I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

information Request
Posted by: Barry Thomas Sr (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: April 08, 2018 11:58AM

A fellow asked me to Build him a Surf Rod 10-11 ft rated around 5 OZ for Striper fishing here in NJ. Well got looking around and found a PVC tube containing two Batson Rainshadow SU1267-F 10' 6 ' Rated to 6 OZ. Problem is i Cannot find the Pricing info on the Blank! They no longer make Them and I do not have a Catalog That carries the info.

Any help would Be greatly Appreciated

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/08/2018 12:01PM by Barry Thomas Sr.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: information Request
Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: April 08, 2018 12:27PM

Barry,
And your problem is - you do not know how much to charge the fellow for the rod?

Since it is an antique rod blank, you should be able to charge antique prices. You could start at about $1,000 for the blank and go on up from there.

Or, you could just consider it an old blank that was laying around and charge him $5 for the blank.

So, you just just get to make a choice and ask the fellow how much he wants to pay for the rod and see if it makes sense to you to build the rod for that price.

But, in any event you will make the great choice and I am sure that the fellow will be well pleased with any rod that you build for him.

To find the price, just run through the blank catalogs and check the price for a current blank with those characteristics and charge accordingly. Since it is a Batson Rainshadow, I suspect that it is a modulus 33 blank and is in the less expensive category.

For example, here are some RX7 blanks from one of the sponsors on the left:
[www.anglersworkshop.com]

Here is a listing for potentially a similar blank in a 2018 version of the blank:
[www.rainshadowrodblanks.com]

Check with your dealer for the pricing.

Good luck

Posted by: Robert A. Guist (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: April 08, 2018 02:27PM

Hello Barry.

I have looked everywhere for info on that blank but can't find anything, the oldest price sheet I have for Batson is 2011 (Spring cleaning in 2010).

In the 2011-15 price sheets the nearest is the "SU1264f" (10'6" 2/pc. 15-20# 1/2-2oz. Butt-.675 Tip-7.5) and in the 2011-2012 it was $132.43, in the 2012-2013 it was $139.05, and in the 2014-2015 it was $148.73.

Best I can do for you, Good Luck.

Tight Wraps & Tighter Lines.

Bob,

New Bern, NC.

Posted by: Terry Kirk (---.ks.ks.cox.net)
Date: April 08, 2018 02:37PM

I would check with Batson, they are pretty good at helping with such things.

Date: April 08, 2018 03:17PM

Roger and Robert Thank You for your help!

Already Posted on Batson Forum, And sent a Email to Utmost they have been my go to batson Dealer

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/08/2018 03:19PM by Barry Thomas Sr.

Posted by: David Miller (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: April 08, 2018 03:31PM

The Rainshadow SU rod blanks are highly regarded probably more so than the newer SUR. I would bet if you put one up on @#$%& it would go for at least $100 and that doesn’t include shipping cost.

Posted by: Dennis Danku (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: April 08, 2018 04:47PM

Barry, The info. you wanted is: Color M-matt clear, 20-40 line, 2-6 oz., Butt 0.865, tip 7.5, med fast, MH , blank weight 7.99 , $115.00
From the 2006-07 catalog.

Dennis J. Danku
(Sayreville,NJ)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/08/2018 04:49PM by Dennis Danku.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: April 09, 2018 12:54AM

Good information from Dennis.

The $115 is the 2007 price.

So, add in the price of inflation and sell the blank for the expected $150 - 2018 price.

Good luck

Date: April 09, 2018 01:09AM

Dennis Danku Thank You! For your Information Drop!

Thank You to all those who Responded, I really Appreciate the the way the Folks here go out of thier way to help others

Posted by: Robert A. Guist (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: April 09, 2018 03:29PM

Hello Dennis.

Thanks, good to know.

Tight Wraps & Tighter Lines.

Bob,

New Bern, NC.

Posted by: Dennis Danku (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: April 09, 2018 10:37PM

To all, When I can, I do.

Dennis J. Danku
(Sayreville,NJ)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster