while it's attached to the blank threadless.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: April 09, 2018 03:58PM

The "Bug Bond" will hold the guides, sort of, mostly, but I wouldn't dump your thread stock. There are limitations and most of the UV cured products are better for protecting thread than replacing it entirely.

Posted by: Robert A. Guist (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: April 09, 2018 04:10PM

Hello All.

The article Spencer is speaking of is Volume 9 Issue 6 Page 10, called "Threadless Guide Wraps" by Bill Stevens.

Tight Wraps & Tighter Lines.

Bob,

New Bern, NC.

Posted by: Ken Finch (149.202.98.---)
Date: April 09, 2018 05:21PM

The fly fishing UV cured stuff turns out a bit foggy after some use. I do not think it looks very nice.

Posted by: Matthew Pitrowski (---.lightspeed.milwwi.sbcglobal.net)
Date: April 09, 2018 05:40PM

I wouldn't get to excited as of yet the stuff will work well for repairs where you want an invisible wrap done with white silk would be a time saver and a quick way to do it for a customer.
does any one remember when they had the ider to use shrink tube ? that was eagle claw that gave that a try it didn't fly.
this might work but I have my doubts so I will still use thread wraps and use it as a quick finish like the PG. if it doesn't have enough flexibility the guides will pop off as it would create flat spots on the blank changing the action/power of the blank where the feet /foot makes contact

The best day to be alive is always tomorrow !!
Think out side the box when all else fails !!!
Wi.

Posted by: John DeMartini (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: April 09, 2018 06:13PM

I would like to hear stories from experience! I don't have any confidence in the process, so I am taking a wait and see attitude.

John

Posted by: herb canter (70.40.97.---)
Date: April 09, 2018 06:15PM

I haven't seen the St.Croix threadless rod but i bet many manufactures would salivate if it ever becomes mainstream .

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: April 09, 2018 09:54PM

Manufacturers might salivate, but that would make the market for custom built rods with thread-wrapped guides stronger. There are two things that I and I expect many others enjoy about their rods. 1 is function. 2 is aesthetics. Even though I might have 100% confidence that the threadless attachment would function perfectly forever, it really lacks in the aesthetics component. I really appreciate using a classy, good looking , rod, and "bare" guides doesn't qualify.

Posted by: Rob Pridgen (---.lightspeed.miamfl.sbcglobal.net)
Date: April 10, 2018 08:35AM

Actually I agree that a colored thread wrap looks better than a transparent epoxied threadless (Bug Bond) showing the feet. However, I was thinking one coat of the Bug Bond and then going over it with CRB's epoxy pigment mixed in finishing epoxy to make it black. By the way I think Loon Outdoor Fly Wraps has a comparable UV glue similar to Bug Bond. And they sell the UV light. Both available at BPS.

As far as that St Croix rod I mentioned, it's the Avid Inshore (green blank) series. Sweet looking rod. I may be wrong; maybe it was some kind if thread that dried transparent. But is definitely shows all the guide feet; even on the concept guides at the tip.

Posted by: herb canter (70.40.97.---)
Date: April 10, 2018 09:39AM

Rob Pridgen Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Actually I agree that a colored thread wrap looks
> better than a transparent epoxied threadless (Bug
> Bond) showing the feet. However, I was thinking
> one coat of the Bug Bond and then going over it
> with CRB's epoxy pigment mixed in finishing epoxy
> to make it black. By the way I think Loon Outdoor
> Fly Wraps has a comparable UV glue similar to Bug
> Bond. And they sell the UV light. Both available
> at BPS.
>
> As far as that St Croix rod I mentioned, it's the
> Avid Inshore (green blank) series. Sweet looking
> rod. I may be wrong; maybe it was some kind if
> thread that dried transparent. But is definitely
> shows all the guide feet; even on the concept
> guides at the tip.

Ah ha , you say it's on the Avid Inshore rods huh , OK thats not a threadless wrap, those Avid Inshore rods have had the feet show through from the get go going back to when they were first released and continuing to the recent redesign . I can see how it can look like that since those wraps do look transparent but are indeed threaded wraps .

Posted by: brian rossi (107.77.109.---)
Date: April 10, 2018 12:29PM

Sounds interesting, I've got the stuff to test it. I'm going to put a guide on some scrap blank to see how hard it is to break free. If it seems legit I'll build a rod that way for the @#$%& of it. The uv cure stuff definitely doesn't look as nice but it would be kinda neat if it works.

Posted by: Robert A. Guist (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: April 10, 2018 12:40PM

Hello All.

May I ask a question?

How brittle will this uv cure stuff get after being out in the sun for 100-200 days a year?

I was thinking it might harden up enough to stiffen a rod enough to cause problems?

Thanks.

Tight Wraps & Tighter Lines.

Bob,

New Bern, NC.

Posted by: Lou Auret (204.16.161.---)
Date: April 12, 2018 07:54AM

Robert, that is exactly my experience using UV curing resins on rods.
They go brittle(ones i have used). There are resins that cure with less naturally occurring wavelengths than UV.
but not as inexpensive as thread.
I can see manufacturing advantages using UV cures for quick drying, semi automated production and sales drivers.
It is an interesting look but if you value function over looks not that great.
properly done thread wraps and a few thin coats of permagloss does it for me: low weight and tough.
PG also does not go stiff and yellow over time and stays flexible.
But unless treated the thread fades. badly fades.

If you are serious about this and want to know, go do some personal research:
not being snarky but get some blank scraps wrap up various guides on them in various ways then toss it out where the squirrels will not get to it in your backyard( not as easy as you would think).
Play with what you do below the foot as well including foot prep.
maybe $100 to 150 should do it assuming you have several finishes and thread, color preserver etc on hand
Just look at what happens in the area you live with the various finishes, thread sealers etc.
label well with permanent sharpie markers( memory is fickle).
Flex every few weeks and note whats happening. Observe what causes guide rust and guide failure. Thread bleaching and in some cases disintegration.
I started this about 6 year ago now i think.
Taught me what works for me in Memphis.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster