I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Applying finish at higher speed
Posted by: Paul Wood (---.columbus.res.rr.com)
Date: February 01, 2018 09:43PM

Hello All!
Just wondering what the pluses and minuses of applying finish at higher speeds are. I'm still a rookie(on my 17th rod) and have had pretty good success with finish on most of them, but I've read many posts and watched many videos on high speed application, and thinking about giving it a try. Logic dictates that I should stick to what I know works, but...
As always, your input is invaluable!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Applying finish at higher speed
Date: February 01, 2018 09:50PM

I forgot to mention...higher speed than the 9 RPM dryer I have from CRB or on my AmTack PW.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: February 01, 2018 10:19PM

Ralph O'Quinn was an advocate of application speed of about 200 RPM. With a spatula, of course.

Posted by: Grant Darby (---.wavecable.com)
Date: February 01, 2018 11:45PM

Higher speed = faster application and sharper, cleaner edges.

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: February 02, 2018 06:10AM

I've tried higher speeds, around 60 rpm, but did not feel confident I was filling the tunnels adequately. I expect that those who use higher speeds do a two stage application, one stage being filling the tunnels and the guide feet detailing, and second, high speed application to the rest of the wrap. But not sure, would appreciate comments from high speed applicators.

Posted by: Ron Weber (---.tc.ph.cox.net)
Date: February 02, 2018 07:54AM

I apply at 200 RPM, and with the slip clutch there is no issue with stopping the rod during the application process to address the tunnels

Ron Weber

Posted by: John Cates (---.sub-174-207-20.myvzw.com)
Date: February 02, 2018 11:21AM

Paul

Honestly, I can't imagine applying finish any slower than 200 rpm on most of the rods we build at our shop. Our FM200 is the same set up that we sell to the leading USA rod manufacturers with our OEM Drums. Our 200 rpm motor is USA made and assembled in Driftwood, Texas. Our slip clutch is the original precision milled brass that is guaranteed to spin true and is adjustable for the lightest of touch.

Here is a video that we put out a few years ago that shows how we do it:
[flexcoat.com]

Flex Coat Company
Professional Rod Building Supplies
www.flexcoat.com

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: February 02, 2018 02:42PM

John, very nice video, as is usual for Flex Coat. thanks

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: February 02, 2018 05:32PM

If you finish under power, the Flex Coat clutch is an exceptionally nice feature to have.

Date: February 02, 2018 07:42PM

Thanks for all the input. I'm going to give it a try tomorrow...I'll let you know how it turns out. Thanks again!

Posted by: herb canter (70.40.102.---)
Date: February 02, 2018 08:27PM

I see people saying it's easier to get clean edge , what exactly does that mean , how is it easier and would you say it's harder to get an edge by turning by hand ?

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: February 02, 2018 09:11PM

I'm with Ron and John, I use my CPW so it's just va guess on my part what speed I'm using, but I don't think I'm that far off.

Posted by: Tom Wewerka (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: February 02, 2018 10:12PM

X 2 On Ron Weber's comment

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: February 03, 2018 08:47AM

Paul,
If you have a power wrapper that you use to wrap rods, it is wonderful to use to apply finish.

As you finish your rod wrap, do your final guide alignment and check and put the rod back on the wrapper and apply your finish.

To keep finish off of the wrapper bed, I do use cardboard to fit between the rod rests to avoid finish being dripped onto the wrapper bed.

Other than that, turn on the wrapper and using your foot pedal vary the speed to apply the finish. Go as fast or as slow as you wish including stopping the rod for tunnel and other work where the rod needs to be halted.

You can apply finish from 0 to the fastest speed that your wrapper will turn if you should so choose.

I find comfortable to apply finish at most speeds between about 20 and 200 rpm.

Incidentally, when I wrap, I have the top of the blank rotating toward me since the thread is behind the wrapper bed and blank. But, to do a better job of applying finish, I prefer to have the top of the blank rotating away from me. That way the loaded bristles of the finish brush is pointing away from me to allow for a nice even finish application, with good feel and finish flow.

Best of luck

Date: February 03, 2018 07:18PM

I did just what you suggested, Roger...before I read your post! Definitely easier to apply at the faster speeds, with nice lines and a thin coat without the need to let it sag and wick away the excess. Looking forward to my next finish!
Thanks again for all the input!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster