I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

replacement support rollers
Posted by: Lee Gilbertson (---.dsl.airstreamcomm.net)
Date: March 06, 2018 08:04PM

I am looking for some support rollers. Similar to the ones in the Flexcoat cork lathe system. Anyone know where I can find some.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: replacement support rollers
Posted by: Lee Gilbertson (---.dsl.airstreamcomm.net)
Date: March 06, 2018 08:42PM

A little more digging and I found them on Mudhole but if anyone has any ideas for other vendors that would be great.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: March 07, 2018 09:59AM

Lee,
You can search hardware sites and sources for rollers.
Patio door rollers and shower door rollers do an excellent job and generally will never wear out.
After getting the rollers, just use hardware sources for an appropriate O ring and put the right O ring on the roller and you will be set for a very long time.

Good luck

[www.google.com]

[www.google.com]

The other thing that you can do, is to purchase inexpensive, but high quality skate board ball bearings. Then, purchase the approrpriate X ring to fit over the flat surface of the roller and you will be set.

[www.google.com]

[www.theoringstore.com]

Posted by: John Cates (---.sub-174-207-10.myvzw.com)
Date: March 07, 2018 10:20AM

Lee

Give us a call and we can put something together for you.

512-858-7742

Flex Coat Company
Professional Rod Building Supplies
www.flexcoat.com

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: March 08, 2018 03:41PM

It would be nice if we could tell in advance whether the black O ring will transfer black to light-colored blanks. it comes off, but sort of a pain that should not have to be tolerated, especially on OEM setups.

Posted by: Bill Sidney (---.gci.net)
Date: March 08, 2018 10:02PM

Michael ?? did it happen to you ?? if so did you clean the rubber an try it again ? if so did it stop ??

William Sidney
AK

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: March 09, 2018 09:08AM

Michael,
If you order and use the silicone O rings, no issue at all with color transfer.
But, I have black O rings on my wrapper as well and have never had any issues with color transfer.

If you are worried about color transfer, just take some clear oil and use that to wipe down the rings, before you install them on your wrapper. If anything is going to come off the rings, it will likely come off at that time.

Good luck

Posted by: Robert Mckee (---.126.140.67.dynamic.ip.windstream.net)
Date: March 11, 2018 05:14PM

I usually wrap some masking tape on the rod where the rollers are. That way you don’t have to clean up as much and there is not a chance of marking the rod.

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: March 13, 2018 08:33AM

Bill, yes I've had it happen a number of times wrapping white blanks. I presume it's there on all colors, just shows on white more. It easily wipes off with a dry paper towel, but I still would rather it didn't happen at all. I did not clean the rollers as I believe it is simply the carbon black which is used in probably all black rubber to strengthen it will keep coming out. It's not "world peace," just an aggravation. Before my next build i'll try cleaning them. Don't think I'll use oil, though.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster