I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Ultimate Okeechobee crappie jigging rod
Posted by: john baldwin (---.lightspeed.cntmoh.sbcglobal.net)
Date: February 09, 2018 09:34AM

Anyone have a recommendation for a blank that would make the perfect jig pole for getting Okeechobee crappies out of the thick stuff but still have a sensitive soft tip. Ten ft. preferred. What I'm using now is plenty sensitive, but bends so much that I can't lift large crappies into the boat. Thanks in advance.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Ultimate Okeechobee crappie jigging rod
Posted by: James Taylor (---.wavecable.com)
Date: February 09, 2018 11:21AM

From RainShadow we’d recommend the RX7 IST1203 – It’s a salmon graphite blank, it’ll give you the power to lift up from the weeds and is 10ft.
[www.rainshadowrodblanks.com]

You can also go with the 1204 but that might be a bit too much power.

James Taylor
Batson Enterprises
BatsonEnterprises.com | RainShadowRodBlanks.com | ALPSForeCast.com | Build2Fish.com

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: February 09, 2018 12:32PM

I have been using 10’ 2 piece moderate fast RX7 6wgt fly rods (RX7 IF1006-2) for my crappie jig rods. For the way I fish they are perfect, and we catch a number of crappie over 3 pounds every year. I have built a bunch of these as jig rods for a number of crappie fishermen without any complaints. However, these particular blanks have been discontinued, but have been replaced by the Revelation series. if you want something with a little more backbone a 7 or 8 wgt would give you more lifting power. I have two each of the RX7 10’ 7 and 8 wgts left from the batch I bought several years ago when they went on a close out sale. If you need any let me know.
Norm

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: February 09, 2018 02:16PM

John,
The perfect rod to use for this purpose is an appropriate Salmon rod. You can get one with a nice tip, but plenty of backbone to haul them out of the brush.

Another rod that you can look at to get some ideas is the

"tight line" rod that is sold by Bass Pro. [www.basspro.com]

It is a medium heavy rod with a lighter tip and works very well to be able to carry a heavy weigh t to bash down through the brush, but still have the backbone and ability to lift the fish out of the brush.

These are casting rods and work well to just let line off the end of the rod pulling the weight and light jig down with it - without doing any casting.

Posted by: Terry Kirk (---.ks.ks.cox.net)
Date: February 09, 2018 02:22PM

The RX7 1203 is a very nice blank, I have some of them and they will handle Crappie in trees and thinner brushpiles, the 1204 is perfect for heavy brush and slop. Get you one of each and you are prepared for any thing. When fishing tournaments for Crappie the 1204 is my go to weapon.

Posted by: john baldwin (---.lightspeed.cntmoh.sbcglobal.net)
Date: February 11, 2018 08:29PM

Thanks everyone. I now have something to go on and will do a little more research as I have until next winter before I'm back to Okeechobee for several weeks.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster