I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Thread Finish Suggestions
Posted by: Tony Boschi (172.58.169.---)
Date: March 31, 2018 07:09AM

Greetings all. So I have been mixing my 2 part thread finish for as long as I can remember and I am thinking about changing to a 1 part finish. Getting tired of the mess and the waste, as far as what I have to deal with. I'm looking at Threadmaster/Rod Dancer 1 part, but I'm open to options, discussion, debate, pros/cons and suggestions. As always, all help is greatly appreciated.

Tony Boschi
Banana River Rods
Merritt Island, Florida
321~525~1063

* Rapid Prototyping Services
* Custom Beach Rods
* Custom Inshore Rods

[bananariverrods.com]

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Thread Finish Suggestions
Posted by: Mark J. Mire (---.camtel.net)
Date: March 31, 2018 10:37AM

Great question and I look forward to hearing from the experienced builders.

I haven't used Threadmaster 1 part yet but have used Perma Gloss and that is a one part urethane finish.
I do not know what Threadmaster is made of but I'm thinking it's probably something similar.

Perma Gloss negatives: product storage is a major issue and I've learned from this forum that storing in the refrigerator solves many of those issues, it dries very quickly and a whole bottle will harden so keep a tight seal.
I particularly like it but have used it in limited situations.

But! I think I'll try it soon, based on the Threadmaster name I would assume it is at minimum satisfactory.

~ Mark J Mire

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: March 31, 2018 02:46PM

Tony,
Just a couple of hints about 2-part finish and mess etc.

I use syringes to measure out the mix. To keep the bottles well sealed, I store the syringes separately in long - rod blanks stored vertically in test tubes. That way, any excess finish that might happen to drip out of the syringe goes into the test tube and does not create a mess. After filling the syringe and emptying the syringe, the cap is put back on the finish container so that it does not dry out.
I never clean a syringe. Rather, I just simply use them, and when emptying the syringe, insure that I work the plunger up and down full length a couple of times to be sure to clear the syringe. Then, I store the syringe with the plunger pulled virtually all of the way out. That way, when you go to use the syringe the next time - if the plunger sticks a bit - you just have to push the plunger down to pop it free and get it working again.

I use plastic sample containers that I get from the grocery deli for a few cents each. I use a craft stick for mixing. I take a bunch of Popsicle sticks and chop the ends of perpendicular to the stick, and then, hit the ends with the belt sander to slightly round the corners of the sticks. By having slightly rounded corners on the sticks, the sticks do not cut through the plastic mixing cups, but with the square bottom, allow the sides and bottoms of the cups to be scraped clean during the mixing process.

Having said that, I measure equal amounts of finish into the mixing cup, and then using the craft stick mix for 120 seconds or 2 minutes. After mixing, I take a paper towel to wipe the stick clean and the stick is ready for use again.

I use cheap disposable brushes that I get from the children's coloring department at the big box stores. I end up paying about 5 cents each for the brushes.

After applying the coat of finish, I leave the mixing brush laying across the top of the mixing cup - to use as a dryness check if needed during the rod drying process. After that coat of finish has dried, and no need for the brush or mixing cup, they are tossed in the garbage.

No mess, no clean up, and the only thing involved is the use of one paper towel to wipe off the mixing cup and the mixing cup and brush used for that coat of finish.

For the bulk of my builds, I only apply one coat of finish and the rod ends up looking excellent.

It is really a very simple, nearly no clean up required and it works every time with 0 defects.

Good luck

Posted by: herb canter (70.40.97.---)
Date: March 31, 2018 10:29PM

Roger, how in the world do you get good results with such tiny bristle heads on those brushes especially with long wraps ?

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: April 01, 2018 09:31AM

Herb,
As Mr. Kirkman has said many times in the past, the brush really does not spread the finish. The brush is only used to carry the finish from the mixing cup to the rod. The brush is loaded enough and the finish is thin enough so that as the rod turns, the finish is pulled from the brush and rolls onto the rod. I always follow up with a bit of "GENTLE" heat such that the finish flows out very nicely. The finish levels and smooths itself with no brushing required on my part. The only thing that I use the brush for, after initial application is to add a touch more finish to a spot, or dab off a heavy spot on the finish if necessary.

[www.walmart.com]

[www.walmart.com]

These brushes end up being about 15 cents each. One brush per coat of finish on each rod. No clean up required ever.

[www.amazon.com]

These brushes run 8 cents each for one coat on one thread mix.

Good luck

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/01/2018 10:44AM by roger wilson.

Posted by: herb canter (70.40.97.---)
Date: April 01, 2018 02:47PM

Yeah , i read all Toms articles and watched his video's , he uses a much wider brush to spread the finish which i have also tried and find it much much easier .

Thanks for the input.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: April 01, 2018 07:18PM

I have tried the TreadMaster one and it’s not bad. Used it mostly for repairs that need a rapid turn around. Make sure you use thin coats and wait until it is dry to the touch, in my experience about an hour or so, before giving it another coat. If you put too heavy a coat on, it gets cloudy and dries rubbery. So use thin coat and you will have no problem. It is easy to use, is water clean up, and gives a nice durable finish. When I first got this stuff I was surprised that it was much thicker than permagloss. I still prefer the regular TreadMaster epoxy finish, but it worth a try. Do a couple of test wraps to see what you think of it.
Norm

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster