I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Rod Dryer Issues
Posted by: Dane Griffin (---.au-net.ne.jp)
Date: February 01, 2018 12:22AM

Hello, I have the American Tackle Company Power Wrapper with the upgraded PacBay chuck and as my rod turns it slowly creeps out of the chuck. Has anyone else had this problem? How can I make it stop? It’s driving me nuts.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Rod Dryer Issues
Posted by: steve schuster (---.socal.res.rr.com)
Date: February 01, 2018 12:28AM

Try wrapping a rubber band around the end of the blank. Worked for me.

Posted by: Bill Sidney (---.gci.net)
Date: February 01, 2018 01:16AM

you will find that the center liner of the chuck with the jaws closed are not level with your rod rollers , pointing down or up a few degrees the jaws have to be in line with the rod rollers , quick fix tilt the jaw up or down so the handle will not walk out of the jaws on the power wrapper [shim one edge of the motor stand to tilt the jaws up or down ,
this problem only becomes apparent at slow speed over a long time, that is what I think , could be wrong

William Sidney
AK

Posted by: John Keough (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: February 01, 2018 06:02AM

I ended up taping my rod to the chuck, until I upgraded to the alps. I have seen many people have this same issure.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: February 01, 2018 06:36AM

Dane,
I agree with Steve. The very simple solution is to use a rubber band that is wrapped around the butt of the rod until the band is tight. I just use the smaller bands and loop them 2- or 3 times around the rod butt. This basically provides a rubber non slip grip for the chuck that precludes movement of the rod butt out of the chuck.

--
If you take a look at the Improved alps chuck, they use a taig chuck and place a rubber cap around the jaws to insure that the grip does not move.

----
Here are two sets of chuck jaw cushions for the Pac Bay chuck. If you do not have such cushions, buy a pair of the cushions and fit them to your chuck.
The concave set is for larger grips and the convex set is for smaller grips.

For virtually all of the rods that I build, I use the convex shape on the ends of my chuck jaws to give a better non marking grip to the chuck:

[www.anglersworkshop.com]

---------------------------------------------------
I have tried a lot of chucks over the years and with the current Taig chuck that I use, I machined a permenant concave shape into the ends of the aluminum jaws. I clamped my chuck down to the bed of my drill press and then used a drum sander of the appropriate size to gradually shape the 3 jaw set for the the chuck. The end result is that one gets a virtual perfect fit of the entire jaw face over the grip that one is holding with the chuck. I also lined the face of each jaw to form a resilient non slip surface for each of the jaws. Since then, nary a slip.

-----------------------------------------
If you take a look at the new Improved Alps head stock and its modified Taig chuck with its rubber sushioned jaws - it does exactly the same thing for an excellent fit. I also believe that the new Renzetti lathe and chucks use virtually the same excellent design.

[www.getbitoutdoors.com]

Here is a picture of the Renzetti wrapper chuck:
[www.renzetti.com]

This is the Taig Chuck with the reversible aluminum jaws. ---- I use this identical chuck. But, the one change that I made was to increase the size of the concave shape at the end of each jaw to give more gripping force to the chuck jaws.

Good luck

p.s.
The low cost fool proof method to keep your rod from slipping is to take a small rubber band and loop it a couple of times around the end of your grip, before putting it into the chuck and it will slip no more. It really won't matter if the rod is angled up a bit or down a bit either. The rubber band allows for the slight give necessary to accommodate a slight misalignment. The key element is to have the cushion to allow for any slight wobble, or misalignment in the rod to avoid having the rod work its way out of the chuck.

p.p.s.
By the way, an inexpensive virtual fool proof chuck to use for your dryer - if you are using it for drying only is to use the flex coat or the Mud hole style neoprene rubber chuck with the hole in the center. Simply put, these simple chucks do not slip.

[flexcoat.com]

[www.mudhole.com]

[www.mudhole.com]

p.p.p.s
If you have a pair of these chuck jaw cushions that have gotten old and or brittle and you are out of time to get a replacment set, you can make a slight modification to buy you some time until you get a new set.
Over time the material hardens and tends to get a bit slick. So, in a pinch, you can take a dremel tool with an abrasive disk and used carefully to cut shallow slits in the jaw cushions that are perpendicular to the rod butt when it is in the chuck. This gives the chuck the equivalent of several rubber bands around the rod butt and gives the cushions a bit more resilience to better maintain its grip. But, if the cushions are getting old and hard, you do want to get new cushions ordered and in for the better long term solution.

Good luck

Posted by: Mark Hahn (---.99.91.75.dynamic.ip.windstream.net)
Date: February 01, 2018 08:38AM

Same problem. I upgraded to the Pac Bay chuck and was disappointed. My answer was to buy the ALPS power wrapper and I haven't regretted it. I still use the American tackle with the Pac Bay chuck but I put a large hose clamp around the chuck jaws and finger tighten the nut. No problems then.

Posted by: Ray Zarychta (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: February 01, 2018 10:18AM

After tightening down the chuck I put a metal spring clamp onto the two tighting wheels, keeps the jaws from slipping open.

Ray Zarychta
Glastonbury, CT

Posted by: Robert A. Guist (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: February 01, 2018 03:30PM

Hello Dane.

I drilled & Tapped the first ring and put an allen head stop screw in it (67091 Allen Type Set Screw #5-40), (Allen-Type, Flat-Top, Cup-Point & Hex screws).

Hope this helps.

Tight Wraps & Tighter Lines.

Bob,

New Bern, NC.

Posted by: Dane Griffin (---.au-net.ne.jp)
Date: February 01, 2018 08:11PM

Thank you everyone for the help. The temporary answer for me was the rubber band on the butt, helps to hold the rod in place very well. The permanent fix looks like an upgrade in the future to the Alps chuck, which is cheaper and has much better features than the PacBay, very disappointed with that purchase.

Date: February 02, 2018 12:20AM

if the center line of the chuck is not lined up with the rollers it will walk , right, left, up or down , fastest way to fix it is shim the motor mount , to line every thing up ,
this will only happen on the drying speed as it runs a long time , [ the reason no flex joint ] , some thing has to move [ it walks the rod out of the jaws] ,
this don't have to be perfect line up, eye ball should be good , the rubber on the jaws will give a little , a straight wooden rod tighten in the jaw should show what I am talking about,
you will not need rubber bands to hold the jaws tight ,when you use rubber bands the rod flex's ,
PS once you line every thing up, one time you will never have to do it again

William Sidney
AK

Posted by: Glen Hendricks (---.lightspeed.hstntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: February 14, 2018 10:16PM

I had the same problem. What I do is get some rubber tape and put one single wrap on the blank don't let the rubber tape over lap each end and that works great

I Was Born Without Gills, Therefore I Fish!
Love The Wife! Live Long! Fish Till You Die!

Date: February 20, 2018 02:15PM

yes the rubber tape will work on some units, all depends on the amount of miss aliment of chuck to rollers, remember this is only a problem on the drying side , with the long
drying time ,it is there on the fast speed also , [ on 2 speed units] but you are working on it then an only for a few MIN. , not hrs. like on the drying side , that is what I found on my unit ,

William Sidney
AK

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/20/2018 02:17PM by Bill Sidney.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster