I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Short 10 and 12wt Fly Blank Recs?
Posted by: Matt Bregartner (---.msl-mt.client.bresnan.net)
Date: January 31, 2018 02:03AM

Looking to make a short 10 weight and 12 wt for fishing from pike and musky from the boat. I would like one piece blanks, and if anyone has input on rod length, I'm guessing somewhere between 7'6" and 8".

I've seen people suggest dividing the rod weight by 16 to get the oz lure weight (so a 12 wt would be a 3/4 lure blank). There seems to be a ton of different blank types and for example I have no idea how a popping blank will act as a fly rod versus any other type of blank.

If anyone has some more specific guidelines I should be looking for in a blank for fly use, I'd appreciate it

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Short 10 and 12wt Fly Blank Recs?
Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.lightspeed.rcsntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 31, 2018 12:07PM

Why not just buy a one piece fly rod blank in the weight you want.
A #12 is a little over kill for pike and musky.
I would go with a #10 or #11(max). Don't forget as you go shorter - the power will increase and the casting will become problematic.
If you go with a #11 I would go with a custom blank with a moderate action - that's assuming you stay with your 8" spec.
7'6" is too short. I built a 7'6" #16 fly rod for a customer for use on Tuna. I think he should have specified 8'0".
Herb
U.S. Distributor CTS blanks

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: January 31, 2018 02:09PM

Several years ago I built a fly rod from an 8' hot shot blank. It made a very fast action 11wt. fly rod that casts surprisingly well and has a vey powerful butt section for fighting big fish. The blank was rated for 3/4 ounce lures, and ~3/4 ounce is what the head of an 11 wt. fly line weighs. I was a bit surprised that the conversion worked, but it does. That rod has handled many spawning Chinook Salmon in the upper 30# range in strong river currents. With its soft tip I would not use heavy wire fly hooks much larger than 2/0.

Posted by: Bill Hickey (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: January 31, 2018 03:58PM

Herb makes some very valid points.

First, a 12 wt is heavy for pike or musky, 10 would serve very well. Moderate action too, a tip flex carbon blank at 7-10 to 8ft is going to feel like a pool cue stick, and like Herb stated, it will get worse as you go shorter.

I'd lean towards Fiberglass, 8ft in a 10wt, CTS has made this blank several times. Also Epic has a 10wt called the Bandit, 7-10 in 10wt, while it is a multi piece blank, it is a dream to cast for such a short but heavy rod. CTS rolls the Epic Blanks. You can turn over some pretty large streamers on that stick.

One guy that I know who has an 8ft 10wt CTS Quartz uses it on Peacock Bass, his is 3pc for travel purposes, but according to him it handles those fish with ease. He has also tangled with a few musky on it too. I also know a few gents that have the Epic Bandit, they love it, carp, musky, pike.

The heaviest glass I own are several 8wts, 8ft to 8-9 in length. They have no issues with carp, bass, pike and when paired with the right lines they can lay out some line, even the short 8 footer.

CTS should not have a problem with making a blank for you, just contact Herb.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: January 31, 2018 06:48PM

Have used popping rod blanks, steelhead and hotshot blanks for flyrods, the blank doesn't care what you use it for as long as you get the power right.
Caught lots of pike in the early season in real shallow water on a rod built on a Rainshadow IP963, have caught them from 5 to 60 ft. away from the rod tip with that stick, the close ones near give you a heart attack when they hit almost at your feet. Same rod get used for bass in the pads on sliders, etc. Schneiders has the blank at a great price.
There is a website called the Worried Shrimp, he has built two rods on hotshot blanks, one 7 1/2 ft. the other 8 1/2 ft. that he built to fish fly, spinning or casting, surprisingly nice rods, work much better than you'd expect.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: January 31, 2018 06:59PM

Get back 10 years ago and later there was some fishing mangroves with short fly rods built on 7 - 8 ft. blanks, some even used the lighter powered mag bass blanks if my memory serves me.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/31/2018 07:04PM by Spencer Phipps.

Posted by: Matt Bregartner (---.msl-mt.client.bresnan.net)
Date: January 31, 2018 09:36PM

To clarify, the 10 is for pike and 12 is for musky. I don't think 12 is overkill for musky flies nor the 10 being too much stick after using both a 9 and a 10 for pike.

I have a lot of glass rods but I really would not want them for all day casting in those sizes.

Spencer Phipps Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Have used popping rod blanks, steelhead and
> hotshot blanks for flyrods, the blank doesn't care
> what you use it for as long as you get the power
> right.
> Caught lots of pike in the early season in real
> shallow water on a rod built on a Rainshadow
> IP963, have caught them from 5 to 60 ft. away from
> the rod tip with that stick, the close ones near
> give you a heart attack when they hit almost at
> your feet. Same rod get used for bass in the pads
> on sliders, etc. Schneiders has the blank at a
> great price.
> There is a website called the Worried Shrimp, he
> has built two rods on hotshot blanks, one 7 1/2
> ft. the other 8 1/2 ft. that he built to fish fly,
> spinning or casting, surprisingly nice rods, work
> much better than you'd expect.

What weight would you say the IP963 ended up as? Any other blanks you liked?

Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.lightspeed.rcsntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 31, 2018 09:57PM

Matt
I am sure that you have done much more musky fishing (casting) than I.
But what I do know is that one does a whole lot of casting. A # 12 is much too stiff to cast all day. Tarpon - O.K. - because one may make 10 casts all day.
I've casted fully dressed musky flys on a fast 9'0" 10wt. overlined with a Wulff Bermuda Triangle #11.
I still maintain that you would be happier with a moderate action #10 or 11 - IF - you are wanting a shorter rod.
Herb

Posted by: Eugene Moore (---.dhcp.stls.mo.charter.com)
Date: February 01, 2018 09:54AM

Matt,
Two blanks that come to mind quickly are the Sage Bass II 290 and the 390
Both are 8 foot.
The 290 will handle your 10 weight
The 390 will handle your 12 weight
Since getting older I also prefer the shorter rods in the heavier line weights.
The reduced length is easier on my elbow and enables me to cast all day without feeling the effects of the extra line weight.
If you looking for another rod you might try the Mojo bass from St Croix. These are also 8 foot rods for heavier lines, but have been unable to get the "bare" blanks.
If you wish to go shorter you might look in spinning blanks, but the pickings are "slim"

Gene

Posted by: David Fowler (---.lightspeed.mdsnwi.sbcglobal.net)
Date: February 01, 2018 05:46PM

If you want to forego building a rod, I just saw this TFO rod on sale at Sierra Trading Post. I have no experience with it, but it is a reasonable price and looks like what you may be looking for:

[www.sierratradingpost.com]

Dave Fowler

Date: February 02, 2018 10:19AM

If your casting arm/shoulder/elbow hurts when you cast a 10 wt. line you should probably improve your double-haul technique - where the arm holding the rod is used primarily to steer the line and the free arm hauls to power the cast.

Posted by: Eugene Moore (---.dhcp.stls.mo.charter.com)
Date: February 02, 2018 12:28PM

Phil,
Action and reaction.
The elbow still must apply the counter force to the "haul".
By reducing rod length less torque is required for a given load, hence less load on your elbow.
Fishing without discomfort when you're making several hundred casts a session, as in fishing flowing streams, is a major annoyance that is quickly lessened with a shorter rod.
I still "haul" for extended casting distance and accuracy when windy. I just want to reduce the torque.

Gene

Date: February 02, 2018 02:57PM

I double- haul on every cast over 20', which in the salt is pretty much every cast. I double haul out of habit on fresh water lakes and streams when I don't roll cast. When I haul my elbow bends very little, and this lack of movement does not perceptibly stress my elbow. I started fly casting in the mid 1950's and I'm not in particularly good shape now but I just returned from a full day's [double-haul] fly casting for shad with a 9' rod on the Saint Johns River and my right arm, which mainly steers my casts, does not bother me in the least?!

Posted by: Laurent Keiff (37.168.200.---)
Date: February 08, 2018 09:25AM

I've built a cannon out of a hs9600-2 from mhx.
AA=72
ERN=11.8

it's cool for powerfishing with small streamers (>3")
But it's an arm crusher with large streamers. I'm with the guys who advocate midflex for 10wt+

Prostaff Rodhouse
[www.rodhouse.fr]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/08/2018 09:32AM by Laurent Keiff.

Apologies for post clones.
Something went wrong with my phone. Can someone delete these?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/08/2018 09:35AM by Laurent Keiff.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/08/2018 09:34AM by Laurent Keiff.

Date: February 08, 2018 09:26AM

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/08/2018 09:33AM by Laurent Keiff.

Date: February 08, 2018 09:26AM

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/08/2018 09:33AM by Laurent Keiff.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster