I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

"T-wing" equipped level-wind reels, + or -
Posted by: Mark Talmo (---.lightspeed.irvnca.sbcglobal.net)
Date: February 04, 2018 02:05AM

While initially not seeming to be rod building related, I would appreciate your feedback and comments regarding Diawa’s “T-wing” feature on several of their level-wind reels. I was impressed and intrigued with the concept when first offered and recently saw additional merits which could have assisted when spiral-wrapping a full-flexing, slow action vintage FG blank where unorthodox guide orientation of the reduction/transition train was required. Reducing angles which the line travels must be a huge benefit.
I suppose if the “T-wing” feature was such a stellar idea, we would see more of them from all the reel manufacturers. But the down-side of the concept eludes me hence me asking for your input and insight. I recently purchased my first level-wind (non-“T-wing) for use with the build described above even though never experiencing difficulty thumb-feeding the spool on the retrieve in the past. I’m just getting old and lazy.

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: "T-wing" equipped level-wind reels, + or -
Posted by: John Keough (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: February 04, 2018 07:52AM

The T-wing just looks like more moving parts to clean and or break. To add 5% distance to a cast makes no difference to me. I have expensive baitcasters and I've had cheaper baitcasters. I worry more about weight, as I will probably be throwing it for hours at a time. If your casting out into open water for say, breaking fish, that 5% may make a difference. I personally wouldn't want the extra moving parts. I am an Abu Garcia fan, though I've tried other baitcasters and they work too. My next baitcaster is going to be based on weight rather than castability. A lightweight, namebrand reel will probably work fine in the casting department. I was casting my freinds Lews the other day and it felt fine. The Lews was a quarter of the cost of my Abu Garcia.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: February 04, 2018 09:24AM

I think the T system helps some for persons needing/wanting to throw lighter presentations, I see no real difference at the higher lure weights on like quality reels. Personally when I'm in that realm, I'm holding a spinning rod, but my angling interests are primarily steelhead/salmon/trout and play at bass fishing when the bites off. All this is driven by bass anglers, don't see near the benefits to my angling presentations. My old Diawa TD103 lefty magnesium reels are all I need at the moment for my UL/ light powered steelhead casting rods.
I'm more interested in the new no bearing/polymer bushing reels and how they are going to perform, hold up, and/or change maintenance.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/04/2018 09:29AM by Spencer Phipps.

Posted by: David Baylor (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: February 04, 2018 11:02AM

While I have never tried one, I can see the benefits as Spencer mentioned, of them when casting lighter baits a bit better. I'd also think it would be beneficial with lower energy casts, like pitching. And while reducing the angle of line between the reel face and the butt guide would be beneficial, I don't know that it would make that big of a difference, at least with a conventionally wrapped rod, simply because of the distance between them. It's not going to change the angle to the degree that it does between the spool, and the reel's line guide. The design definitely has merit in that respect.

I have friends that absolutely love their Daiwa T wing reels, but as a die hard Shimano reel fan, I'll never find out how much better they cast. One things for sure though ..... it's definitely another working part one would have to deal with when doing reel maintenance.

Posted by: larry basilio (---.phlapa.fios.verizon.net)
Date: February 04, 2018 11:15AM

Mark, I just got one , can wait to use it. I am a sucker for all the new stuff that comes out. I will let you know how it works when I get a chance to use it.

Posted by: Gary Kilmartin (---.sub-174-221-135.myvzw.com)
Date: February 04, 2018 12:28PM

I have a whole buch of Daiwa casting reels, about an equal mix of US and JDM reels, so I guess you could call me a Daiwa fan. I have two with the t-wing. I do not see any benefit from the extra moving parts. They don't cast light weights any better. The don't pitch any better. And, as far as extra casting distance goes; you can't prove it by me.

Posted by: ben belote (---.zoominternet.net)
Date: February 04, 2018 02:21PM

diawa seems to be very good at these gimmicks..i got their PT10ZX reel when it first came out many years ago..it featured everything but it,s main attraction was the traverse bars would split apart and slide to the sides leaving a clear path for the line to the first rod guide..no line comming off the spool at a sharp angle..only it didn,t cast as well as my shimano bantams..i think when they do something like this that they use lesser quality parts elsewhere in the reel, like maybe cheaper bearings to meet a price range..that,s just my guess..lol.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: February 04, 2018 07:33PM

I think the Diawa Tatula SV TW I mentioned is every bit as nice any of my Curados, and I've fished a few new Lew's that were as nice also. The Diawa is quite a bit lighter also.

Date: February 05, 2018 03:16AM

Thanks to all for your time, concern and valuable input. Maybe attempting to convince anglers of the merits of the line-angle-reducing benefits of the T-wing theory is similar in attempting to convince West Coast anglers the benefits of spiral-wrapped rods! I have never seen either in use out here in LALA Land. But then, maybe Diawa does not offer the T-wing for light/medium saltwater applications where my question is/was rooted.
For those of continuing interest, please allow me to explain further. I had no problem with the arrangement and spacing of the reduction / transition guides with the other two spiral-wrapped, 20-40lb saltwater rods I have built. However, this full-flexing (as in slooow) vintage FG blank I built for 6-10lb Calico was a different animal. When fully flexed (all the way down to the reel seat!), the angle of the line passing through the stripper in particular and second reduction/transition guide as well was excessive. To compensate/compromise, the stripper ended up being offset from vertical by approximately 35-40*. Obviously, the line angle between the spool and reel guide as well as the reel guide to the stripper suffered noticeably, hence my question of the T-wing equipped reels. The resolve may be as simple as to not employ spiral-wrapped guides to a slow action rod (or vice versa).
}><((((((*< ~J

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Posted by: Rick Jones (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: February 05, 2018 11:02AM

I have several, throw frogs, spinner baits, jerk baits and other light baits. Very seldom backlashes on me even in stiff winds. Most of the rods I use them on are spiral wrapped.

Posted by: Steve Monroe (---.kya.res.rr.com)
Date: February 05, 2018 10:48PM

I have several with a lot of time on them. I can't confirm they do anything better than equally quality reels but I can say I haven't seen anything negative about it. Yes they have more parts and may be a tick heavier but to date none of the parts have failed.

Date: February 06, 2018 02:27AM

Again, I thank all of you for adding your valuable insight and perspectives. Considering the replies, especially regarding weight, limited extended casting distance and more moving parts, it is no wonder why we do not see the T-wing theory featured on more reels, Diawa or even others. I trust, value and habitually utilize information gained from this site and those of you willing to take the time to reply. Thanks!!!

Mark Talmo

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: February 17, 2018 05:55PM

I just tried my first Daiwa casting reel, Tatula SV103 with the T. I've always used Calcuttas, Curados, and Revo SX, and of those liked the Curados best. This Daiwa is a better caster than the others. Not sure the T does it, could be the "air brake," could be something else, but my next reel will be a Daiwa. Their spinners are very good, too.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster