I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: The federal excise tax ???
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: April 07, 2018 06:32PM

I had one gentleman from the IRS excise office challenge me on building a rod for yourself. He said that simply building a rod incurred the tax liability. I challenged him with the actual wording from the IRS - "..upon first point of sale."

The argument went up the chain and he came back a week later and said I was right. The language is what it is. If there is no sale, there is no tax liability. However, if there is any exchange of other goods, services, value, etc., that is considered a "sale" and the tax liability is in play. If you build a rod for yourself or simply give it away, and receiving nothing of value in return, there is no tax due.

The advertising benefit of giving a rod to a local TU group is something a gray area. The IRS would have to prove that you did indeed receive some advertising value and then put a value on that. I don't think they could make a good case, although some agents might try.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Jim Marshall (---.zoominternet.net)
Date: April 07, 2018 09:14PM

Tom Kirkman Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I had one gentleman from the IRS excise office
> challenge me on building a rod for yourself. He
> said that simply building a rod incurred the tax
> liability. I challenged him with the actual
> wording from the IRS - "..upon first point of
> sale."
>
> The argument went up the chain and he came back a
> week later and said I was right. The language is
> what it is. If there is no sale, there is no tax
> liability. However, if there is any exchange of
> other goods, services, value, etc., that is
> considered a "sale" and the tax liability is in
> play. If you build a rod for yourself or simply
> give it away, and receiving nothing of value in
> return, there is no tax due.
>
> The advertising benefit of giving a rod to a local
> TU group is something a gray area. The IRS would
> have to prove that you did indeed receive some
> advertising value and then put a value on that. I
> don't think they could make a good case, although
> some agents might try.
>
> ................

Technically if you’re being acknowledged as a do or you’ve received consideration for the rod = payment. If you’re trying to run a legitimate business, I’d pay it. What’s another $10?

If it’s that big a deal most organizations would gladly pay the $10 tax to receive a donation of that value.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: April 07, 2018 11:12PM

David,
I would think that you would have to check the IRS guide lines, but if you build the rod and give it away, you are technically not selling it or, in reality you are selling it for $0.00. I would think that the tax on a $0.00 sale would be 0, but the IRS needs to confirm it.

I really don't know if there is a tax involved or not, since the sale price is $0.00

Someone else who knows the tax laws would have to answer the question.

Posted by: Seth Johnson (---.williams.com)
Date: April 10, 2018 07:49AM

According to my CPA, and using the double entry accounting method, you should record the donations as an advertising expense and pay the excise tax. You also (at least in Texas) have to pay use tax on anything you didn't originally pay taxes on that you don't end up collecting sales tax on. So, here's how that would look.

Inventory....................................$170.00
Cash....................................................$170.00
(Purchase of components)

Advertising expense.................$193.05
Inventory..............................................$170.00
Excise tax payable..................................10.00
Use tax payable......................................13.05
(Rod donation)

Essentially, there is no such thing as altruism for businesses. If you make a donation, it's considered advertisement.

Also, to help you guys out, if you sell a rod for more than $166.67, you just pay the $10. That's where the 10% caps out.

Edited to correct my math

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 04/10/2018 08:11AM by Seth Johnson.

Posted by: Branden Visser (---.static.aldl.mi.charter.com)
Date: April 12, 2018 02:39PM

Tom, is sales tax figured on the sale price or the constructive sale price?

Thanks for all this info and that article. Very very helpful!

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster