I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Smallest reel seat on the market?
Posted by: Dominic_Donchig (---.sub-174-210-3.myvzw.com)
Date: March 06, 2018 10:13AM

Hello all. I am trying to build myself a micro panfish rod. I found a 20" UL blank and now I'm just trying to get it all together. I know I can buy premade ice rod handles, but I want to checkerboard the cork so I'm looking to save some room on the reel seat. The local shop where I usually buy components doesn't really have what I need so I thought I would ask here where I'm sure some ice rods have been built before. It never snows in socal lol.

So having said that, do any of you know of any tiny reel seats to match this tiny rod?

Also, do you guys think I should use a stripper and snake guides/wire guides or should I use micro guides?

Thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Smallest reel seat on the market?
Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: March 06, 2018 10:21AM

A straight cork grip with a pair of anodized sliding aluminum rings is the lightest reel seat around, not counting adhesive tape.

Posted by: Justin_Benjamin (---.static.ge.com)
Date: March 06, 2018 10:44AM

You should check with Janns Netcraft, they carry some really nice smaller handle kits. Buy the kit and throw the cork away otherwise, you'll have to build up arbors to accomplish a good fit to the 16mm seats.

If you're looking for light, I just use castrating bands from a local farm supply store and slide them up onto a solid cork handle.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: March 06, 2018 01:21PM

Keep in mind that your hand is the same size regardless of the rod size. There is a lot to be said for sizing the reel seat to your hand, not the rod.

Posted by: Jay Dubay (---.clv.wideopenwest.com)
Date: March 06, 2018 05:57PM

Hidden Boot Comfort Seat Design, Make it the length you want, [www.youtube.com]

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: March 06, 2018 06:04PM

Tom makes a lot of sense, use a Fuji 18, or 20 mm DNPS reel seat mounted threads forward and it's going to be comfortable and long enough that you don't need any cork grips, just something to plug the ends.

Posted by: Justin_Benjamin (---.rn.hr.cox.net)
Date: March 06, 2018 09:23PM

I forgot to comment on your guide selection.

This will depend greatly on your reel type. Are you looking for a spinning or casting? If you are going spinning, I prefer the Pac Bay Minima M as they are a good light weight guide, can handle abuse well, and do not take away from the action of the blank. Personally I do not like the fly guides as I seem to have issues with the reduction on a rod that length. When you get a fish on, the smaller fly guides seem to give a lot of "uneven/chunking" in the retrieve.

These are just my thoughts anyways, good luck with the build.

Tom, I understand where you're coming from and I have to remember that this will not be used in the COLD weather, it's hard to forget the cold weather when thinking small panfish rods. One thing I have been doing lately with all my rods, musky casting thru small panfish rods is going to a 1.5" diameter cork handle. I use decoy cork, high density compressed cork, that I can get TONS of rods out for low cost, but these are all personal rods so I'm not worried about how pretty they are.

Posted by: Geoff Staples (---.wavecable.com)
Date: March 19, 2018 02:03PM

You might try a pipe seat such as the Forecast BPSTGV216. It's a size 16 seat but feels smaller due to the absence of a fixed front hood. It's a classic seat that's been around quite a while. Ours comes with a soft texture finish that's nice in cold weather.

The Batson Team
www.batsonenterprises.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster