I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Renzetti Rod Lathe - motor rotation direction
Posted by: Jon Hood (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: January 24, 2018 08:33PM

Hello all,
Just received my Renzetti rod lathe and let me begin by saying - WOW! Wish I had ordered it 2 years ago when I first asked you all - your recommendations about upgrading the equipment I had. Beautifully machined and fits together almost seamlessly. Just plain awesome craftsmanship!
Anyway,
I want to set the lathe up on the opposite side of the table I had originally planned (wife thing), so I basically need to run right to left instead of the way it is currently designed - left to right.
So, It seem I should be able to put the carriage on the opposite side of the lathe, but then the motor will need to turn the opposite way.
The motor is the one at came with the lathe - Dayton 2M037A 115V 1/10HP 1.5AMP.
My question is how do I reverse the rotation from CCW to CW? Or is this motor available in a CW rotation?

Any recommendations/suggestions/INSTRUCTIONS would be greatly appreciated! I need to get this beast set and rolling!!!!

Thank you,

Jon Hood

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/24/2018 08:36PM by Jon Hood.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Renzetti Rod Lathe - motor rotation direction
Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: January 24, 2018 09:34PM

Jon,
Here is the Graingers link to the Daytons's motors.
[www.grainger.com]

Notice that all of the motors run the same direction as the 2m037 with the exception of the 2m034.

But, the 2m034 has slightly less power and it has a sleeve bearing - rather than a ball bearing.

But, to answer your question about possibly reversing the direction of your current motor and the basic answer is NO. As the catalog suggests, the motors are non reversible.

With these universal motors, the brushes are set at a particular angle with respect to the motor armature, and even if you reversed the wiring of the brush to armature wiring - you would have a motor that would run in the opposite direction, but would not do it very well and would be doing a lot of brush sparking and arcing and it would seriously shorten the life of the motor.

But, if you are using the power wrapping only for wrapping and not for any type of sanding, the slightly less power of the 2m034 motor would work just fine. But, also with the sleeve bearing of the replacement motor you would also have a shorter motor life than the current motor.

-------------------------
If you would like to use the wrapper in your desired configuration; here is the necessary motor from Amazon for $80.

[www.amazon.com]

Keep your current motor and if you need to do some light shaping, you could always swap motors in a few minutes to give you the slightly greater amount of power.

Again, this motor has the correct brush orientation to give you good long lived performance in the direction you want to turn with identical mounts and shaft sizes.

Good luck

Date: January 24, 2018 10:36PM

Here is another option for you:

[www.amazon.com]

It is the Daytom 2m066 double ended motor.

Basically, it is a similar hp and direction, but with the shaft on each end of the motor, you can mount the motor one way to have the motor operatie in one direction. But, if you want to have the power go in the opposite direction, just unscrew the two mounting bolts, flip the motor, and remount the motor and motor pulley on the other end of the motor.

You will have the same power since you have not switched the internals of the motor, you have just flipped ends on the motor - in exactly the same way that you flipped the power wrapper. So, if you have this motor, just flip the motor any time that you flip the orientation of the wrapper.

Good luck:

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: January 24, 2018 10:52PM

Uhm....yeah. Just figure 8 your vee belt.

Posted by: herb canter (70.40.85.---)
Date: January 25, 2018 12:13AM

Jon Hood : I want to set the lathe up on the opposite side of the table I had originally planned (wife thing).

Man, sounds like an awful lot of work , i think replacing the wife would be the easier option.

Posted by: Nicholas Riccardi (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: January 25, 2018 09:12AM

herb canter Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Jon Hood : I want to set the lathe up on the
> opposite side of the table I had originally
> planned (wife thing).
>
>
>
>
>
> Man, sounds like an awful lot of work , i think
> replacing the wife would be the easier option.

Herb, be veeerrryyy careful, any wife that would allow you to buy a Renzetti--ANY THING--has got to have parked her wings somewhere. Just the name Renzetti makes me drool excessively.

Posted by: Jon Hood (---.sub-174-228-4.myvzw.com)
Date: January 25, 2018 10:44AM

You nailed Nicholas!
Surely one one else has accomplished this. Enlighten me please!

Thank you,

Jon Hood

Posted by: Matthew Pitrowski (---.lightspeed.milwwi.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 25, 2018 10:47AM

Billy V has a good answer

The best day to be alive is always tomorrow !!
Think out side the box when all else fails !!!
Wi.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: January 25, 2018 10:53AM

Trouble with a figure 8 in the belt is that it may require a longer belt (depending on your amount of motor adjustment) and places much greater wear and tear on the belt.

The other easy option is to reverse the motor mounting. Put the motor carriage on the opposite side and adjust accordingly. There really is no need to buy a different motor or rewire anything.

Date: January 25, 2018 11:29AM

Tom,
I like the sound of that but would the motor still need to face the opposite direction? And that would mean the motor wood need to be mounted right along side the head stock tower and I’m not sure ho I would do that.
Thanks,

Jon Hood

Date: January 25, 2018 11:42AM

If your motor bracket and adjustment arm are the same as mine, then you could reverse the mount and the motor will clear the headstock support. In fact, you'll actually gain about 6 inches of useable bed length this way.

Some of the older Renzetti's had the motor mounted on the back of the headstock support. This is always an option. It was usually attached with a simple hinge, one side on the motor and one side on the support. The motor weight provided the bet tension.

Date: January 25, 2018 11:46AM

Tom,

Can you explain to me how putting the motor on the opposite side will help anything. Which opposite side are you talking about.

---------------------
The standard motor that comes with the power wrapper turns counter clockwise, when looking at the motor from the shaft end of the motor.

The standard wrapper is used with the motor mounted behind and on the side of the headstock.

Even, if the motor was brought to the front of the lathe bed the motor is still turning the same direction and the chuck will still turn counter clockwise when looking at the face of the chuck.

But, if the headstock is on the right side of the user, the chuck needs to be turning in a clockwise direction so that the thread comes over the top of the rod for wrapping.

------------------
Without changing the motor or the motor direction, the flipping of the power wrapper and maintaining the correct chuck rotation, so that the thread continues to come over the top of the rod - could be accomplished by mounting the motor directly behind, or directly in front of the head stock. This could be done if a new motor mount were fabricated to allow the motor to be mounted in that position. So, some sort of U bracket could be designed and manufactured so that the motor could be mounted directly behind of or in front of the head stock rather than beside it as is currently the case.

This mount would effectively do the same thing as using the opposite end of a double end shafted motor and driving from the opposite end of the motor.

If I have made a mistake, please clarify my thinking.

Take care

Date: January 25, 2018 12:07PM

Here is one picture of a wrapper with a motor setup that would be needed if the head stock were on the right side of the user and the wrapper used a counter clock wise running motor as is the case with the Renzetti, but allows the chuck to turn in the necessary clockwise direction to allow the thread to be brought over the top of the rod for wrapping. Note, that the motor would be mounted in front of the head stock, or it could be mounted behind the wrapper.

You could essentially do the same thing with the Renzetti and the current motor, but you would likely need to purchase a longer belt than the belt that comes with the renzetti.

But, these 1/8th inch wide 3M belts can be obtained in various lengths.

[www.amazon.com]

Here is a selection of various length belts:

[www.amazon.com]

--------------------
Another picture of a wrapper with the motor mounted behind the head stock to give one the correct motor direction with the chuck on the right side of the user with the motor turning counter clock wise from the shaft end.

Date: January 25, 2018 12:42PM

Tom,
Are you talking about putting the head stock all the way to the end of the track, then put the motor mount actually in front of the head stock with the motor and shaft running along the side of the head stock facing the opposite direct as it was originally?

Thanks,

Date: January 25, 2018 12:52PM

Somewhat, yes. I looked at mine and there is space to do it that way. Now I did get the very first of the new Craftsman models so Andy may have changed a thing or two since then. Not sure.

Date: January 25, 2018 01:09PM

Tom,
I will definitely try it that way - that would put the motor bracket directly under the chuck correct?

Date: January 25, 2018 04:00PM

Jon,
Doesn't your rod wrapper look like this one?

[www.google.com]:

i.e. the head stock is mounted on the track and then the motor is mounted on the track beside it?

If so, it would see to me that if you put the motor on the other side of the head stock all that you would accomplish is that you would block the chuck from accepting any rods.

i.e. the motor mount and motor are still going to be in line with the head stock so to speak and neither in front of; nor behind the head stock.

But, I can certainly understand that if a different motor mount were fabricated to enable to have the motor mounted - either in front of; or behind the motor - and with a likely change to a different length belt that the chuck reversal could be achieved.

It still seems to me that the best solution is to buy a different motor that runs in the opposite direction, or buy a double ended motor that could be flipped to effect motor direction.

p.s.
If you can put the motor where you think it would work - and take a picture and post it. I would appreciate seeing it.

Thanks for your time.

Date: January 25, 2018 04:11PM

Tom mentioned a hinge mounted motor.

I expect that he was referring to one of the clemens wrappers that used such a design as this one that belongs to Barry:

[www.rodbuilding.org]

To continue using your current motor but have it turn the chuck in the opposite direction, this is the location where you need to have your motor and belt.

As you can see, in this picture, the hinge is mounted directly below the head stock, so that the motor can be in front - or behind the head stock such that the motor pulley lines up with the head stock pulley.

--
With the hardware that came with your new power wrapper, I don't believe that it will happen, unless you formulate some additional parts and likely a different length belt.

Take care

Date: January 25, 2018 04:38PM

Renzetti made the early Clemens Lathes. Yes, many had the motor mounted to the back of the headstock with a simple, narrow hinge. They worked well.

Posted by: Jon Hood (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: January 25, 2018 06:45PM

Ok,
I am finally home. I can move the motor bracket to the front of the head stock and the motor bracket will be directly under the chuck- this position will not interfere with anything. However, if I go this route - I will have to use something like 5/16" aluminum flat bar, drill and tap the new holes for the motor, and do the same to attach it to the supplied motor bracket as the pulley is short about 2.5" from matching up with the head stock pulley . That is one way - Does anyone have a better idea or possibly already perfected this issue? Surely someone has wanted the Renzetti to wrap right to left!

Thanks everyone!

Jon Hood

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster