I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Bubble Buster ??
Posted by: Bill Sidney (---.gci.net)
Date: January 17, 2018 10:17PM

"" Mudhole"" did sell "" Bubble Buster"" an they still might in the store , but it can not shipped any more, some one put out how they made up, as I did not jot it down,
so I would like to know what the make up is , an what the %% of of the make up thanks for the help if some one can help

William Sidney
AK

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Bubble Buster ??
Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: January 17, 2018 11:32PM

I just use my heat gun. Works very very well.

Be safe

Date: January 17, 2018 11:57PM

bubble buster , thanks for your replay's but it can not be sent to my State, the bubble buster works a lot better than heat gun , I get way to m from dust in my epoxy from the heat gun
some one said about MEK or TRIK , I just lost all the info , an I don't know the % of what ??

William Sidney
AK

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: January 18, 2018 12:17AM

ll,
Open all of the windows in your work shop. Take an electric leaf blower and blow all of the dust out of the room, off the walls, ceilings, floors and out of all of the toolls including the heat gun.

With no dust in the room, and no dust in the heat gun, you should not get any dust from the gun as you use it for your rod building.

When working continuously, I always blow all of the dust out of the room at least once a week.

Note:
I do not do any Dust creating work in the work shop that I use for rod building and wrapping. All of the dust creating work, sanding, chopping etc. is always done in a different building. Then, all of the work going out of that building is blown off with high pressure air, before moving into the wrapping shop, so I minimize the amount of dust brought into the shop as well.

Never really had any issue with dust coming from the heat gun onto my work.

Good luck

Date: January 18, 2018 12:18AM

got what I needed from a different FORUM , thanks for all the input

William Sidney
AK

Posted by: Matthew Pitrowski (---.lightspeed.milwwi.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 18, 2018 12:26AM

well if that is the situation then what you can try is to hit the hardware store and pick up some xylene or toluene and put in a spray bottle and mix up some epoxy and give it a try and see if that works as they both have a high evaporation rate

did a short search and what I found is that it is methanol alcohol based with other ingredients
[www.chemfast.com]

I would try an automotive paint store near you as they handle all the glass and epoxies for repairing fiberglass body panels or there is the marine boat repair shops they probably handle it.

The best day to be alive is always tomorrow !!
Think out side the box when all else fails !!!
Wi.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/18/2018 12:53AM by Matthew Paul.

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: January 18, 2018 11:52AM

Gently blowing air across the epoxy with a straw works well without the risk of damaging the epoxy or stirring up dust. Regardless of whether one does dust-generating work in his wrapping room, there is some dust. Occasional vacuuming helps. Leaf blower? I don't think so, but I'll ask my wife.

Posted by: Grant Darby (---.wavecable.com)
Date: January 18, 2018 12:31PM

Just curious Bill, the bubble buster Utmost carries is a plastic bottle, wick and some marbles. They ship them all over the place. It's just an empty bottle. You can't get that shipped to Alaska??

Date: January 18, 2018 01:20PM

I did not try "" Utmost "" , I do most of my ordering from Mudhole , an they said last time, I ordered, I was told can't ship to Alaska , The carrier would not take it ,so here I am ,
but some people here an from a different FOURM gave me what I needed to mix some up , don't need much but when you need it you need it , don't build much anymore
just family an friends now ,

THANKS FOR ALL THE HELP

William Sidney
AK

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/18/2018 01:21PM by Bill Sidney.

Posted by: Bob McKamey (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: January 18, 2018 01:40PM

The Bubble Buster we carried at Mud Hole Custom Tackle was a liquid that you could spray on thread finish to bust the bubbles, not the plastic bottle with a wick, that you use for flaming and heating finish. Two different products.

Bob McKamey
Mud Hole Custom Tackle
bobm@mudhole.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/18/2018 03:12PM by Bob McKamey.

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: January 18, 2018 04:58PM

The plastic bottle with marbles is meant to be filled with alcohol, squeeze the bottle with the wick lit, and a miniature "blowtorch" is formed.

Posted by: Jay Dubay (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: January 18, 2018 08:07PM

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: January 18, 2018 09:05PM

The alcohol torch used by dental or jewelery shops work just as well.

Date: January 19, 2018 12:45PM

Thanks for all the help I am not a fan of the DNA torch for bubble busting an most all the bubble busters that I have looked into from the jobbers on the left will not send it to Alaska
air carrier's will not handle it on a plane , so I have to make it , up here, the builders on this forum have given me a lot of ideas I will have to try some out to see what one works best for me , m THANKS FOR ALL THE HELP

William Sidney
AK

Posted by: Robert Hummel (---.lightspeed.dybhfl.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 19, 2018 03:29PM

Bill, I tried to get some from Mudhole when I was there about a year ago. They said that they no longer carry it because of the shipping issues . I would like to see if I could make some up for myself, could you send me the information you found or the forum where you found the information. bobhummel@aol.com Thanks I would really appreciate the help.

Date: January 19, 2018 05:28PM

Robert Email sent X 3 enjoy

William Sidney
AK

Posted by: Charlie Visek (---.client.mchsi.com)
Date: January 19, 2018 05:39PM

Just use an air popper for a heat source. Does a decent job for making crank stencils too! frees up both hands, I use a HF pedal switch to control. Usually though I must admit I just wave a bic lighter a few inches below the wraps to smooth out and release bubbles.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/20/2018 09:37AM by Charlie Visek.

Date: January 19, 2018 07:40PM

Thanks Charlie, I will see if I can figure how to do it , an try it , I did find out the heavy -er the epoxy is [ stiffer ] the harder it is to get some bubbles out ,
[ for me ] I think it is the surface tension on the epoxy or some thing like that ,

William Sidney
AK

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/19/2018 07:48PM by Bill Sidney.

Posted by: Grant Darby (---.wavecable.com)
Date: January 20, 2018 01:02PM

There was a thread on one of the SoCal boards that suggested a perfume atomiser and acetone. The very light mist is what did the trick. Only works if you can acetone up there!! Why not use a finish mixer and eliminate the bubbles all together?

Date: January 20, 2018 02:18PM

we get all the chemicals [ big box hardware stores , an car paint shops ] , thanks for the input , have to try some of the ideas out , I don't get many bubbles
but when I do get one , it is stubborn

William Sidney
AK

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster