I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Another microwave guide set up question
Posted by: Daren Molina (---.hsd1.tx.comcast.net)
Date: March 03, 2018 10:08PM

Howdy all, amateur rod builder here. I've mostly done fly rods but am building some spinning rods for friends and got a few microwave nanolite guide sets. The blanks are 7ft and my question is that with the grips I made the first running guide ends up really close to the end of the make part of the first ferrule. I measured from the lip of the spool of the reel. Is it better to maybe that first running guide closer to the butt end by an inch or move it up a few inches and wrap it into the ferrule wrap? I just read that the first 3 guide measurements are the most important for microwave guides. When the ferrules are together the 3rd guide (first running guide) ends up about a little more than 3/4 inch from the bottom of the female ferrule. I've just never put a guide that close to the male end of a ferrule joint before which is why I'm wondering if I can incorporate it into the ferrule wrap. But moving it up to the ferrule would make that 3rd guide 41 7/8inch rather than 39 7/8. Then I'm assuming I'd move the second running guide up an inch or so too. Not sure on that.

Other measurements that might be important are as follows. With the grip I built, it's 14.5 inches from end of fighting butt to top of reel seat and 15 inches to the top lip of the reel spool when it's in place and all the way up.

Any advice would be great.

Re: Another microwave guide set up question
Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: March 03, 2018 11:07PM

Daren,
Remember you don't have to make that decision right now, you can tape on your guides in both locations and see what you think. You can also test cast both configurations. I imagine if you position the first guide where you need it and than position the third guide where you need it, but as close to the recommendations as you can, then position the second guide by looking through those guides, making a bulleye picture out of the guides as you look down through them, you'll have few if any problems either way.

Posted by: Don @ American Tackle (---.biz.bhn.net)
Date: March 05, 2018 10:11AM

Good morning Daren, I just sent you an email

The stripper guide is the most critical but that being said, the MicroWave system measurement can be altered slightly to fit the blank you are working on .

800-516-1750 ext. 1207 / don@americantackle.us

Rod Building..... It's What We Do.

Posted by: Daren Molina (205.159.249.---)
Date: March 05, 2018 11:51AM

Great! Thanks. I'll probably move it up to the ferrule and adjust the running guide spacing. I'm Excited to try these out.

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.97.252.156.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: March 05, 2018 04:56PM

I would move the 1st 3 from the reel as a group.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster