I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Advantages of a spiral wrap
Posted by: Doug Schreiber (---.lightspeed.oshkwi.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 23, 2018 07:40AM

Justin, where are you located? Sounds like the same questions I had asked. I have made five spiral wraps this past year and all were for walleye fishing,casting rippin raps, trolling plugs, harnesses, bottom bouncing and rigging. I have three more on deck and I am looking at up grading all my trolling (walleye and salmon) rods. I think I Found the right blank finally. Very happy with the performance of the wrapped rods. My brother does a lot of death rig and dragging buck flies and the spiral wrap eliminates the torque or twist that you get with a standard casting rod. Easier On the hand and fore arm and much better feel. Not fighting the rod anymore. This is the great thing about building your own, there is no wrong way. To get a better idea mock up a blank, with a reel seat and reel and put it in a rod holder and see how the line runs through the guides. Hold it like you're fishing and attach the line to a weight or anchor and you will see and feel the difference fast. I will post pictures of the one I am working on as soon as I get my parts.

See you on the water, Doug
Captain Paddlefoot

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Robert A. Guist (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: March 23, 2018 02:01PM

Hello All.

I have been using spiral wrapped rollers for years, they work fine, MudHole listed them in the 2008 catalog on top of pg. 104 as "@#$%& Spiral Roller Guides", a set would run from $96.20 (for silver) to $163.20 (for black & gold) plus the Tip $20.00 (silver) & $31.10 (black & gold), or you could buy them separately.

It's been a while since I built any of these, maybe it's time to build a few (if I can still find the rollers).

Just looked and MudHole still carries these (a little more $).
For some reason they don't want me to say @#$%& (n3e4p5t6u7n8e).

Tight Wraps & Tighter Lines.

Bob,

New Bern, NC.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/23/2018 02:10PM by Robert A. Guist.

Posted by: Justin Carlson (---.64-179-164.vastbb.net)
Date: March 23, 2018 07:21PM

Doug I am in south east South Dakota

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 23, 2018 07:46PM

All American guides, one of our sponsors, sells roller guides for spiral wraps.
Norm

Posted by: David Baylor (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: March 24, 2018 04:25PM

I get the whole zero rod torque, and less guides benefits of a spiral wrap. What I need someone to explain, is how a spiral wrapped rod can cast as well as a conventionally wrapped, casting rod,

Logic would say that it can't. Of course logic doesn't necessarily go hand in hand with fishing.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: March 24, 2018 05:24PM

David,
Remember, that when casting there is very little friction on any of the rod components. So, even though the line wraps around the rod and has potentially a bit of friction as it goes around the rod- the difference in casting in most cases is negligible.

Build two identical rods with exactly the same guides and the same number of guides but build one as a conventional casting rod and one as a spiral wrap and fish with them both and give us a product report on what you discover.

Good luck

Posted by: Tim Collins (---.hsd1.mi.comcast.net)
Date: March 25, 2018 12:03PM

I used to salmon and steelhead fish with a fly rod. Then I moved to a spinning rod. But I built 3 spiral wraps to use with a Daiwa casting reel and would never waste my time using anything else. The advantage of the casting reel is by using my thumb as the brake I can't place the offering on the exact spot I want to. I can't do that with a spinning reel.

I made a 13' Talon float rod but could never get the knack of casting with a pin.So I bought an extra butt section from Talon and built it as a spiral wrap. I can loosen the tension on the Daiwa and it will feed out as easily as the pin, and I can cast the offering into the next zip code with it.

Trust, but verify - Ronald Reagan

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.97.252.156.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: March 25, 2018 02:39PM

David, I have re-wrapped 3 of my 7' casting rods as simple spirals and I have no complaints. I've used size 4 fly guides as bumpers and have no problem casting leader knots thru them. I'm not saying you should use a bumper that small, but I do. Try one, you won't have any problem keeping the line off the blank. If you don't like it you know how to fix it.

Posted by: Justin Carlson (---.64-179-164.vastbb.net)
Date: March 28, 2018 09:58PM

Thanks for all of the reply's guys, Now my question is which guides do I get for this build? I am planning on a seven foot rod and was thinking of getting this Fuji kit from Mud Hole [www.mudhole.com] but I am not sure there are enough double foot guides to get me through the spiral. What are you guys using for guides on a spiral wrap? Justin

Posted by: Travis Thompson (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: April 01, 2018 08:46AM

I like them for trolling both walleye and salmon. It helps keep the reel upright rather than wanting to roll over in the rod holders. Its annoying getting a large salmon on and you pull the rod out and have to roll it over. Then the line wraps the tip as you roll it over. Bang there goes the fish and about $100 worth of dipsey,flasher, swivels, spoon ect

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster