I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Recommendation for a Short Casting-Rod Blank
Posted by: Tim Krause (---.pool.cnw.net)
Date: February 07, 2018 10:36PM

Does anyone know of a short casting-rod blank, in the 5- to 5½ –foot range, for bass fishing?

I will be making short- to medium-length casts around docks and other shoreline cover, in small natural lakes, using both topwater/crankbait lures and plastic worms. Also, I will be mostly casting overhead while sitting in a canoe/kayak, rather than standing in a boat.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Recommendation for a Short Casting-Rod Blank
Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: February 07, 2018 11:32PM

Tim,
You can take any rod blank with the right tip action and chop length from the butt of the rod blank to get your desired rod.

For example, if you start with a 6 foot blank, you don't need to chop much to get the length that you wish.

Take a look at the MHX "shooter blanks" from Mud hole:

[www.mudhole.com]

These blanks sound like the sort of blank that you are looking for. You might find that a 6 foot blank would work perfectly for you.

Good luck

Posted by: Laurent Keiff (37.168.200.---)
Date: February 08, 2018 06:22AM

Check out Loomis' NFC blanks.
Series C or SJ.
Some of the very best around.

Prostaff Rodhouse
[www.rodhouse.fr]

Posted by: Thomas Kaufmann (107.77.111.---)
Date: February 08, 2018 09:32AM

St. Croix 2c56 mf, Northfork, and mhx shooter ( will have to chop)

Posted by: jim spooner (---.direcpc.com)
Date: February 08, 2018 11:47AM

Since “short” rods are no longer popular, very few blanks are available shorter than 6 1/2 feet. All my personal builds are under 6’, so I have no option but to trim. Other than having to pay for unusable “footage”, there’s not much downside. In fact an advantage is having the option of “tuning” the Power/Action by trimming from the tip or butt end of a longer blank to achieve the desired performance. Keep in mind that since trimming “slows” the action, you can start with a faster or extra fast blank, which’ll keep you in the “fast” range (if that’s your preference). You’ll also want a slightly higher powered blank to compensate for the Power loss by trimming. You can pick up a bit of power by tip trimming.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: February 08, 2018 06:23PM

I have maybe 2 5 1/2 ft. med power, 10 to 20 lb. Certified Pro blanks left. About 10 years ago there was a mini resurgence of short rods here in the Pac. NW. Lamiglas built an order for our club. You can have one.

Posted by: Steve Monroe (---.kya.res.rr.com)
Date: February 08, 2018 09:08PM

Get Bit has some old castaway blanks that may work for you. They are 6'2" but the price is right. You could cut them down if you really want it shorter. SB623 M/B and SB623 G/B

Posted by: Terry Kirk (---.ks.ks.cox.net)
Date: February 08, 2018 10:56PM

Get yourself a St Croix 3S59MXF No cutting and arguably one of the best blanks out there for value.

Posted by: Tim Krause (---.pool.cnw.net)
Date: February 09, 2018 12:22AM

Thanks everyone. Trimming a rod would open up more possibilities. Looks like I could get an off-the-shelf blank from St Croix or Northfork.

Spencer- where is that Lamiglas blank located? I am in Seattle.

Tim

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (172.58.41.---)
Date: February 09, 2018 02:57PM

Milwaukie, OR. Near Portand.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/09/2018 02:59PM by Spencer Phipps.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster