I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Threadmaster 5 minute epoxy shelf life
Posted by: Daren Molina (98.200.8.---)
Date: March 05, 2018 05:34PM

I have some threadmaster ultimate 5 minute epoxy I've used for tip tops before but it's a few years old. What's the shelf life on that kind of stuff?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Threadmaster 5 minute epoxy shelf life
Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: March 05, 2018 06:23PM

After your dead. Really, no shelf life.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: March 06, 2018 10:24AM

I predict it will stay on the shelf until you have to replace or re-align a tip-top you glued on with ultimate 5-minute epoxy. Then it will go in the garbage.

Posted by: Daren Molina (205.159.249.---)
Date: March 06, 2018 12:50PM

Phil Ewanicki Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I predict it will stay on the shelf until you have
> to replace or re-align a tip-top you glued on with
> ultimate 5-minute epoxy. Then it will go in the
> garbage.

Why is that? What's better to use for tip top gluing? Might be a basic question but I'm just a hobby builder and still learning.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: March 06, 2018 04:34PM

You won't be able To re-align or replace a tip-top secured with epoxy without ruining and cutting off 3/4" - 1" off the tip of the blank. There are any number of hot-melt glues on the market which hold a tip-top securely but release with GENTLE heat, allowing you re-position, remove, or replace a tip top without shortening your rod blank. Time-tested stick shellac works as well or better than any other hot-melt adhesives.

Posted by: Robert A. Guist (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: March 06, 2018 05:10PM

Hello Daren.

I believe Phil was pushing your foot or pulling your leg LOL.

Once you use ultimate 5-minute epoxy on your tip you will NEVER get it off without cutting it off.

Use the glue.

Tight Wraps & Tighter Lines.

Bob,

New Bern, NC.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 06, 2018 06:37PM

I never use epoxy to glue a tip top in place, not worth the problems that can occur. I use hot melt tip top adhesive, makes it easy to install and remove tiptops without any problems.

Posted by: Daren Molina (205.159.249.---)
Date: March 06, 2018 06:44PM

I'll pick some of the glue up then and try it out. I'd just been using the 5 minute rod dancer epoxy for them since that's what came in the rod dancer rod building kits I started out using. Never thought about having to replace tip tops but that makes sense.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: March 07, 2018 10:17AM

Daren,
Fro most general purpose fresh water rods hot melt glue is just fine.

But, for big fish rods, like Musky rods, and blue water rods, you are much better off to use epoxy to attach the tip.

By the way, it is easy to remove a tip that has been attached with epoxy. This tip was posted on the forum a long time ago, but I will repeat it.

Obtain a package of #64 rubber bands. Put a nail or a hook somewhere to which you can attach the rubber band. It could be on the wall, in the floor in a vise, or anywhere else that it is convenient. Then, have a source of heat, like a butane torch or alcohol burner to heat the tip and epoxy as necessary.

Loop the band through the tip that you want to remove. Loop the other end of the band to the hook or nail that is securely attached at your desired location. Have your source of localized heat turned on hand and available.

Then, - it works better if there is someone helping - pull back on the rod, until the rubber band is stretched to its full extension. Then, apply heat to the tip, as you rotate the tip a bit. Just as soon as the adhesive has softened enough from the heat of the burner, the tip will fly off and you will have a clean undamaged tip, as long as you are keeping the heat only on the tip top while heating.

The idea of the band is to put enough tension on the tip top, so that just as soon as the adhesive is soft enough, the tip can slip the bonds of the adhesive and slip out of its grasp holding it o the tip of the blank, without damaging the tip of the rod blank itself.

Good luck

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: March 07, 2018 10:17AM

Daren,
Fro most general purpose fresh water rods hot melt glue is just fine.

But, for big fish rods, like Musky rods, and blue water rods, you are much better off to use epoxy to attach the tip.

By the way, it is easy to remove a tip that has been attached with epoxy. This tip was posted on the forum a long time ago, but I will repeat it.

Obtain a package of #64 rubber bands. Put a nail or a hook somewhere to which you can attach the rubber band. It could be on the wall, in the floor in a vise, or anywhere else that it is convenient. Then, have a source of heat, like a butane torch or alcohol burner to heat the tip and epoxy as necessary.

Loop the band through the tip that you want to remove. Loop the other end of the band to the hook or nail that is securely attached at your desired location. Have your source of localized heat turned on hand and available.

Then, - it works better if there is someone helping - pull back on the rod, until the rubber band is stretched to its full extension. Then, apply heat to the tip, as you rotate the tip a bit. Just as soon as the adhesive has softened enough from the heat of the burner, the tip will fly off and you will have a clean undamaged tip, as long as you are keeping the heat only on the tip top while heating.

The idea of the band is to put enough tension on the tip top, so that just as soon as the adhesive is soft enough, the tip can slip the bonds of the adhesive and slip out of its grasp holding it o the tip of the blank, without damaging the tip of the rod blank itself.

Good luck

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster