I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

POINT Blank Refresher
Posted by: Jim Ising (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: January 16, 2018 03:05PM

It occurs to me that there are a good number of new visitors here that may not be familiar with our POINT Blank products. POINT Blank is a proprietary blank made solely for Anglers Resource. It's a high modulus blank coming from a highly regarded factory that markets only complete rods other than the blanks they sell to us. The original prototypes were designed by Al Jackson, the guy who, along with Gary Loomis, co-designed some of the most legendary Loomis blanks. We gave those prototypes (amazing!) to a 25-man R&D team at this factory (Fuji and our trading partner introduced us to this factory but are not otherwise involved in the blank). The team added the latest technologies - fibers and resins - to the design we provided and produced 20 models from 6'6" to 8' that ultimately became the POINT Blank selection. We concentrate on the elite bass and inshore saltwater market, and strive to offer what many users describe as one of the top 5 premium blanks available. POINT Blank is a very light, highly sensitive blank with a fast to extra fast action and a large diameter, very powerful bottom third. It is very high modulus and we don't claim it is right for ALL fishing situations. It excels anywhere that "lure contact", repetitive long casting and fast hook-sets are called for. Although you can't feel a blank on the internet, we have made the attempt to describe the way each blank fishes, what range of lures will likely work best and what you might expect - along with detailed specs on each model. Visit [www.pointblankrods.com]. Any questions can be addressed to info@anglersresource.net. Thanks!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: POINT Blank Refresher
Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: January 16, 2018 03:25PM

What color are they?

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.97.252.156.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: January 16, 2018 03:39PM

Phil, there are some photos on the Anglers Resource website.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 16, 2018 03:45PM

In my opinion, they absolutely fantastic blanks with a very light and unique feel. I love them!
Norm

Posted by: Jim Ising (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: January 16, 2018 05:01PM

The original blanks featured a lightly sanded finish that had a noticeable ridge we called "cat's tongue". We have maintained a little of that feel but recent blanks are smoother to accommodate easier wrapping.

Posted by: Jay Dubay (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: January 16, 2018 07:29PM

Message sent, Thanks Jim !!

Posted by: Nick Lam (---.lmi.net)
Date: January 16, 2018 11:40PM

Video of my Point Blank PB761MF vs an 8lb and then a 10+lb bass back to back. You can see the action really well, love it.

[www.youtube.com]

Nick

Posted by: herb canter (70.40.102.---)
Date: January 17, 2018 01:36AM

Nick Lam Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Video of my Point Blank PB761MF vs an 8lb and then
> a 10+lb bass back to back. You can see the action
> really well, love it.
>
> [www.youtube.com]
>
> Nick

Wow, great video , that blank bends much deeper down into the butt area than i expected it to , thanks for posting .

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: January 17, 2018 02:05AM

The fish eye effect of the wide angle lens exaggerrated the bend just a bit.

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: January 17, 2018 07:46AM

I agree with Norman's assessment. Great blanks.

If wrapping one for the first time, take care with the loads on your wrapper wheels as they can smooth out the finish a bit. Especially when they will run for long periods, as in turning as the epoxy sets.

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: January 17, 2018 07:49AM

I also agree with Spencer-that bend at the butt is much exaggerated from reality.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 17, 2018 10:26AM

I agree, these blanks are not parabolic at all, Nice video Nick, I enjoyed it.
Norm

Posted by: David Baylor (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: January 17, 2018 04:52PM

Never handled one of the blanks, and yes the lens of the camera clearly shows a curve to the blank even when the rod isn't under a load, but those are two serious toads right there!!! lol

Dang nice job fighting those fish Nick. With the specs on that blank most factory rods would call that a medium heavy power rod. Even at that, fish like that are going to put a serious bend in even the stoutest of freshwater blanks.

Absolutely gorgeous fish !!!

Posted by: Thomas Kaufmann (107.77.83.---)
Date: January 17, 2018 10:49PM

Jim, y’all ever get that 731 mhf figured out?

Posted by: Nick Lam (---.lmi.net)
Date: January 17, 2018 11:54PM

Thanks guys, that was a fun video to edit. The fish eye does distort the action a little bit and the rod takes a little getting used to. The blank itself is probably one of the lightest in class that I have built. I would compare the action close to the new slate rainshadow eternity blanks, but lighter. The old blue eternity blanks were still the fastest blanks Ive ever pulled on. There is a place for it if thats what you're into.

Nick

Posted by: Calver Skrien (196.52.21.---)
Date: January 18, 2018 06:04AM

Great video! Thanks for sharing about the product as well. :)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster