I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Tip Top Adhesive
Posted by: Frankie Chandler (---.pools.spcsdns.net)
Date: April 02, 2018 04:07AM

I replaced a few tip tops on some larger rods of mine last week and noticed with some effort I was able to pull them back off. These are large tip tops (tube size 28). I used the tip top hot glue stick stuff I saw on Mudhole’s website. I heated the stick up and smeared it heavily on the ends of the rod blanks all the way around and then got the glue hot again and then shoved the tip tops on. I removed the excess a minute or so later while it was still easy to scrape off with my finger nail. I’m not sure if I should maybe be using 5 minute epoxy for Tips this big? But I want to be able remove/replace them down the road. Or did I possibly just not have enough glue on/inside of the tube? Also I should be using a tip with a tube size 26.5 or maybe 27 but they don’t make them so I had to jump up to the 28. Maybe I need to add a layer of thread to the blank to take up some of the space? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I am new to all of this, obviously, lol.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Tip Top Adhesive
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: April 02, 2018 07:53AM

You need to put some glue inside the tiptop tube itself. Then heat the tube a little and slide it on. When you make the trim wrap at the tiptop, extend your epoxy finish up onto the tiptop tube by maybe 1/8th inch or so. This also helps to lock it in place, although it's not really necessary.

5-minute epoxy is certainly fine as well, it's just harder to remove the tiptop if you ever need to do that.

Posted by: David Parsons (---.s16300.c3-0.drf-ubr1.atw-drf.pa.cable.rcncustomer.com)
Date: April 02, 2018 09:15AM

I put a piece of glue inside of the tip and heat the tip put it on out of place and turn it into position spray with water to cool just make sure you have tip glue and not foot glue. have not had problems with any tip sizes

Posted by: Bill Sidney (---.gci.net)
Date: April 02, 2018 12:27PM

As they stated, shave some off an put in the tube an heat the tube also make sure that the tip of blank is ruffed up a little, break the glaze on it

William Sidney
AK

Posted by: John DeMartini (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: April 02, 2018 04:45PM

I use 2 part epoxy, it gives one plenty of time to align the tip along the guides. Worry about removing the guide IF it ever has to be replaced.
Good luck

John

Posted by: Matthew Pitrowski (---.lightspeed.milwwi.sbcglobal.net)
Date: April 02, 2018 05:25PM

been using 5 min epoxy for years and had to replace several tip tops for same customer and never has an issue with removing it after using 5 min epoxy as it is not as heat resistant as others and need about the same amount of heat to remove them as hot melt glue, the epoxy sticks better and short and fast the rod is ready for abuse again.
where the issues arise from is when you over heat the hot melt , then with removal it is over heated and breaks down the blank tip there is only so much heat a blank will take before the bonding resin breaks down.
If you use a pin type removal tool you can have a free hand to pull the blank when heating it as it starts to move cease heating it it should slip off with out any damage from over heating clean it up apply 5 min epoxy an add and aline the new tip top good to go

The best day to be alive is always tomorrow !!
Think out side the box when all else fails !!!
Wi.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: April 02, 2018 08:32PM

Never had a problem overheating a tip top when installing or removing it when hot melt glue was used. I have had a few disasters trying to remove a tip top that had been epoxied on; it takes more heat to break the epoxy bond then to melt hot melt cement. If you use epoxy, even the 5min stuff, be careful. I personally never use epoxy for installing tip tops, the holt melt cement works great with fewer problems.
Norm

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.97.252.156.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: April 03, 2018 05:20PM

I have always preferred Fuji tip glues.

Posted by: Frankie Chandler (---.pools.spcsdns.net)
Date: April 05, 2018 03:56AM

I noticed when all 3 tip tops pulled right back off that the hot melt glue I purchased from Mudhole did stick to the rod/blank quite well but however there was no glue at all in the tip top. The glue didn’t stick to it. The tip tops are are painted/coated black colored and the coating/paint is inside the tip top as well. I am going to sand the I.D. Of the tip tops to remove the finish with like some 180 grit sandpaper so I will also leave behind some scratches and whatnot for the glue to adhere too. Seems logical, to a newb like myself. I am going to try one using the hot melt glue I used prior and the other I found some Threadmaster (I believe it’s the same as the roddamcer) 5 minute epoxy gel that according to their advertising can “be removed with with mild heat” and it’s supposed to be “specifically designed for tip tops”. So between the two adhesives, and the sanding of the tube I.D. I should have a winner when I done. I appreciate all of the replies and advice I have gotten. I plan on stripping and wrapping some old rods to practice on as soon as I can get my hands on the rest of the tools I need to get started so I am sure I will have more questions down the road. Thanks again.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster