I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Travel Rod Blank
Posted by: Geo Miller (---.ct.co.cr)
Date: March 24, 2018 01:10PM

I am a fairly new rod builder (3 to this point) and am thinking that for my next build I would like to build a 2 piece travel rod that I can use in various locations for inshore fishing (snook/redfish/tarpoon). Have always wanted to use a North Folk Composite Blank, and their present sale makes it very possible.

The two blanks I have narrowed it down to is;

a) HS 761-2 (HM) and the

b) HS 762-2 (IM).

I intend on using Fuji "new concept" guides, with a split handle, and probably a Fuji spinning reel seat. Reel will be a 3000 series and I like build as light as possible.

Any recommendations/advice would be appreciated

Regards

Geo M.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Travel Rod Blank
Posted by: Drew Pollock (---.218-62-69.ftth.swbr.surewest.net)
Date: March 25, 2018 04:28AM

So, a "travel rod" means something different, to every fisherman who travels. It may mean a 2 piece rod, a 3 piece rod, or a 4 piece rod. For me, as short as possible when broken down is good. So a 4 piece 9 foot fly rod is good. A 4 piece 7 foot spinning rod is also good from a traveling perspective.

It is rare to find true travel rod blanks.

So you need to consider your real priority. Do you want as short as possible to ease the travel, or longer is OK because it isn't really an issue.

The coolest "travel" blanks I have seen recently are from Rodgeeks. I've even built one. They have 4 piece 6'6" blanks in all normal powers. A 4 piece 6'6" rod fits in a backpack. a 2 piece 7'6" rod does not. If a rod section 4 feet long works for you, the blanks you mention are likely fine. But if the travel is your priority, I'd go shorter. I travel with 9 foot 4 piece fly rods all the time, and to me, that's the maximum acceptable length.

I'm sure North Fork is a good blank, but don't confine yourself here. There are many, many options. You've built 3 rods and are still getting better with each one. I'd keep the expenses in check.

Good luck, what ever you decide!

Posted by: Drew Pollock (---.218-62-69.ftth.swbr.surewest.net)
Date: March 25, 2018 04:30AM

Double post.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/25/2018 11:26AM by Drew Pollock.

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.97.252.156.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: March 25, 2018 02:51PM

MHX and St. Croix also offer 3 pc. travel blanks.

Posted by: Seth Johnson (---.williams.com)
Date: March 27, 2018 07:22AM

I was going to recommend that as well, the St. Croix 2SW76MF3 looks like a good choice. If you're looking for light, I would KR concept over NGC.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster