I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Noisy guides/tip top?
Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: February 02, 2018 06:19AM

I just used a new build 8 wt fly rod with REC snake guides and tiptop on bones and noticed at times that there was a "screeching" coming from the rod when highly loaded, both on casts and when fighting fish. I think I've heard of this on the forum before, but don't remember the details. Can anyone give details? I'm hoping it's from the tiptop-I can easily replace that.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Noisy guides/tip top?
Posted by: Donald La Mar (---.lightspeed.lsvlky.sbcglobal.net)
Date: February 02, 2018 08:45AM

The screeching you heard was me reading the weather forecast for another day of single digit temperature and snow while you bone fish in tropical warmth.

Seriously, what line were you using?

Date: February 02, 2018 09:02AM

Rio Bonefish Quickshooter, 8 wt.

I was colder one day there than I've been all winter in MI. 40+ winds, rain almost all day, soaked to the skin, my son is a zealot so we stayed all day in it. :-) The winds blew so hard and so long that on the last day we almost had to walk the boat back to shore, blew the water out, level went down almost 2 feet.

Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: February 02, 2018 09:04AM

The noise is from the snakes.
Unfortunately you have the occasional rod that that happens with.
Only way to stop out is to clean and dress your line our change to single foot REC's.
Herb
Oh - you are using the extra heavy wire - right??

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/02/2018 09:08AM by Herb Ladenheim.

Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.lightspeed.rcsntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: February 02, 2018 10:41AM

Michael,
It's easier noiw on my PC vs the phone.
Yes - REC Recoils sometimes "sing".
Mostly when the rod is being strung-up and the line is dry.
But sometimes it is while fishing. So dry or dirty line will do it. As I said - clean and dress your line and it MAY go away.
It happens less with the single foot Recoins

Herb

Michael,
But sometimes it is while fishing. So dry or dirty line will do it. As I said - clean and dress your line and it MAY go away.

Herb

Michael,

Herb

Posted by: Eugene Moore (---.dhcp.stls.mo.charter.com)
Date: February 02, 2018 12:20PM

Michael,
Welcome to the Cricketeers.
If this is your first experience with the Recoil guides, this is their only shortcoming I've found.
Rather than a screech look at it as the " chirp " from the crickets.
The best news is when the crickets are chirping the fish are hitting.
Faster damping, increased accuracy, better sensitivity, increased rod tip speed.
The chirp is a function of the rod blank frequency and comes and goes based on contact with the fly line and the line's condition.

Gene

Date: February 02, 2018 01:32PM

Thanks, guys. Yes,the guides are the heavy wire version, and yes, it is most likely that the line was dry when this happened. Not world peace, but wish it were not happening. The blank is an Eternity 2. Maybe I can find a more slippery dressing for the line, and it might help.

Posted by: Matthew Pitrowski (---.lightspeed.milwwi.sbcglobal.net)
Date: February 02, 2018 02:31PM

this from the old school had it happen from time to time and most times it was dirty line but when your out fishing and they are on the feed you just cant clean your line, so what we did was to lube the guides with rail lube for a cross bow or bow string wax found in the archery dept and would have it on hand for just that issue
After the day of fishing the line would then be cleaned and lubed properly as would the guides on the rod for the next outing.
yea it sounds kind of out there but it does save the day neither product will hurt the line or line as they are bees wax based products

The best day to be alive is always tomorrow !!
Think out side the box when all else fails !!!
Wi.

Posted by: Lance Schreckenbach (---.lightspeed.hstntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: February 02, 2018 04:43PM

How can I get mine to do that?
Its freezing here too, it looks like it will get down to 40F tonight (they will probably close my kids school). Yesterday was just a little chilly at 70F.

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: February 02, 2018 05:29PM

Noise from recoils is the one big complaint of them. It exists even with clean lines, it is their trait!

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: February 02, 2018 06:17PM

Tried the recoil guides on an 8 wgt I built for myself. Even though I am hard of hearing, I did not like the noise they made and replaced them with Snake Brand guides; no more noise.
Norm

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: February 02, 2018 06:41PM

I suspect that after some time using them you'll forget about the sound/noise. Plus it might scare bears away, if you fish in that sort of locale.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: February 03, 2018 08:41AM

Michael,
The solution is very simple.

Insert ear plugs and then pull your cap down around your ears, and tie the ear flaps tight around your chin so that you will be nice and snug in your little cocoon that is nice and warm and quiet. No noise at all from the guides or anywhere else.

Often, I do this to really enjoy the day for myself.

Good luck

Date: February 03, 2018 08:58AM

Very helpful, Roger. Will look forward to further advice on other issues.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: February 03, 2018 01:21PM

Michael,
On the topic of noise:

Several years ago, we were planning on a Christmas visit to my brother and family out in Montana. Before coming my sister in law asked if I would bring my ice fishing equipment and take my brother ice fishing, since he had never done that before.

Of course I agreed.

The first afternoon, we went up to the local city water supply lake and ended up fishing until well into the evening. We ended up with a nice limit of Rainbow trout.

The next afternoon, my brother took us for a long drive up to east central Montana to a reservoir on a small tributary. I had picked a spot and we were doing just fine catching fish.

It was a lovely winter day about 10 degrees, dead calm with a bright blue sky. Suddenly I stopped fishing and said to my brother:
"Listen"
He replied, "I don't hear anything."
I said "Exactly, there is a complete absence of noise. i.e. no people noise, no vehicle noise, no wind noise, no animal or bird noise. Just absolute silence."

For myself, who currently lives in a major metro area, the complete absence of any sound virtually never happens. There is always some sound source that is within earshot.

So, yes, I do value the times when I have little to no noise in my ears, since it seldom happens.

I also agree 100% that the sound of a line rasping and howling as it goes through guides is most disagreeable.

Be safe

Date: February 03, 2018 02:10PM

Yes, Tom, I will probably get used to it. It's not that often and not that big a deal. I asked since if a simple tiptop change would help, I'd do it. I do believe that I'll use other guides on my next fly rod, though. Thanks to all who contributed to this string.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: February 03, 2018 04:52PM

The REC choker guides are usually the source of the squeaks - and are unusually ugly, but not so ugly as REC tip-tops. That said REC NiTI running guides are my absolute first choice, and I have never heard them "sing". But I suspect if your line is dirty enough you could make them squeal in protest.

Date: February 03, 2018 05:44PM

Line had been treated with Loon either the night before or two nights before, fishing in ultra clear saltwater, so it wasn't especially dirty. My first two guides are Alps titanium, not REC. I just might try going to another tiptop. I thought I had remembered previous comments on the REC tiptops. Thanks,

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster