I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Topwater/Jerkbait blank
Posted by: Joe Coughlin (165.225.0.---)
Date: March 23, 2018 11:55AM

I want to build a casting rod for throwing jerkbaits and also some topwater using monofiliament. I am thinking something in the 6'9" range. Any good blank suggestions?

Thanks,
Joe

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Topwater/Jerkbait blank
Posted by: Bob McKamey (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: March 23, 2018 12:44PM

According to the size or weight of the baits and pound test line, either of these two models - [www.mudhole.com] or [www.mudhole.com]

Thank You!!

Bob McKamey
Mud Hole Custom Tackle
bobm@mudhole.com

Posted by: Seth Johnson (---.williams.com)
Date: March 23, 2018 12:46PM

I'm planning on building one on a 3S68MXF in the next few weeks.
[www.mudhole.com]

Posted by: Lance Schreckenbach (---.lightspeed.hstntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 23, 2018 02:06PM

Joe there are just a ton of good blanks for that. I would be looking for a blank that is medium light to slightly more on the medium action side with a soft tip. You need the backbone to cast the larger topwaters and the soft tip to work them and the jerkbaits. The mono has stretch so a slightly faster rod will serve you well. I would look at for less expensive the Batson Rainshadow RX6 SB822.5, SB842 (spinning blanks but will work great), SP842 and SP843. On the more expensive side I would look at the Fuji Point Blank; PB691MLXF, PB691MXF, PB701MLF and PB701MF. North Fork Composites; IM-P703-1, IM-P704-1, HM-P703-1, HM-P704-1. Batson Revelation REVC68MXF-SB, REVS610MXF-SB, REVIP70ML-SB, REVIP70M-SB. Immortal IMMS610MXF-TC, IMMP70ML-TC, IMMP70M-TC, IMMWS68MXF-TC. Phenix M1; MX-69ML - B. K2 TX-683ML-C - B, TX-684MH-C - B.
These are all good for what you want to do. I have built on most all of these, some you will need to cut a few inches off the butt and a couple are about an inch shorter than 6’9” but they will all get you there. There are also a lot more good blanks for this. Ignore for the most part the Manufacturers designations like like “spinning” or “casting”, “dropshot”, “saltwater”, “freshwater”, etc. Instead think of the performance for your application and what you want it to do.
Cheers,
Lance

Posted by: Capt. Craig Freeman (---.hampton.k12.va.us)
Date: March 23, 2018 03:21PM

I throw alot of top water. Spooks, and chug bugs mostly. I like the American Tackle Bushido MB68/12-20 for that application. Of course depending on your specific area needs you could up or down a blank size in that line. I promise you won't be disappointed with the AT blanks.

Craig

Capt. Craig Freeman
Grading Scales Sportfishing and Back River Rods

Posted by: Steve Monroe (---.kya.res.rr.com)
Date: March 25, 2018 12:28AM

I like these from Hydra.

Bass Fishing: Jerkbait, Topwater

BT8015JT: 6 – 12# Line | 3/16 – 3/8 oz Lure

BT8025JT: 8 – 14# Line | 1/4-1/2 oz Lure

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster