I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

North Fork Composites Blanks
Posted by: Josh white (---.sub-174-218-17.myvzw.com)
Date: March 18, 2018 10:51PM

Guys I'm placing an order for a group of blanks from NFC. Any experienced feedback is appreciated. I'm looking for blanks to fit the following techniques. Drop shot/ shakey head 7ft range with nice power fishing around deep cover 3-6lb largemouth, a 7'6-8ft punching rod and a 6-6ft med for poppers and floating rattling rogues. Then 3 other casting blanks outside of those that would cover most bass fishing situations such as a texas rig, spinnerbaits and other moving baits.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: North Fork Composites Blanks
Posted by: David DeBruhl (170.7.248.---)
Date: March 19, 2018 02:06PM

DS-6107 MLXF IM is a good blank for shakey head and Neko rigging around docks. I've built three for clients and one for myself. Very sensitive and plenty of backbone. I also personally have the MB705 MHF IM for Carolina rig and flipping. Some like a 7'6" for flipping but the 7' works for me. Light, sensitive, and stout. Hope this helps.

Posted by: David Baylor (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: March 19, 2018 04:53PM

I'm building on 2 NFC blanks right now. Both from the IM series. One is the DS - 6107 mentioned above. Understand that I haven't fished either of them yet. I have the guides and everything on the DS-6107, but I haven't wrapped the guides yet. With that in mind, I really don't think it will be what you're looking for as far as power goes. Yes it feels as if it is going to be very sensitive, but personally I was disappointed with the power it seems to have. It's not something you're going to be pulling fish out of cover, with. But then again it's a drop shot rod, so power isn't their forte. From my perspective it's definitely and open hook sparse cover kind of rod blank. Not enough power for shaky heads in my estimation.

Once again, I haven't fished the rod as yet, so consider my opinion with that in mind.

I'm also building on an MB 709 from the IM series. I know you mentioned 7'6" - 8" punching rod, and I understand that length helps in punching, but the MB 709 is going to make an excellent punching and flipping rod, which is the intended purpose of the rod I am building on it. All the literature listed for the blank says mod fast action, but the decal that came with my blank lists the action as fast. I highly doubt it's fast action, and when I do my static load to place the running guides, I am going to check the AA .

Anyhow ... it's 7' rated for 3/8 - 2 oz baits, and 14 - 30# line. I cannot wait to fish this rod. Definitely a rod that will be well suited for pulling fish out of heavy cover. I actually need to get my butt and gear and at least get the MB 709 build done. I'll be fishing my first tournament in less than a month, and it will be a must have for that event

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: March 19, 2018 09:12PM

The classic 769 flipping stick in IM makes an outstanding flipping and punch rod, moderate actioned like it should be. Fished a 797 flipping stick in IM a couple years ago, was nice also and would make a good punching rod into the 1 3/4 oz range would be my guess, call to see if the MB807 and above are similar blanks.

Posted by: Rick Elrod (---.mycingular.net)
Date: March 20, 2018 09:31AM

Would the 769 IM mentioned above be good for both pitching jigs into cover (trees) and flipping into open river grass mats? I have been building my rods using the KR Concept with 4.5 runners and tip. Is this a good guide train for these applications?

Thanks,
Rick

Posted by: David Baylor (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: March 20, 2018 04:51PM

Rick, my opinion concerning your question ........ yes, While I don't use the casting rod KR concept, (still the 3 double foot guides in the reduction guides) I do use 4.5s for running guides. I use Fuji L guides. For me, they're easier to do locking wraps on compared to KTs.

I don't use leaders, so I don't have to worry about passing any knots, and other than some seasonal issues, when cottonwood trees are blooming, or any other scenario that may have clingy debris floating on top of the water, (it sticks to the line and will clog the smaller guides more quickly) they work great!!

Posted by: Rick Elrod (---.mycingular.net)
Date: March 20, 2018 05:12PM

Thank you David!

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: March 22, 2018 11:04PM

With 2 exceptions, I have been building/using spiral wrapped bait casting rods for all things bass fishing since 1979, and have yet to see a technique where they do not excel, tip up or tip down

one was a show rod for Bill Batson, have also build him a few spiral wrapped rods, one of which he has stated repeatedly if his favorite rod.

the other don't even remember why, but have not made that mistake again.

If I have a client that insists he does not want a spiral wrap. I send him to another builder who might can make him happy.

the only down side to them and the reason a lot of builders don't like them is because they take longer to set up.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster