I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Wood Handles
Posted by: Brody Haakenson (74.214.223.---)
Date: February 08, 2018 04:23PM

I have a brother who is wanting to make a couple wood handles in a shop class. I have no experience with wood handles.

First question is what is a good type of wood to use for handles?

Second is what is the proper way to finish the handle to seal it completely?

Third question should i have him bore a hole to the largest diameter of the blank that each handle will mount too and use tape arbors to make it a tight fit as the blank tapers?

any and all input is appreciated

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Wood Handles
Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: February 08, 2018 05:19PM

You can use nearly any wood that you like. But, remember, the harder the wood, typically the heavier is the wood. So, soft woods can make excellent handles and they finish nicely.
A very simple finish is to use a couple of coats of epoxy thread finish with a light sanding between coats.
Other folks will use spar varnish, tru coat, or some other finish.

The idea of boring a hole to the largest diameter of the blank is a good one which will make is easier to mount on the blank.

Another idea that works very well is to take a foam arbor that is perhaps 1/4 inch smaller than the wood handle. Then bore out the inside of the wood handle to match the OD of the foam arbor. Then, ream out the foam arbor for a perfect fit to the blank. Then, glue up the foam arbor into the wood handle and onto the blank at the same time. This give a nice uniform fit with a much lighter grip due to most of it being foam.

Good luck

Posted by: Robert A. Guist (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: February 08, 2018 06:12PM

Hello Brody.

May I ask, is this handle going to be on a surf rod?
Will it be drilled through or will it have a male ferrule?
Will it be a fore grip or an aft or butt grip?
Is this rod to be used in a rod holder? And if so what type of rod holder?

I can go on but this should get you thinking.

Hope it helps.

Tight Wraps & Tighter Lines.

Bob,

New Bern, NC.

Posted by: Tom Wewerka (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: February 08, 2018 06:22PM

Brody my friend has only one functioning arm. He puts his rods in a stainless ring attached to his belt so he needs a fairly substantial grip. For years we have been making them out of cedar. The one thing about cedar is when it is turned down and reamed out it is not much heavier than cork so the rod stays balanced. Although soft it holds up very well. We finish all of them with Flex Coat high build and they look good for years. Your brother will have fun making it and the grip will be quite functional and good looking.

He drills the hole out close on the lathe then we ream it to fit.

Good luck and post photos when your finished.

Tom

Posted by: Drew Longnecker (---.cust.exede.net)
Date: February 09, 2018 07:13AM

I also have built many handles from Western Red Cedar. They are very light and holdup well. For finish I've used Thread finish, Poly and true oil. The only problem I've had is with poly. Found I needed to refinish every year because of chipping and moisture getting under the finish. Used many other woods for handles that were great looking but heavy.

Posted by: Mike Tuma (172.58.84.---)
Date: February 09, 2018 09:36AM

I was thinking about doing this and like the idea of using foam in the center to help keep the weight down.  How well does the foam core, wood shell transfer vibrations?

Posted by: Brody Haakenson (74.214.223.---)
Date: February 09, 2018 10:19AM

Planning on putting it on a 6 to 7 foot medium light extra fast blank for walleye jigging.
I plan on giving him the finished rod when he graduates high school this spring.

I never thought about using foam arbors on the inside. I will look into that idea before he starts the process.

I was thinking about having him make it in a split grip configuration to help keep weight down.

If the handle is sanded smooth would a few coats of perma-gloss be a good option as a finish

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: February 09, 2018 02:18PM

Brody,
It is so simple to use 2 coats of flex coat thread finish that it is tough to beat the convenience and long lasting results of the finish.

Take care

Posted by: Robert A. Guist (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: February 09, 2018 03:29PM

Hello Brody.

6-7', jigging and no rod holders.

I would go with Cored Cedar Grips with 1-2 coats Thread Finish.
With coring you drill a hole through the grip as close to the size of your arbor material as you can and build the grip on a mandrel, once built ream to fit.
The instructions can be found Volume 14 Issue 6 Page 16 of RodMaker Magazine ("Grip Coring Great Looks-Less Weight" By Tom Kirkman.

The Thread Finish is a little heaver than the PG but gives a better feel (it's softer, so easier on your hands).

You can go to the RodMaker site and order a back-issue if you don't have one.

Tight Wraps & Tighter Lines.

Bob,

New Bern, NC.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: February 09, 2018 06:14PM

Permagloss makes a very tough finish that will never be affected by sun, or water. Soak a sponge brush in finish and apply while it's still on the mandrel spinning. One side to the other about 1 inch a second seems to work well on wood, or graphite grips.

Posted by: Chris Herrera (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: February 09, 2018 06:27PM

Brody,

Permagloss works fantastic for this type of application! It will slightly darken the wood, allowing the grain to show better. It won't be a high gloss finish, but it holds up well.

Take care,

Chris

Posted by: Bert Nagy (---.dhcp.gsvl.ga.charter.com)
Date: February 11, 2018 04:43PM

I have recently built several fly rods with wood handles - Bradford pear, and birds eye maple are my go to woods..
I am woodturner, also, and after trying to finish a number of bowls, my preferred finish is BirchWood Casey Tru - Oil. it takes about 6 coat, but you get a nice gloss finish, and since it is a build up finish, you can rejuvenate it, by just putting on alight coat.

Date: February 11, 2018 04:44PM

I have recently built several fly rods with wood handles - Bradford pear, and birds eye maple are my go to woods..
I am woodturner, also, and after trying to finish a number of bowls, my preferred finish is BirchWood Casey Tru - Oil. it takes about 6 coat, but you get a nice gloss finish, and since it is a build up finish, you can rejuvenate it, by just putting on alight coat.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster