I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Clear Coat Finish Reco for Painted Graphite Rod
Posted by: Richard Palmersheim (---.wi.res.rr.com)
Date: March 07, 2018 03:56PM

Can anyone give me a recommendation on an easy to apply clear coat for use on a painted graphite rod blank? As background, I am picking up rod building again after a 40 year hiatus, so am trying to relearn the techniques and modern approaches to the hobby. I am practicing on an unfinished ultralight graphite blank that I purchased at a garage sale. It was unfinished and unsanded, so I have sanded (lightly) and painted it with metallic dupli-color auto paint, which has turned out very nice. Now, I am trying to decide what type of clear-coat to apply to the rod for protection, gloss finish look, and UV protection. In researching the subject online and through this forum, I have seen many different recommendations but no true leading candidate. The options that have had the most recommendations seem to be permagloss, Helmsman Spar Urethane (non-water base, wipe on and spray form), Helmsman Spar Urethane (water base, wipe on and spray form), 2K automotive urethane clear coat (spray form), duplicolor clear coat spray, Krylon fusion clear coat spray. Thanks for the insights.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Clear Coat Finish Reco for Painted Graphite Rod
Posted by: Matthew Pitrowski (---.lightspeed.milwwi.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 07, 2018 05:05PM

any of those choices will work but do a test spot where it won't show if it should not work with the finish you choose but if it were me I would use the dupli color clear coat considering that is the paint you used

The best day to be alive is always tomorrow !!
Think out side the box when all else fails !!!
Wi.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: March 07, 2018 05:41PM

Spray-Max. It's a two-part epoxy spray paint that can be applied much more thinly than common brush on epoxies. It won't undermine the paint on your blank. It has to be used within a couple days after you start using it and you should expect to spend a couple sawbucks on it so you may wish to prep, paint and have ready several rod blanks to spray at the same time. Failing that, then any of the choices you mention will work reasonably well, although they will not provide the same level of long-term durability that Spray-Max will.

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 07, 2018 05:56PM

You really do not need at top coat, however if you want one, I would stay with the Duplicolor. Permagloss may be to "hot" and effect the paint.

Date: March 07, 2018 08:11PM

Thanks, Phil. Without the top coat, will the painted surface withstand knicks/scrapes as well as UV light damage? I assume that the Duplicolor has the UV protection capabilities, as well as enough flex agent to handle the bend of the rod?

Date: March 19, 2018 07:42PM

Thanks, Matthew. How many coats should I use of the Duplicolor?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster