I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

GSB 156 2mh
Posted by: Milt Clapp (---.dhcp.mant.nc.charter.com)
Date: February 04, 2018 10:54AM

Ran into something I had never seen before down here on Hatteras Island, An older gentleman has two unbuilt and one built GSB 156 2mh blanks. He let me throw the one that was built the other day and it was a fantastic experience. I use the Daiwa 3 piece reds and greens but this thing makes them look like a cheap ugly stick in distance and backbone. The question is this what are they worth and where did they come from??? I talked to a gentleman at Mud and he said they were before his time but he had heard of them and only saw one. He stated that folks talk about them like they were legends. He said he saw one in 2013 and it was sold to another guy for $800 for the unbuilt blank. What are they really worth and why are they so hard to get ( if they really are) ???

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: GSB 156 2mh
Posted by: Matthew Pitrowski (---.lightspeed.milwwi.sbcglobal.net)
Date: February 04, 2018 12:57PM

it is a discontinued Lama glass blank lure 5-8 ounces this is the a replacement for that blank I believe
GLB 108 1M - 9' 1-Piece – Lamiglas

[www.lamiglas.com]

The best day to be alive is always tomorrow !!
Think out side the box when all else fails !!!
Wi.

Date: February 04, 2018 03:16PM

Did some more research and your right about it being discontinued. Come to find out it was never offered through Lami in their catalog. They were limited edition surf blanks with a woven but, 70/30 split and ultra lightweight. The blanks were 13' and would handle 8 to 16 oz's and bait. Supposedly only 100 were ever made and within the 100 there was a second batch with a stronger butt section made. The 9' you spoke of is in no way a replacement for the gsb 1562mh. They were never made again.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: February 04, 2018 07:04PM

Lamiglas made a 13 1/2 ft. 1 piece, and 12 1/2 ft. 2 piece GSB in that power.

Date: February 05, 2018 02:12PM

They still make a 13.6" rod in a one piece and it is in their current inventory. The 12' 6" rod ceased to exist mainly because the casting weight was a joke. I was great if you were throwing 4oz and small bait but anything above it was a disaster. (quiet a few went POW). But all this is a mute point. It seems someone else on the island knew about the rods. When I went over yesterday evening he was tubing them for shipment to Virginia and had a check for $2700.00 in hand. No great big deal. I wouldn't have paid that from them anyway!!! Well maybe someday I'll find a single!

Date: February 05, 2018 02:22PM

if you have to have a rod that long there are many options out there with better tech than what those were made with did you look at these blanks from these guys they make some super good blanks and if it is out of stock contact them and have them let you know when they are back in stock

[rodgeeks.com].

working with limited information from you just trying to give you a starting point to look for something that would work for you

Wi.

Date: February 05, 2018 07:51PM

Have two of the Rod Geeks blanks already as well as the 13' Daiwa 3pc. The rod geeks blanks are great as are the Daiwa 3pc to too a lesser extent. Both are actually good rods when not used past their parameters. Sadly the fishing here on Hatteras when using 8 to 12 oz and 3 to 5 of bait at 300 to 400 ft out in crazy rough surf doesn't fall within their limits. We won't even mention the 45" up 50lb drum in that waste deep water surrounded by 20 t0 thirty other guy's with fish on. A lot of the guys down here use to use Hatteras Heavers but the blanks to build these rods have been gone a long while. I've seen more than I can remember of the red and green Daiwa 3 pc's break mid way down top or second section. The rod geek rods are great blanks and have possibilities. I thought they were the answer to our prayers but one of the young bucks this fall with 12 and bait shattered one. The century's and TF's along with the Vegas are really good rods but have limits and issues of their own. Thinking about a Ron Arra 11 SP old style (heavy) with a one or two foot turned carbon/graphite but extension.

Date: February 05, 2018 09:27PM

then you might have to get creative and build your rod blank using 2 blanks a piece to make the butt and another blank to make the rest of the rod. that is what I would do if I couldn't find what I need or want I would create it.
If you want send me a mail and I will send you my phone and we can discuss that possibility if you wish

Wi.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: February 05, 2018 09:40PM

I am far from being an expert on heavy duty surf rod blanks, but have you looked at Carolina Cast Pros, they do sell 13’ surf rod blanks and they are one of the exhibitors at the Expo. [www.carolinacastpro.com]
Norm

Date: February 06, 2018 10:37AM

The CCP blanks are great rods and the only one's that come close to the old Hatteras Heaver style rod while incorporating the newer rod materials and improved construction. Have one of them on the way and will build and test it. Really, really hope it works out. Thanks guys!

Posted by: herb canter (70.40.66.---)
Date: February 06, 2018 04:05PM

Milt Clapp Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Have two of the Rod Geeks blanks already as well
> as the 13' Daiwa 3pc. The rod geeks blanks are
> great as are the Daiwa 3pc to too a lesser extent.
> Both are actually good rods when not used past
> their parameters. Sadly the fishing here on
> Hatteras when using 8 to 12 oz and 3 to 5 of bait
> at 300 to 400 ft out in crazy rough surf doesn't
> fall within their limits. We won't even mention
> the 45" up 50lb drum in that waste deep water
> surrounded by 20 t0 thirty other guy's with fish
> on. A lot of the guys down here use to use
> Hatteras Heavers but the blanks to build these
> rods have been gone a long while. I've seen more
> than I can remember of the red and green Daiwa 3
> pc's break mid way down top or second section. The
> rod geek rods are great blanks and have
> possibilities. I thought they were the answer to
> our prayers but one of the young bucks this fall
> with 12 and bait shattered one. The century's and
> TF's along with the Vegas are really good rods but
> have limits and issues of their own. Thinking
> about a Ron Arra 11 SP old style (heavy) with a
> one or two foot turned carbon/graphite but
> extension.

I thought they were the answer to our prayers but one of the young bucks this fall with 12 and bait shattered one.

The fact that a rod failed is the reason you rule it out ? I would say more Lami Arra's have failed over the years than any other rod out there but people still regularly use them . Rods will not fail especially within their ratings if used and treated properly . I wouldn't give up on any rod because a failure , there's usually a very good explanation why it failed.

Date: February 09, 2018 01:48PM

Agree and disagree. The main trouble I see with a lot of the rods and blanks on the market is that the top end rating is inflated. Some more so than others. These folks all though are building rods for the " AVERAGE " fisherman to cast. They throw in that high top oz number to look good! Given that 90% of all fishermen will never load a rod to it's max and given that when a manufacturer say's his blank is rated at 12 oz it is only rated in reality at 8 to 10 oz because sometimes catching fish requires bait. When you combine both of those factors and you are in the 10% that really loads a rod for casting distance to reach 300 to 600 ft then in reality we are taking most blanks outside their limits and is probably the reason for the high rate of breakage here on Hatters Island. Don't really know the solution to the problem but we still keep digging!

Posted by: Gary Michael (207.144.7.---)
Date: February 10, 2018 08:41PM

Have you looked at the Akios rods/blanks handled by Joe Moore at Onemorecast of Avon<NC

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster