I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
CRB VeraiblenSpeed Dryer
Posted by: Robert Mckee (---.126.140.67.dynamic.ip.windstream.net)
Date: March 09, 2018 12:09PM

I have tried the new dryer and it’s not very good. Twice I’ve gotten new ones and the quality control is bad. The electrical connections inside the controller came loose without stressing them. The motor is very noisy, sounds like a box of rocks. I hope I can find a good one but I am very disappointed. This is not CRB standards.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: CRB VeraiblenSpeed Dryer
Posted by: Steven Corvin (---.lightspeed.brhmal.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 09, 2018 02:29PM

Ditto

Date: March 09, 2018 06:35PM

I hope they can fix it because I do like it when my others are in use. The noise is not right on such a little motor. And I would never let it turn by it’s self at night, I’m afraid of burning my house down.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: March 09, 2018 08:26PM

Robert,
Although you should not have to do anything with a new product, here is a very quiet reliable motor. It is set up for 24 volts. So you would want to read the output voltage on your plug in power supply to verify the supply voltage going to the motor.

It is likely either 24 volts, or 12 volts.

[www.amazon.com]

Compared to some of the other imported small gear motors, the one listed above, by this particular manufacturer has a more quiet gear case than some of the other manufacturers.

I use similar motors to these for all of my own power wrappers as well as dryers. Quiet and reliable.

p.s.
If you would like really quiet - and relatively expensive motors, select a Pittman DC motor. Pittman motors have long been known for very high quality small DC motors and gear motors. Excellent quality with a near noiseless gear case.

Good luck

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/12/2018 06:57PM by roger wilson.

Date: March 09, 2018 08:30PM

p.s.
Sometimes on these small motors with attached gear trains that are noisy, you can make them better by removing the end plate, and use a liberal application of turbine oil on the gears. Of course you do this at your own risk.

[www.amazon.com]

By the way, this oil is an excellent oil to use in your fishing reels as well as any other items that you want good long term lubrication without having to worry about the oil getting oxidized and sticky gooey.

Good luck

Posted by: Richard Kline (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 10, 2018 07:32AM

Robert:
Have Pac`Bay dryer for years never had any issues`with it. Replacement parts are readily available and its does 4 rods at once.

Rich Kline Custom Rods

Posted by: Dennis Danku (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 10, 2018 07:06PM

Yes, I too have a CRB rod dryer and do not use it for fear of a fire or coming apart. Too noisy to run over night. Nice idea but quality is not there. Had I've known I would have gone Flex-Coat dryer. It was the xmas special, comes in a box with rod stands.

Dennis J. Danku
(Sayreville,NJ)

Posted by: Barry Thomas Sr (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: March 10, 2018 10:10PM

Sorry for the MULTI POST

Date: March 11, 2018 01:46PM

Well after all the advice I took mine apart. The motor is quite enough, turns well, but the gear box was almost dry, after lubricating it still sounded like a box of rocks. The gears need to be reworked and I know it can be much much quieter.

Date: March 11, 2018 02:57PM

Robert,
One thing that you can try, but if you do try it - you are on your own.

Here is a way to break in or run in your gears on a gear box. It works but it may also destroy the gear box.

Take the gear box cover off and remove all of the lubricant. Then, fill the gear box with tooth paste - especially on the gears them selves.

If you need to put the cover on to run the motor, put the cover on the motor and run the motor for 15 minutes.

Take the cover off and remove all of the tooth paste, doing a good job to remove every bit of the tooth paste. Then, just put a bunch of light oil on the gears and in the case and put the cover back on. Run the motor for 5 minutes and see if it made any difference.

But, in any event, remove the cover and remove all of the oil - which will help insure that all of the lapping compound or tooth paste has been removed from the gear case. Then, repack the gears using a very light grease, or oil if you find it works better and put the cover back on.

---------------
If after this process, the noise has been reduced, but it has not been reduced enough, repeat the process for another two hours of running. Then, clean, oil, run, clean, and relubricate.

I just used this process last evening on a new motors gear case and it made a very big difference in the operation of the motor. The thing that you need to be careful about, when doing this process is to try to minimize the amount of lapping compound that gets into the bearings. You want to lap in the gears, but not the bearings.

Or you could buy a new quiet motor and replace your current motor.

Let us know how it works out for you.

p.s.
If you get some results with tooth paste but need a more aggressive lapping compound, you could make up a slurry of bar tenders friend cleaner and water, or comet cleaner and water to increase the cutting action.

Date: March 11, 2018 05:10PM

Thank you for that info, I’ll try it and it may help. I took electrical tape and took it around the gear box a few times and the insulation helped.

Posted by: Robert A. Guist (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: March 11, 2018 05:36PM

Hello Robert.

What is that going to do to the temperature of the motor?

Tight Wraps & Tighter Lines.

Bob,

New Bern, NC.

Posted by: Robert Mckee (---.212.19.98.dynamic.ip.windstream.net)
Date: March 11, 2018 08:19PM

I don’t think lapping the gears will hurt at all, in fact it should cut down on friction.

Date: March 11, 2018 08:19PM

I don’t think lapping the gears will hurt at all, in fact it should cut down on friction.

Posted by: David DeBruhl (170.7.248.---)
Date: March 12, 2018 10:58AM

I have the same issue of noise you are talking about. I've tried leaving a negative feedback to warn others that this is an issue, but my review never gets posted. This was also a Christmas gift from my wife. Thanks for the advice. If lapping doesn't work, I will probably change it out to the motor Roger mentioned. CRB should make it right. Hopefully they are reading.

Posted by: Robert A. Guist (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: March 12, 2018 05:49PM

Hello Robert.

I was talking about the tape you wrapped around your motor, I would think it would heat it up, maybe to the point of overheating.

Tight Wraps & Tighter Lines.

Bob,

New Bern, NC.

Date: March 12, 2018 05:56PM

So far,the tap is not even warm, I just can’t beleve CRB hasn’t called a recall or at least send out s gear box.

Date: March 12, 2018 06:00PM

I have a PAC Bay wrapper and it’s ok as long as you keep and eye on it all the time. I both the one it came with and the aluminum chuck. Nether will hold a Rod reliably. I’m glade yours is working good.

Posted by: Robert Mckee (---.73.185.173.ip.windstream.net)
Date: March 16, 2018 11:31PM

Well I took the gear box off and the motor is very quiet. The gear box is loose as a goose. I’ve delt with many gear boxes in the past but this is sad. I have tried everything that I can think of. The only solution is a new gear box if one can be found. If anyone finds a solution please let me know.

Date: March 18, 2018 11:36PM

Robert,
As I said, the very easy and simple solution is to check the voltage on the power supply and motor. Also check the operational speed of the motor.

Then go out on the great big internet and find a replacement DC gear motor that has the correct voltage and output speed. Replace the current motor and gear box with the new unit.

You can often find some very good motors for $10-$20 with free shipping.

If you can't find what you need, I do have a bunch of various motors that I could possibly match up to your requirements.

Good luck in your search.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster