I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Threadmaster weight
Posted by: Mark J. Mire (---.camtel.net)
Date: March 29, 2018 06:08PM

I'm looking for the weight in grams or ounces for the 1:1 ratio of Threadmaster epoxy, regular and lite.
If anyone knows this I would greatly appreciate it.

Thank you for your time,

~ Mark

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Threadmaster weight
Posted by: Robert A. Guist (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: March 29, 2018 06:44PM

Hello Mark.

It's just equal amounts of hardener and resin, I use either a 3 or 10 cc syringe, I have 2 of each and so I don't get the 2 halves in the same syringe 1 is painted black and the other is painted red.
Most sellers of epoxy will sell you some syringes in whatever size you like.

Tight Wraps & Tighter Lines.

Bob,

New Bern, NC.

Posted by: Jay McKnight (---.dhcp.aldl.mi.charter.com)
Date: March 29, 2018 06:56PM

Mark J. Mire Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I'm looking for the weight in grams or ounces for
> the 1:1 ratio of Threadmaster epoxy, regular and
> lite.
> If anyone knows this I would greatly appreciate
> it.
>
> Thank you for your time,
>
> ~ Mark

46 grains hardener : 54 grains resin.

Date: March 29, 2018 07:37PM

Thank you very much Jay and Bob!

~ Mark

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: March 30, 2018 07:44AM

Mark,
You can call thread master and ask them the specific weight of the resin and of the hardener
If you wish to mix the resin and hardener by weight, you will need the information.

Or, you can also do the following:

Take two identical empty syringes and weigh each syringe on your sensitive scale that you are going to use for weighing.

Then, since the resin and hardener are to be mixed equally by volume, pull say - 5 ccs of material into each syringe. Then, measure each syringe individually.

Then, subtract the weight of each syringe from the measured weight.

Then, divide the weight by the number of CCs in the syringe.

Now, you will have the weight of the resin and the weight of the hardener by weight per CC of material.

So, if you decide to mix up a lb of resin, you will know how much weight of hardener you need to put with it.

-------------
But the manufacturers already have that information, so a simple e-mail or phone call will answer the question.

For large volumes of materials that need to be mixed - weight is a very good way to measure materials for mixing.

But, for small volumes, like we all use for building rods, then the use of volume is an easier and more repeatable way to measure the materials.

Good luck

p.s.
The other very simple thing to do, is to take two brand new bottles - that are each identical to each other - of a new batch of thread master finish.
Weigh each of the filled bottles of material. Each of the bottles will be identical in size, so the difference is weight will be the difference between the weight each of the materials.
But to be complete, you will also need to weigh an empty bottle so that weight can be subtracted from the full weight to know the real actual weight of each of the materials.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/30/2018 11:08AM by roger wilson.

Date: March 30, 2018 11:01AM

Wilson, great idea about the new full bottles. I didn't consider this!!!!!

Well, I called Scott at Rod Dancer and he had no clue. I thought he purchased the patent rights from Andy for ThreadMaster, therefore I thought he would know that information about his product.
If I need to contact someone else I wouldn't know who. When I get home I will look on the bottle for a manufacturer phone number, maybe my whole premise is wrong.
So yes, that was my first instinct, go directly to the source.

Such basic information, weight measurements is so much more accurate!

Thank you very much, I appreciate all your information.

~ Mark

Posted by: Terry Kirk (---.ks.ks.cox.net)
Date: March 30, 2018 11:35AM

My personal opinion is that you will find the syringe method best. When weighing you are adding possibilities of something going wrong. I'm betting no two bottles will remain the exact same weight each time you order. I guess you could check that theory by weighing several different bottles. Might be that a slight difference in measuring vs weighing makes no difference in consistency but i wouldn't risk it, that's just me. YMMV

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 30, 2018 11:47AM

Why not just use equal volumes, as Bob and Terry suggest. To me that is the easiest way to go. If you really want to use weight rather than volume when mixing your finish, just weigh an equal volume of each. This should be simple since you obviously have a scale. To get a good volume measurement, I put color coded Yorker caps on my Threadmaster bottles, and add resin and hardener to separate color coded syringes with the plungers removed. I do this by putting my gloved finger under the syringe nipple and filling the syringe to the desired volume. I then insert the plunger and squirt the contents into the mixing container. This should give very accurate measurements. However, Jay gave you the weight ratios of hardener to resin, which is 0.852. In other words, 1 oz of resin would require 0.852 oz of hardener, or I gm of resin would require 0.852 gm of hardener. In my experience Threadmaster is the most forgiving of measuring errors of all the finishes I have used.
Norm

Date: March 30, 2018 12:17PM

Got it, thank you all very much for your time and input.
The syringe method is proven to work great for many years with many highly experienced rod builders.
I sincerely respect that!

Although, I find using weight I eliminate messy syringes. Put cup on scale, put in the amount of weight for each product and voila, i'm done and never touched 2 syringes!
And to boot, far more accurate.

Now the intangible variable is the confidence in your numbers; equal amount the eye confirms! I fully understand we aren't reloading explosives, rocket science, or brain surgery.
And having to figure it out by weighing the bottles, jury rigging measurements to equal weights was precisely the reason I thought the manufacturer would be the first and foremost expert on their product.

I simply like less steps and less mess.

Thanks all!

Posted by: Jay McKnight (---.dhcp.aldl.mi.charter.com)
Date: March 30, 2018 05:29PM

Mark J. Mire Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Got it, thank you all very much for your time and
> input.
> The syringe method is proven to work great for
> many years with many highly experienced rod
> builders.
> I sincerely respect that!
>
> Although, I find using weight I eliminate messy
> syringes. Put cup on scale, put in the amount of
> weight for each product and voila, i'm done and
> never touched 2 syringes!
> And to boot, far more accurate.
>
> Now the intangible variable is the confidence in
> your numbers; equal amount the eye confirms! I
> fully understand we aren't reloading explosives,
> rocket science, or brain surgery.
> And having to figure it out by weighing the
> bottles, jury rigging measurements to equal
> weights was precisely the reason I thought the
> manufacturer would be the first and foremost
> expert on their product.
>
> I simply like less steps and less mess.
>
> Thanks all!

Get yourself a decent scale that measures in grains. Weigh 3'cc's of hardener and 3cc's of resin. Repeat several times to confirm your readings. Works well for me.

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 31, 2018 07:22AM

MEssy syringes just tells everyone you don't store your epoxy properly, for $4 you get the bottle tops that the syringes get stored in, and you never have to clean them up. ever. And you can easily and accurately mix a 1/2 CC as well as 5CC's and anything in between without having to do a conversion. But, to each their own, it wouldn't be rodbuilding if people didn't make things harder than they have to be.

Posted by: ben belote (---.zoominternet.net)
Date: March 31, 2018 01:26PM

Billy! lol..if it,s too easy, that would make us less talented in others eyes..

Posted by: Jay Dubay (---.clv.wideopenwest.com)
Date: March 31, 2018 08:38PM

Yorker caps is what I call them, Right Billy!!! [www.mudhole.com]

Posted by: Eric MONTACLAIR (---.w86-212.abo.wanadoo.fr)
Date: April 01, 2018 03:35AM

I’m with Billy.
Or depending of the brand you can drill a 4mm hole in the bottle top.

Seringues stored, no cleaning between uses, you simple but the bottle (with seringue) down and stir the amount you need (with no air in).

Simple and efficient.

Posted by: Gary Kilmartin (---.sub-174-221-16.myvzw.com)
Date: April 01, 2018 01:04PM

I measure by weight; with a digital scale, which is dead on accurate at the bottom end of the scale, and does not show any measurable inaccuracy unril it gets near 9000 grains; the top end of the scale. I had this unit tested by a friend; who is a certified metrologist. And, that is not a guy who makes guesses about the weather.

I had the three varieties of epoxy i use tested for specific gravity in the campus lab, at the college whre I taught for 25 years. Results as follows. I also did the weight test using new, full bottles that Roger suggested, and those reults matched the measured values.

Weights in grains, ratio = hardener/resin.

Threadmaster lite. 8/9

Flexcoat lite. 6/7

These two produce a small mix. Enough to cover a set of guides.

Flexcoat Rodbuilders glue 10/12. Enought to glue on a 10" grip or a reel seat, but not enough for both.

You can argue for ever about accuracy. My thoughts are a cerified digital scale in inherently more accurate than eyeballing the scale marks on a syringe. But, as long as your method produces acceptable results, ther's no point in fixing what ain't broke.

Date: April 01, 2018 04:06PM

I couldn't agree with you more.

Thank you very much for your time, and sharing your expertise!
I really appreciate it!

~ Mark J Mire

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster