I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

CRB Heater
Posted by: Branden Visser (---.static.aldl.mi.charter.com)
Date: April 09, 2018 03:03PM

Wondering if anyone has used the CRB Heater. I just built a 16"x16"x10' dryer box and thinking of ways to heat it. The good, the bad, and the ugly?

Thanks!

Branden Visser
Infinity Custom Rods

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: CRB Heater
Posted by: David Parsons (---.s16300.c3-0.drf-ubr1.atw-drf.pa.cable.rcncustomer.com)
Date: April 09, 2018 06:36PM

I have my running right now in the tent I bought from mud hole they are only 50 watts will only raise temp a little above ambient . a 100 watt or 2 drop lights might heat for you. what is the temp in the area that you will have the box?

Posted by: Branden Visser (---.sub-174-230-167.myvzw.com)
Date: April 09, 2018 07:04PM

Probably low 60’s. Working in an unfinished basement. Thinking a couple 45w incandescent a might just do it... but wanted to see if there would be a better option!

Posted by: David Parsons (---.s16300.c3-0.drf-ubr1.atw-drf.pa.cable.rcncustomer.com)
Date: April 09, 2018 08:19PM

you could try a strip heater they come in different wattages

Posted by: Chuck McIntyre (---.hsd1.co.comcast.net)
Date: April 09, 2018 08:25PM

David,are you referring to heat tape as used on water pipes? I recall that being mentioned in a journal type publication back in the 80s. It was used in combination with a dryer box also.

Date: April 09, 2018 09:01PM

no strip heater are used in outdoor electrical gear to keep it dry Mcmaster Carr sells them .I would not use heat tape I know of problems with it and fires

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: April 10, 2018 10:04AM

Incandescent light bulbs and porcelain sockets are really inexpensive and reliable. Take 3 or 4 sockets and bulbs and mount them inside your dryer box and you will be set for a very long time.

Not only do the lights supply heat, but they also supply light which makes it easy to check the progress of the rods drying and insure that you have no defects in your fihish.

Good luck

Date: April 10, 2018 12:18PM

Kind of my thinking as well. I think I will go with that. Thanks!

Date: April 10, 2018 02:42PM

You can also add a thermostat inside the dryer box to cycle the bulbs to regulate temperature if you wish.

[www.amazon.com]

Posted by: Brody Haakenson (74.214.223.---)
Date: April 10, 2018 03:02PM

Do you have any pictures of the drying box. Thinking of building one and looking for ideas

Posted by: John Keough (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: April 10, 2018 08:20PM

I have the mudhole tent and heater, when my shop is 62, the tent is 72. It really helps to speed up curing.

Date: April 12, 2018 01:58PM

I ended up wiring up 3 sockets to the top of the box and put in 3 75w bulbs. Ambient room temp was 65deg. Box was at 83 and steady within an hour. Held there for 8 hours until i took the rod out! Very very pleased with the outcome. The only concern is that under the lights are warmer than in between them, obviously. I don't know if that will make a big impact or not, but its something I'm watching. Thanks everyone! I don't know where to post pictures. I thought I read somewhere I couldn't do it on threads. Email me and I can send you pictures.

Date: April 13, 2018 11:31AM

Brandon,
To eliminate the hot spots, put a hole in one end of your box with a filter over it.
Then, put a hole on the other end of the box and mount a muffin or computer fan @#$%& air out of the box. This will keep air moving through the box at a low rate, just enough to eliminate the hot spots.

[www.amazon.com]

You might also change out the 75 watt bulbs with 50 watt bulbs. Or, you could add 3 more sockets and put in 25 watt bulbs.

But, I expect that the addition of the low speed muffin fan will eliminate the hot spots.

Good luck

Posted by: John Keough (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: April 14, 2018 07:04AM

I have the end of my tent hanging off the end of my bench and the CRB heater moves the air.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster