I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Epoxy
Posted by: Luke Nicholson (---.central.biz.rr.com)
Date: April 02, 2018 05:35PM

So I’m about to build a carbon fiber Tennessee handle for a drop shot rod. I want to thread the reel on the reel seat and then epoxy it . My question is what type of epoxy is best for this scenario? Can I use flexcoat, thread dancer...etc or is there a bettter epoxy for the job? Thanks guys

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Epoxy
Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: April 02, 2018 05:48PM

Neither one of those are adhesives, but could work. Better to use a two part adhesive epoxy,available at any hardware store. But be aware it is a permanent set up!

Posted by: Don @ American Tackle (---.biz.bhn.net)
Date: April 02, 2018 05:55PM

Thread finish is what you want to use.... I suggest Pro-Kote

800-516-1750 ext. 1207 / don@americantackle.us

Rod Building..... It's What We Do.

Date: April 02, 2018 06:01PM

Would you just thread it on with a bobbin or by hand?

Posted by: Jay Dubay (---.clv.wideopenwest.com)
Date: April 02, 2018 07:08PM

Have you given any thought to a Plate reel seat like this? It gets wrapped on like you want, And you can still remove the reel when you need to do maintenance or want to change it out. I have several on carbon fiber Tennessee handles, And are strong and tight and work great. [www.getbitoutdoors.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/02/2018 07:12PM by Jay Dubay.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: April 02, 2018 07:13PM

Luke,
The very best thing that you can do with your rod, is to NOT to put the reel permanently on the rod.

There are many many reasons why a person may want to remove a reel from a rod.
Reels break.
Fishermen want to try a different reel on their rod.
Fishermen get a new reel and want to try the new reel on their favorite rod.

Good luck with anything you want to do. It is certainly your build so build it in the way that works best for you.

-------------------
p.s.
For example, in my boat, I seldom put a reel on a rod until I am out in the boat and decide which rod and reel that I want to use for the day. I carry all of my reels in a bag. I carry all of the rods in a bag. I can carry a lot of reels in a small bag. I can carry a lot of rods - without the reels in a pretty small long bag.
It just makes more sense for myself to transport my rods and reels separately.

Good luck

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: April 02, 2018 09:55PM

\I agree with Roger on not attaching permanently, but suggest a compromise- use Winn wraps or tennis racket grip wrap to attach reel and it can easily be changed, but will be very secure.

Regarding not rigging before fishing, i cannot imagine going to the water with no rods and reels assembled. I know for the most part what I want to do on the water I'm going to and will have most rods and reels assembled, some with single hook lures attached, before launching. Save a ton of time that could be used for fishing.

Posted by: Luke Nicholson (---.kya.res.rr.com)
Date: April 02, 2018 10:05PM

So I actually have the reel seat plate... would you just use the thread epoxy for that application?

Date: April 02, 2018 10:05PM

So I actually have the reel seat plate... would you just use the thread epoxy for that application?

Posted by: Steve Monroe (---.kya.res.rr.com)
Date: April 02, 2018 11:32PM

I have built a drop shot rod with the reel attached with thread and rod finish. It makes for a very sensitive rod/reel set up. I considered all the reasons that I may want to take the reel off and determined the none of them were that big of a deal, I figured it was worth the experiment. I have several other rods I can use so it isn't like I would be unable to fish if the reel broke. The fact that you build rods as a hobby changing it isn't much different than changing a guide if it is broken.

I used a bobbin to wrap the reel. I did file down the foot on the reel. Didn't take long and I used size A thread and pro kote.I have used the set up for about a year and have had no issues. and it has become my preferred drop shot rod and I have 3 to pick from.

This may not be something that you want to do for a customer but for personal use I wouldn't be afraid to give it a shot.

Date: April 02, 2018 11:46PM

Luke,
If you want to attach a reel that is very light, but easy to change, just use vinyl tape.

3 or 4 wraps on the front reel foot and 3 or 4 wraps on the rear reel foot will secure the reel very well.

We do this all of the time - for the rods that we use for ice fishing. Close to 0 weight and very sensitive, but still easy to change the reel if you wish. Just use a knife to cut off the original tape, and keep a roll of tape in the tackle bag or boat and you will be set.

Just another option if you want a very light sensitive connection of the reel to the rod, that still lets one remove and reattach the reel if desired.

Good luck

Posted by: Jay Dubay (---.clv.wideopenwest.com)
Date: April 03, 2018 02:56AM

Luke Nicholson Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> So I actually have the reel seat plate... would
> you just use the thread epoxy for that
> application?
Yes just like wrapping a guide, finish with the same epoxy. cheers

Posted by: John DeMartini (104.129.204.---)
Date: April 03, 2018 08:29AM

Luke

For many years the old tried and true way is to tape the reel in place with electrical tape. The advantages are;

Luke

The old tried and true way is to tape the reel in place with electrical tape. The advantages are;

1) The reel can be removed for cleaning and maintenance.

2) The reel can be moved to a different position on the grip.

3) Different reels can be used or tested.

4) Different color tapes can be used to fit in with any current fashion trends.

5) Item 4) is my attempt at humor.

Good luck

John

Date: April 03, 2018 12:34PM

Thanks for all the replies guys.

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.97.252.156.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: April 03, 2018 04:58PM

If you're going to use tape use hockey tape. Might be the same as tennis tape, not sure, but doesn't leach out that nasty glue residue as some do.

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: April 03, 2018 09:08PM

If I am not mistaken, hockey tape is a cloth tape, a lot like friction tape, and is not anything like tennis grip tape or Winn's wrap. The latter have a sticky back that comes off cleanly, a tacky but clean surface, unlike friction tape. Hockey tape is for the blade of the stick, not so much for the grip, and I expect it is does not have the stretch that the other tapes have, which keeps them tightly positioned on the grips. Neither tennis grip tape or Winns wraps leach out any residue.

Date: April 04, 2018 01:50PM

[www.coldsnapcover.com]

What do you guys think about this??

Date: April 04, 2018 02:03PM

Luke,
The trouble with these fasteners, is that you can feel them.

If you are going to use something like tape to hold the reel on the seat - which is an excellent thing to do, use a couple of layers of tape to act as an underlayment for the reel.

Start with the bare handle and put a double wrap of tape at the location of the front foot of the reel. The put a double wrap of tape at the location of the back foot of the reel.

Leave these wraps in place when you change or remove the reels from the rod. By leaving the double wrap of tape in place when changing the reel, the rod grip is not damaged by tape removal.

Then, when you install the reel, place the reel in place on top of the double layer of tape. Then, put a double wrap of tape over the front foot of the reel seat and a double wrap of tape over the rear foot of the reel seat.

This system makes it easy and clean to change and or remove reels at will, by risking no damage to the rear rod grip.

Good luck

Posted by: Brody Haakenson (74.214.223.---)
Date: April 04, 2018 02:32PM

I use them on all of the ice rods that i build with Tennessee handles. If you aren't to concerned about color go to a local farm supply store and get castration bands for calves. the castration bands cost about 2 dollars per 100 in my area.

Overall they are my favorite way of holding a reel onto a Tennessee Handle and allow for quick and easy reel swaps as well as have no lasting effects or damage to the handle.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster