I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Guide Weight
Posted by: Brett Unrau (---.merlin.mb.ca)
Date: March 13, 2018 12:44PM

Wow, are the Titanium Torzite guides ever $$$$$.

Just curious how much less they weight than the Alconite ones? I am looking at the Fuji KL series at mudhole.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Guide Weight
Posted by: herb canter (---.dsl.atmc.net)
Date: March 13, 2018 12:56PM

Titanium Alconite was discontinued by Fuji , only titanium with SIC or Torzite are offered these days and both are $$$. Fuji went full blown corrosion control on most of their guides and i see " Performance of titanium for much less money " everywhere now . Problem is corrosion control was never an issue with me in my experiences over the years using Fuji guides .

It's titanium's extreme light weight that makes them so desirable to me NOT corrosion resistance. I still buy polished frames with alconite rings these days because they look a lot better than the newer CC frame coatings imo.

Jim Ising will know about the weight differences .

Posted by: Jim Ising (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: March 13, 2018 03:51PM

TORZITE® edges out SiC for hardness, fracture resistance and polish. The weight savings (around 20%) come from the fact that because of the superior specs the TORZITE® ring can be made slimmer and still perform to SiC standards. TORZITE® is amazingly "springy" for lack of a better word. The resiliency contributes to the increased fracture resistance and, although not quantified, seems to help sensitivity as well. TORZITE® was developed at Fuji's request in a joint effort with KYOCERA, specifically as a guide ring. Not an abrasive or insulator or anything else - just a guide ring, with all the performance demands that go along with that job description. Since the formulation has no other applications in other industries, the price remains high

Posted by: herb canter (---.dsl.atmc.net)
Date: March 13, 2018 03:59PM

I read everything about the Torzite ceramic and it's very very impressive, twenty percent lighter than SIC , thats fantastic.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: March 13, 2018 05:31PM

If it's lighter for the same size and rigidity, then it will indeed impact (reduce) sensitivity less than a guide that is heavier at the same specs.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: March 20, 2018 02:01PM

Expensive is a relative term. A pair of red Abel leader nippers (like fingernail clippers) goes for $105. Apparently some people think they cut 10# monofilament a LOT better than cheaper fingernail clippers. I can easily imagine a single running guide costing $90, since the metalwork and plating of the guide is more complex than the clipper's construction.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster