I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Gary Loomis/North Fork Composites - New Business Model
Posted by: Aleks Maslov (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: March 20, 2018 08:50PM

Dear Rodbuilders,

Thank you for taking the time to read this note - we exist largely as a company because of you. Gary started making custom rods for himself when he could not find a factory rod that would allow him to catch summer run steelhead. Forty years later, (and yes, even a few companies later) the custom rod builder is at the center of what we do.

We are announcing today that we are becoming a direct to consumer/factory direct company in the US. We will do a live Facebook Q&A with Gary on Friday at 12:00 PST

Our goal is to provide a 100% US manufactured performance blank, without any additional markup that is demanded by distribution or retail outlets. We have ran a few promotions and have had to shut down our webpage/stop taking orders due to the demand. Working direct with you, will give us the ability to provide better pricing, better service, and continue to invest into our products.

Those of you that hunt as well - this page explains it the best: [www.kuiu.com] . We did not invent this model, but believe that it is powerful and relevant in our current world.

The decision to do this revolves around wanting to give you the best product, the best price, AND hear your immediate feedback. We believe American Innovation, design, labor, and manufacturing is better than products brought in from Asia, and taking any un-needed markup out of the transaction will level the playing field.

As always, we welcome your feedback and look forward to hearing from you.

Gary and Aleks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Gary Loomis/North Fork Composites - New Business Model
Posted by: Michal Rozycki (193.201.167.---)
Date: March 21, 2018 03:44AM

Dear Aleks,

In your message you say "direct to consumer/factory direct company in the US". Is that going to affect overseas distribution in any way? Meaning, abroad you will continue selling via your foreign distributors? Not that I have any problem with that, I would just like to know.
Best regards,
Michal

Posted by: Gary Weber (---.241.113.253.4wbi.net)
Date: March 21, 2018 07:12AM

Hi Alex and Gary,
Looks like you have a well thought out plan. I wish you well in your business and personal undertakings.
Gary

Posted by: Aleks Maslov (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: March 21, 2018 02:15PM

Michal,

Going to a direct business model outside of the US does not make economic sense due to shipping/insurance costs and returns/refunds/warranties. To ship a 7 foot blank costs roughly $75 (at the cheapest) and some countries in Europe (like Poland/Romania/etc) run into the hundreds of dollars. If a customer has an issue, it becomes cost prohibitive to send a shipping label for a return or a warranty claim, and the net result ends in bad customer service. It makes more economic sense to have an authorized distributor with a warehouse as it lowers the transaction costs.

It is a different story in the US, logistics/shipping is relatively cheap ($30 with insurance for a 7 foot blank).

Thank you,
Alex

Posted by: Michal Rozycki (---.neoplus.adsl.tpnet.pl)
Date: March 21, 2018 03:50PM

Aleks Maslov Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Michal,
>
> Going to a direct business model outside of the US
> does not make economic sense due to
> shipping/insurance costs and
> returns/refunds/warranties. To ship a 7 foot blank
> costs roughly $75 (at the cheapest) and some
> countries in Europe (like Poland/Romania/etc) run
> into the hundreds of dollars. If a customer has an
> issue, it becomes cost prohibitive to send a
> shipping label for a return or a warranty claim,
> and the net result ends in bad customer service.
> It makes more economic sense to have an authorized
> distributor with a warehouse as it lowers the
> transaction costs.
>
>
> It is a different story in the US,
> logistics/shipping is relatively cheap ($30 with
> insurance for a 7 foot blank).
>
> Thank you,
> Alex

Thought as much. As I said, I absolutely have no problem with your current arrangments overseas.

Thanks for taking the time to reply.
All the best with "the New Deal" ;-).

Michal

Posted by: Jay Dubay (---.clv.wideopenwest.com)
Date: March 22, 2018 04:40AM

{ QUOTE It is a different story in the US,
> logistics/shipping is relatively cheap ($30 with
> insurance for a 7 foot blank).
>
> Thank you,
> Alex } That Sir is False !! I have NEVER Paid that much Shipping For A Blank Period!!!!!!!!! from any Vendor!!! Why Are Your Shipping Charges IN THE USA so High compared to any one else???? Gary Loomis is a great blank designer. When it comes to marketing I will let your quote speak for me. {Quote and yes, even a few companies later}????
Example! Why can I ship 3, 7 foot blanks from RodGeeks in NY to You for $18.95 with no tax ????? Good Luck on your Endeavor
Contact information

Shipping address 130 Harrison Suite 8
Sequim, WA 98382
shipping address
Shipping method
Standard Shipping $18.95
Continue to payment method This is one example I can provide many more, Someone needs to Sharpen some Pencils Cheers Jaa

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/26/2018 06:27PM by Jay Dubay.

Posted by: Thomas Kaufmann (107.77.83.---)
Date: March 22, 2018 11:24AM

Marketing at its best.... no other company outright has customer pay fet, all figure it in as part of the cost. Still like theblanks though

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: March 22, 2018 12:02PM

All customers pay the FET regardless of blank manufacturer/supplier. It's either buried in the price or added on. It's the same amount either way.

Posted by: Dan Ertz (---.dsl.airstreamcomm.net)
Date: March 22, 2018 12:37PM

Please add tip and butt dimensions for your ICE blanks. Are these solid blanks or conventional tubular blanks?

Thanks and best of luck with direct business model.

Posted by: Grant Darby (---.prod-infinitum.com.mx)
Date: March 22, 2018 02:34PM

Ah....do you not suppose Aleks was referring to shipping OUTSIDE the US? Oops, didn't see that last part.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/22/2018 02:38PM by Grant Darby.

Date: March 22, 2018 07:54PM

Dan Ertz Wrote:
> Please add tip and butt dimensions for your ICE
> blanks. Are these solid blanks or conventional
> tubular blanks?
>
> Thanks and best of luck with direct business
> model.

Dan, I will pass that on to the webmaster.

They are tubular blanks, which are zentron/carbon hybrids.

Best,
Alex

Date: March 22, 2018 08:00PM

Jay Dubay Wrote:
> { QUOTE It is a different story in the US,
> > logistics/shipping is relatively cheap ($30 with
>
> > insurance for a 7 foot blank).
> >
> > Thank you,
> > Alex } That
> Sir is False !! I have NEVER Paid that much
> Shipping For A Blank Period!!!!!!!!! from any
> Vendor!!! Why Are Your Shipping Charges IN THE
> USA so High compared to any one else???? Gary
> Loomis is a great blank designer. When it comes to
> marketing I will let your quote speak for me.
> {Quote and yes, even a few companies later}????
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
> Example! Why can I ship 3, 7 foot blanks from
> RodGeeks in NY to You for $18.95 with no tax
> ????? Good Luck on your Endeavor
> Contact information
>
> Shipping address
>
>
>
>
> S 1395
> Down River Drive, Suite D
> Woodland WA 98382, United States
> Edit Edit shipping address
> Shipping method
>
> Standard Shipping $18.95
> Continue to payment method
> This is one example I can provide many more,
> Someone needs to Sharpen some Pencils Cheers Jaa

Jay,

We use flat rate shipping. Try to run that some quote for a blank that is 8 or 9 feet in length. Still $30 on the NFC webpage. We can typically put up to 20 blanks into a tube, and it travels with Insurance. (Our blanks cost a lot to manufacture, we insure them in case of breakage in transit, and that raises the price just a bit)

Best,
Alex

Posted by: Bill Sidney (---.gci.net)
Date: March 22, 2018 10:02PM

i//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////,

William Sidney
AK

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/24/2018 05:47AM by Bill Sidney.

Posted by: Thomas Kaufmann (107.77.83.---)
Date: March 22, 2018 11:46PM

Tom my point was why not figure it in the blank total and lessen what would appear to be additional charges? I completely agree we all pay FET one way or another. Not looking to stir the pot just an observation

Ya’ll have a good one
Tom

Date: March 23, 2018 12:52AM

Bill,

If you are in Alaska, (or Hawaii) shipping is much more than we charge. $30 shipping is flat rate, irregardless on the length of the blank. We make a lot of blanks over 8 feet, which cost A LOT MORE than $30 to ship. There is nothing "sneaky" about our shipping. To ship from Portland to New York, costs more than $30 (we use FedEx) Same for Portland to Florida. We are always happy to ship on a customers account as well.

If something happens during shipping, you will give us a call, and expect us to warranty/replace the part, which is where the insurance, and choice of carrier (FedEx) comes in. They are the most expensive, but they play their claims promptly, and for us, have the best track record in terms of delivery.

Have a great day,
Alex

Posted by: David Miller (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: March 23, 2018 06:43AM

I am certainly not one to tell anybody how they should run their business. This is only a suggestion. I understand for simplicity sake the flat rate shipping but is it fair for the person that buys 7 ft blanks to help cover another that buys 8ft plus. Since the FET tax per blank is added at checkout for transparency why not a one time oversize shipping fee for blanks 8ft and over?

But then Steffen Bros charges $30 flat rate for shipping multi piece fly rod blank and I don’t see or hear anyone complaining. In the decision to buy or not it comes down to value so a $30 shipping charge is not going to stop me from buying quality USA made rod blanks.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/23/2018 08:40AM by David Miller.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: March 23, 2018 08:06AM

Thomas Kaufmann Wrote:
> Tom my point was why not figure it in the blank
> total and lessen what would appear to be
> additional charges? I completely agree we all pay
> FET one way or another. Not looking to stir the
> pot just an observation
>
> Ya’ll have a good one
> Tom

I don't know. It could be so that it's easier to put things on sale and charge FET after the fact, rather than having to pre-figure everything each time you run a sale or price reduction. But again, I really don't know. Different companies do it different ways.

Posted by: Lance Schreckenbach (---.lightspeed.hstntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 23, 2018 05:06PM

Hey Gary and Aleks,
Just got my order placed. The shipping was kind of pricey along with the excise tax. But it was still at a better price than I could get anywhere else. My only suggestion to yalls outstanding company is to just include the excise tax in the cost of the blanks and don’t show it unless it is a footnote. Really appreciate the honesty though and I like the model and openness to sell directly to the public. That is what I used to like about the old other company with his name. If yall get too strapped with local taxes then we would be glad to have you in Texas. Good Luck and do you think you could speed my order up a little. I am really excited and want to get started on it.
Thanks,
Lance

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: March 23, 2018 06:46PM

I buy more than one blank at a time so shipping is split over many blanks, still if I wanted a blank I'd pony up, and I live only 40 miles or so from the plant.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: March 23, 2018 07:18PM

I buy more than one blank at a time so shipping is split over many blanks, still if I wanted a blank, I'd pony up, and I live only 40 miles or so from the plant.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster