I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Thread for blank tip
Posted by: Frankie Chandler (---.pools.spcsdns.net)
Date: April 06, 2018 07:02AM

I am going to replace some tip tops on some old rods this weekend and give them new life. 3 of them are in between sizes on the tip top tube size. I was going to wrap a layer of thread on the blank to take up some of the space. I was going to swing by a craft store and pick up some nylon upholstery thread for this. After reading bad things about using store bought threads and epoxy not sticking to them should I not do this? I plan to use the rod dancer 5 min gel epoxy made for installing tip tops. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Thread for blank tip
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: April 06, 2018 10:42AM

If you make a slightly spiraled thread bushing (leave 1/16th inch gaps between all thread winds) it won't likely be an issue.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: April 06, 2018 11:41AM

Frankie,
I commonly wrap ice fishing rod tips with thread to increase the diameter of the tip to fit a tip top that I wish to use.

I use the same thread that I use for the rest of the guide wraps.

Often, on ice rods, I like to use a florescent orange thread for a tip wrap for about 2 inches down from the tip - to increase the visiblity of the tip.

I do a trial wrap with the thread to see if any layers of thread are needed to space out the tip top, or if it is fine without any wraps.

If the tip top does need to have its diameter increased, I will just start putting layers of thread wrap on the tip, until the tip is the correct diameter. When I do the wrap, I start down the rod and do the tip wrap. Then, I continue the wrap on up the rod blank to the tip and if more than one layer is required I will continue wrapping and bring the wrap back down to where the tip top will end. If more than two layers of thread is required, I will continue to add continuous layers back down and back up the tip, until - with the tie off in place, the tip top is a nice fit on the tip of the blank.

Then, I just use my standard tip top attachment using hot melt tip adhesive. Because, the thread is on the tip of the rod blank, be sure to get the tip on right the first time, or you will likely have to end up cutting off the tip wrap and do it over.

But, no - no special thread required. If I am doing guide wraps with size a thread, I will continue the tip wrap with size A thread and wrap it just as tightly and pack it just as tightly on the tip of the rod as tight and as well packed as I use on the guide wraps.

When, the heated tip adhesive is applied to the thread coated tip top, the adhesive nicely penetrates the thread for an excellent permanent attachment and the tip is attached with no issue.

Good luck

Posted by: Lance Schreckenbach (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: April 06, 2018 12:30PM

Thread for clothes has a lubricant like silicone or wax, so these are not acceptable for rod wrapping. You need thread that does not have lubricants so get specific rod/guide wrapping threads.

Posted by: Hitena USA (---.dllstx.fios.frontiernet.net)
Date: April 12, 2018 01:21PM

HI Frankie,

If you didn't do it yet. What abt our Stwrap AA size for your bank tip? It's designed for fly rods, underwrap and tip wrapping with much thinner diameter than A size. It's nylon thread and will absorb epoxy very nicely. [hitenausa.com]
Thanks.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster