I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Exposed blank reel seat sizing
Posted by: Joe Doyle (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: January 11, 2018 10:58AM

I am about to build a light conventional setup on a Castaway SWR-IP 842 that I got a long time ago. This will be used with a low-profile baitcaster, and I plan to use an exposed blank trigger seat. I have marked out where the reel will sit, and my measurements show between a 9.8 to 9.9 opening at the tip end, to about a 10.1 on the butt end of the area. Am I better off buying a seat (thinking a Fuji ECSM, ACS, or possibly a Minima Ultra-lite) with size 9.5 I.D. and them reaming it to fit snugly, or should I go with a 10 I.D. and have a bit of space for epoxy?

Thanks all.
Joe

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Exposed blank reel seat sizing
Posted by: Ray Zarychta (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: January 11, 2018 12:00PM

IMHO, reaming to fit produces a nicer, cleaner finished seat assembly. Still plenty of surface for adhesion.

Ray Zarychta
Glastonbury, CT

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 11, 2018 12:28PM

I agree, go smaller and ream to fit.
Norm

Posted by: David Baylor (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: January 11, 2018 04:03PM

As others have said, go smaller, and if you need to, ream to fit. You may not need to ream at all depending on the actual dimension of the seat you order. Just a suggestion .... when you order which ever seat you go end up going with, either call them and talk to someone, or put a notation with your order, that you'd like them to measure the seat they're going to send you. The last two seats of that type (different seat than the ones you mentioned) that I ordered, were not their advertised ID.

Tell the person that you personally will ream the seat. You just want to be sure that you don't get a seat that is over sized.

Just something about the Minima seat. It's a nice seat, but as a two piece seat you're only concerned with the ID of the trigger portion of the seat. The thread section is a tube that you'll either have to make some sort of arbor to mount it on the rod, or you can use one of the foam insert shims and ream it to fit the blank.

And one last thing about the Minima seat that may sway you one way or the other. If you have used a split seat then you are aware that they don't fill your hand like an ECSM or ACS. I found the Minima seat to be uncomfortable to use for a flipping and pitching presentation. I don't have a comfort problem with split seats of any other presentations. Just flipping and pitching. It's a hand position thing for me. It may not be something that bothers you, but may be something to think about.

Posted by: Joe Doyle (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: January 12, 2018 09:05AM

Thank you all for your input. This gives me a much better idea of what I need.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster