I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Guide Spacing
Posted by: Brandon Smith (---.midco.net)
Date: March 19, 2018 10:24PM

Hi everyone,
I'm wondering what people are doing to find the right guide spacing. Is following a set chart a sufficient of doing it? Or should I get like the Morton guide locating chart by Don Morton? I'm looking for quick and easy ways but also looking for the best ways. Any suggestions would be very helpful.
Brandon

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Guide Spacing
Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: March 20, 2018 04:15AM

Most blank manufacturers have charts on line, Mudhole has them, Rainshadow has a ton of them in their "recipes" section of their website. You can do searches like "Pac Bay guide spacing" or similar, too. . They should all be considered a starting point to be revised by your own stress testing and test casting. I'm not familiar with the Morton chart, but it cannot comprehend all blanks, all actions, all powers, all preferences. As you get into it more you'll find even the line and reel to be used on casting and spin rods will affect guide placements, especially the first guide, but also sizes. But don't be daunted by all the info; much of the tweaking is to get that last "5%". Factory rods don't take all this into account and many work just fine. Stress test is the most important, so if torn by conflicting info, believe that first.

Posted by: Donald La Mar (---.lightspeed.lsvlky.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 20, 2018 07:58AM

Read this [www.rodbuilding.org]

If you have manufacturer or other source of suggested spacing use it as a starting point.

Exceptions to stress testing are the stripper, collection and first running guide for MicroWave guides and Fuji concept setups.

Posted by: Eugene Moore (---.dhcp.stls.mo.charter.com)
Date: March 20, 2018 11:22AM

Brandon,
I use a spreadsheet I created based on effective rod length and desired number of guides I wish to use.
This in turn is adjusted based on the rod tip dia.
I prefer to utilize 1 guide per foot and add or subtract 1 for desired performance aspects.
I feel that visual guide placements are more subjective based on the perspective of the individual. More guides are always better from a visual point-of-view even if they reduce rod performance by increasing dynamic inertias.

Gene

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 20, 2018 02:08PM

First of all, "quick and easy" may not be "the best way!" I only build fly rods so cannot comment on other applications. I start with the manufacturers guide spacing recommendations and the adjust as needed using stress testing. Very often the adjustments are minimal. The manufacturers do a pretty good job with the charting.

Posted by: Lance Schreckenbach (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: March 20, 2018 02:50PM

To me all guides spacing is relative to the line height from the reel (hand placement on fly rods) and the guide height. I always try to space the three closest guides to reel in as straight a line as possible whatever that space will be. The runner guides, if there is a sufficient amount, can be somewhat generic but the quantity and the spacing will depend on the flex of the blank and alignment with the 3 stripper guides.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: March 20, 2018 07:43PM

Don's suggestion, works on all rods, all the time.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster