I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

microwave guide setup.
Posted by: scott south (---.static.bresnan.net)
Date: March 01, 2018 10:43PM

First time poster here..I'm building a nfc jig rod and need some help setting up my microwave guides.The rod I am building a 5 foot 9 inch rod,I remember seeing a post on this forum indicating the setup for a 6 foot rod .Just wondering if the would be same for both rods?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: microwave guide setup.
Posted by: Lou Auret (204.16.161.---)
Date: March 02, 2018 07:53AM

Do setup from face of reel going towards tip
Those first three guides are critical for easy casting with a microwave setup.
Then working froward I would use the same setup as for 6 ft but drop the last guide near tip as that is at around 3 inches from tip so would not be required.
Of course this assumes your butt section/reel seat location is as long as the 6ft you are trying to copy.
tape it up and test cast.
Each blank is different so you always need to do that.

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: March 02, 2018 08:58AM

The first three guides go right where the little paper that comes with the guides says they go, then place the others where it makes sense using a stress test to place them. You probably will have at least one, maybe two running guides left over since the rod is so short. Test cast, but you most likely will have to move nothing.

Read the "static guide placement" article in the library, but place the first three guides where American Tackle instructions (the little paper) say.

Posted by: Robert A. Guist (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: March 02, 2018 10:17AM

Hello Scott.

I do it the same as Michael.

Tight Wraps & Tighter Lines.

Bob,

New Bern, NC.

Posted by: David Miller (---.pools.spcsdns.net)
Date: March 02, 2018 12:26PM

Agree with all said, one thing to add, check out nfc website guide spacing chart for your blank to get the spacing close to ideal for the running guides.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/02/2018 02:55PM by David Miller.

Posted by: Don @ American Tackle (---.biz.bhn.net)
Date: March 02, 2018 01:59PM

I was going to jump in but these guys took great care of you... if you have any questions about MicroWave or anything AT, please do not hesitate to give me a call.

800-516-1750 ext. 1207 / don@americantackle.us

Rod Building..... It's What We Do.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: March 02, 2018 05:59PM

Is the difference between spacing guides dependent upon their inside diameter, outside diameter, flexibility, height above the blank, guide ring material, or advertising? Does the blank being used, the type of line being used , its diameter or flexibility, or the ambient temperature where the guides/rod are used influence guide spacing? It seems pretty complicated!

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: March 02, 2018 07:16PM

yes.

Posted by: ben belote (---.zoominternet.net)
Date: March 02, 2018 07:59PM

but Phil, can,t you see that,s why you need a professional rod maker to guide you through all these complications..lol.

Posted by: scott south (---.static.bresnan.net)
Date: March 02, 2018 10:18PM

Thank you to all who answered my question,I'll start wrapping this rod this weekend,thanks again.
Fish-on!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster