I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Fixing gap between real seat and cork handle
Posted by: Taylor Nielson (---.51.19.98.dynamic.ip.windstream.net)
Date: February 12, 2018 12:08AM

Hi everyone. Working on my first build here and I made a little bit of a mistake. Because I was getting dangerously close to relieving too much cork from the handle, I left it a little too tight to the real seat. Once I added epoxy to the equation it left a small gap. Any tips on how this can be fixed? Or at least covered up? It's not glaring but it's just shoddy enough craftsmanship it's going to bother me.

Pics: [imgur.com]

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Fixing gap between real seat and cork handle
Posted by: Jerry Driggers (---.ec.res.rr.com)
Date: February 12, 2018 02:04AM

You could alway tint or mix up some cork dust in a little rod bond epoxy and put it in the gap.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/12/2018 02:11AM by Jerry Driggers.

Posted by: Jay Dubay (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: February 12, 2018 05:20AM

+1 on Above, Or use to same color thread as your guide wraps and fill it to make a trim band and Finnish with epoxy

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: February 12, 2018 07:23AM

The cork dust will have to be very fine, and the color right. I think the latter suggestion using thread will make it look just fine. Good looking grip. What is the finish on it?

Posted by: Chuck McIntyre (---.hsd1.co.comcast.net)
Date: February 12, 2018 01:24PM

It can't hurt a build if you do a dry fit of handle components in future builds. If the fit is off,put the offending piece on a mandrel,chuck it in a lathe,and then correct it. It is always a good idea to make sure that grip ends are always squared up to begin with.

Posted by: Dan Ertz (---.dsl.airstreamcomm.net)
Date: February 12, 2018 01:30PM

I agree either cork dust or thread to fill the gap. Cork dust mixed with the same finish used for the grip may be the easiest - either a matching or a contrasting color. If you go with thread the gap will have to be cleaned out so that it is equal width and depth for the thread to lay evenly..

Posted by: Robert A. Guist (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: February 12, 2018 02:11PM

Hello Taylor.

What about metallic thread?

Just fill up with the thread then take a toothpick and epoxy over the thread, that will give you an accented look.

Tight Wraps & Tighter Lines.

Bob,

New Bern, NC.

Date: February 12, 2018 03:46PM

All spectacular ideas! One thing that I forgot to mention is that the gap is not even all the way around, it actually presses tight to the real seat on the other side. Dan mentioned evening out the gap to fill it with thread. Does anybody know of a way I could go about that without chunking up the cork? I'm using a metallic copper thread for accents on the guide wraps, so I do like the idea of using that. Otherwise the cork filler is probably the better option I suppose.

There is no finish on the cork, it came shrink wrapped and I've opted to keep it on to protect the cork until the build is finished. Is it at all common to somehow finish the cork with some kind of epoxy? I do like the shine, though it was my understanding that the cork needs to "breath" so it doesn't rot and swell if water gets in.

Posted by: Bill Sidney (---.gci.net)
Date: February 13, 2018 12:38AM

use a fine tooth saw blade an make it even all the way around, then fill , be carfull not to cut blank,

William Sidney
AK

Date: February 13, 2018 01:33PM

A saw blade it is then. Thanks for the advice, I'll give it a shot!

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: February 13, 2018 10:52PM

Cork is a closed cell material, thus it does not absorb fluids and swell and does not have to "breath!" Many builders apply a list of different coatings, others prefer the natural fell of uncoated cork........your choice.

Posted by: Drew Pollock (162.119.232.---)
Date: February 13, 2018 10:54PM

If it's your first rod, no one expects it to be perfect. Just put some epoxy in the void and forget about it. No one is likely to ever notice. And it won't effect the rod at all. The next one you make will be better and the next one after that. I made my first rod about 7 years ago and it isn't perfect. But I still fish with it every year. Caught many salmon on it last fall and it isn't perfect. But it's still ok, and yours is too. Use it as intended.

In fact, from your picture, it's fine as is. Just use and enjoy. These are fishing rods, not holy sepulchres. You'll make better rods as you go. Don't sweat it. When you're working on a rod it's easy to obsess about the details. But catch one fish and you realize it's just fine. Catch 100 fish and you realize it's great. As is.

My advice, spend no additional effort on fixing this minor flaw, and instead, order the parts for another rod and build that.

Drew

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/13/2018 10:56PM by Drew Pollock.

Posted by: Paul Wood (---.columbus.res.rr.com)
Date: February 15, 2018 09:04PM

X10 to Drew's comment. I'm on my 17th build, and each one gets better! While I can find imperfections, no one else is likely to notice. Put those efforts into the next build!

Posted by: Bill Sidney (---.gci.net)
Date: February 17, 2018 01:40AM

I would fix it to the best I could bar none , when it is finished it should be the best you can do , not half BAKED , do a good job that you could be proud of , an happy with ,

William Sidney
AK

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: February 17, 2018 09:04AM

Regarding finish on cork, I have used wrap epoxy (on small ramps off the front and rear of spin seats), Tru Oil gunstock finish, and cork sealer (U40, I think), and all work fine. Epoxy will go amber with time, so I use it mostly on darker burl cork mixes. If you like the feel and look of the bare cork, the cork sealer will not change the color of the cork, will not give a shiny finish, will not affect the feel, and it will keep the cork looking good much longer. Also makes cleaning it easier. If I don't use some other finish, I always use the sealer.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster