I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Lami surf rod recommended guides
Posted by: Nate Smith (32.208.46.---)
Date: March 07, 2018 08:19AM

Just picked up a lamiglas gsb 108 1l 9' curious what you experienced guys would recommend for guides. New concept with the micro guides or traditional?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Lami surf rod recommended guides
Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: March 07, 2018 09:52AM

I, personally, would never use micro guides with a surf rod, but it is your choice.

Good luck

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 07, 2018 10:52AM

Is it going to be a casting or spinning rod? Will you be using braid or mono? If using Braid I would use a KR concept setup, if using mono I would use the more traditional NGC setup.
Norm

Posted by: Nate Smith (---.sub-174-199-53.myvzw.com)
Date: March 08, 2018 08:26AM

Spinning typically use a penn 5500 with 20 or 30lb braid. What would you recommend using as a stripper guides? Any experience with the RV series? Stick with KW?

Posted by: Jim Ising (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: March 08, 2018 02:08PM

RV is a KR Concept guide. KW is a New Guide Concept guide. Make that determination first and your guide choice will be more obvious. With your braid and reel size you should be OK with a KR build. 25KL-H stripper or RV25 for a double foot. Remember, the RV is only available in three sizes. Depending on your choices the third guide is a special height KW "M" 12 or 10.

Posted by: brian rossi (---.mycingular.net)
Date: March 08, 2018 02:40PM

I've built two of these rods, both with kl-h guides and they light and work great.. Built one for myself that started with a kl-20h. I'm using a 4000 shimano with 20lb braid. Built one for a friend with a kl-25h. He's using a vs150 or penn slammer 4500 with 30lb braid. Like Jim said a rv25 or kl-25h should do the trick. I'd make your choice based on budget and durability expectations. The kl-h are plenty strong for fishing but more likely to be bent transporting.

Date: March 08, 2018 07:57PM

I have not used the RV high frames in a KR build, because I have not built a surf rod since their introduction, and they are expensive. However, based upon their height the RV25H is the same height as the the KL25H (55.9mm), so it should group nicely with the single foot KL12H and the KL6M as reduction guides followed by your runners which could be either KB/KB 6, 5.5, or 5. I do not think I would go smaller than a size 5 runner. Could also use the RV25H, KL12H, KL7M and KL6L followed by your runners The KL6L would be used as the choke guide which might give a smooth transition to the runners. If you wanted all single foot guides, replace the RV25H with a KL25H. If you want all double foot guides you could use the RV25H, RV16H, and KW10M, (or RV20H, KW12, and KW10) for your reduction train followed by either KW or KB/KT runners.
If you want to do a NGC setup up you could use double ft KW guides or single KL guides and there are also a number of different combinations that can be used.
Norm

Date: March 18, 2018 07:52AM

Sorry was out of the country. Thank you all for all your help and support very much appreciated. I am a novice builder so parden me.

Definitely want to do double foot so should I use a RV20H as 1st guide (I don't see a kw-h, something comparable to the 55.9mm Norman mentioned) and the follow with kw12 kw10 reduction? Recommend single foot runners (KL and KB) over using KW?

Date: March 18, 2018 12:46PM

If you want to save money, you can certainly use the dbl ft KW guides in a NGC layout. You can get these KW guides in the new corrosion control frames in either the gray (BC) or silver (CC). Could try the KW30L, KW20, KW12, to the runners of your choice. This layout is similar in height to the RV20 layout given above. If you want a higher framed stripper could use the regular KW30, KW25, and KW16 to your runners. The corrosion control guides are much less expensive than the titanium frames.
Norm

Posted by: Nate Smith (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: March 20, 2018 03:58PM

Great sounds good Norm thank you. Thinking of doing the kw30 kw25 kw16 and kw10s as runners should work good yes??

I noticed the factory gsb 9ft uses double foot guides the entire way assuming they are kw as well in the following order 30 25 20 12 8 8 8. Seemed to me most NGC use 3 reduction guides they use 4?

Posted by: brian rossi (107.77.75.---)
Date: March 20, 2018 05:57PM

Kw30 25 20 12 then 10's or 8's is pretty much the go to layout for longer surf rods that create ligher line speed. They space and bullseye perfectly. Going 30 25 16 10's will probably work well enough though.

I would highly recommend trying out KL25H, KL12H, KL8M and KL7L 7's for runners unless you really don't like the idea of single foot guides. The beauty of the gsb blanks is the moderate action. Keeping the weight down by using smaller guides gives you a much "crisper" feeling rod. In my opinion they can feel a little sloppy with guides that are to large.

Date: March 21, 2018 07:48AM

I've actually got 2 rod blanks building one for myself and one for a friend. He is very against single foot likes the durability of double. I'm open to single so I guess I will build one with KL and the other with KW.

Was looking at the MN top but they don't come in a size 7 ring is going from size 7 runners to an 8 tip going to be an issue?

Also when using single foot guides do you guys like to under wrap or some other technique to add durability?

Posted by: brian rossi (107.77.109.---)
Date: March 21, 2018 11:49AM

Ultimately, build with the guides you're most comfortable with. Since you've got 2 blanks it would be a great time to do some comparison though.

The 8 tip works perfectly, that's what I use.

I don't under wrap any guides. The single foot guides are plenty strong as is. The only way they are weaker is possibly bending from being slammed into a rock, stepped on, etc. I still use single foot runners on longer rods, never had a problem from fishing.

Posted by: Nate Smith (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: March 23, 2018 12:44PM

About to put the order in. Is there an advantage to using the KB/KT as the choke and runners over the size 7 KL?

Posted by: brian rossi (107.77.109.---)
Date: March 23, 2018 03:06PM

You'll want to use KT7's for the running guides. The KL7L will be the last guide in your reduction train.

Should go KL25H, KL12H, KL8M, KL7L, KT7's to the tip.

Date: March 23, 2018 09:54PM

The KL7L will be your choke guide.
Norm

Date: March 23, 2018 09:55PM

Great thank you all so much!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster